Shaking Alternator Hits Exhaust Manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I've been slowly base lining my truck and have an interesting problem. At a certain RPM, about 650, the alternator shakes back and forth hitting the exhaust manifold. I actually suspecting the engine was knocking because of the similarity in sound and the fact that it happens when the engine is warm and you put a load from stop.

Anyway, I took it to a mechanic who saw the alternator and told me it might be a loose/worn bracket or completely broken. I have a feeling it might be the tension on the belts isn't quite correct. I did the "tight enough" method. I also do notice some belt wobble, but it is on the power steering pulley.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

('92 FJ80, 3FE)

Thanks

The alternator should not move relative to the motor, so missing/loose hardware, brackets, etc.

👆 👆 👆 👆 👆 👆 👆

I am looking through my watched threads tying up loose ends. This problem was resolved. I was missing a nut behind/under the alternator which let it move. Got a nut from toyota after they gave me the part number and its been good ever since. The nut, or lack there of, is visible under the truck.

I’m having a similar weird “rattle” type of noise that is present at idle and am missing a nut on the bottom of the alternator bracket. The first picture is from the bottom and the missing nut would be facing the front of the cruiser. The second picture is the bolt for the missing nut from the top and the back side of the alternator facing the firewall. Is this the same nut you were missing? Do you by chance have a part number if so, thanks.
35869892-23CA-4545-BEB1-04ACB8096C5B.jpeg
FA997A10-0229-451C-8283-A4281F1D67C1.jpeg

@OG62 I took a pic of the nut I replaced. I couldn't orient myself in your pics.

20201020_014400.jpg

The nut is right above the belt text, next to the alternator blade. As for part number, I don't have it. Its a nut with a built in washer. Similar to (if not exactly like) the battery terninal nut. Any toyota dealer should be able to help you out.

@OG62 I took a pic of the nut I replaced. I couldn't orient myself in your pics.

View attachment 2470676

The nut is right above the belt text, next to the alternator blade. As for part number, I don't have it. Its a nut with a built in washer. Similar to (if not exactly like) the battery terninal nut. Any toyota dealer should be able to help you out.
Thanks for the info, I’ll see if the dealer can help me out with the nut.

Well I got a nut today for it and it definitely fixed the noise/vibration at idle and low acceleration. It is an M10x1.25 if anybody needs it. Toyota part number is 90179-10132 but they didn’t have one at my local dealer so I got one from Home Depot and it fit great. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom