Seat frame rattle can paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@DJ45 - If it's the Pewter color, try the paint from Cruiser Corps. I have bought a few cans and like it. Link below.

CruiserCorps Pewter Rattle Can Paint

I included a picture of a rim I painted with the Pewter color paint.
IMG_1931.JPG

@DJ45 - If it's the Pewter color, try the paint from Cruiser Corps. I have bought a few cans and like it. Link below.

View attachment 2378046

View attachment 2378046
Thanks xtremeVA
Cool. Thanks. Can you tell me if the screws that hold the front seat backs on (fj45 pu) are the same as the screws on the fj40 jump seats?

Got mine here Phillips Oval Head Tapping Screws With Attached Washers, Apparel Snaps, Fasteners, Phillips Oval Head Tapping Screws With Attached Washers, Stainless Steel Screws from Rochford Supply - Your Online Textile and Upholstery Superstore!
I believe stock size is 6, I have 6 and 8 here when I go to reassemble. Using 8 cause they came preloaded with washers and I broke a few disassembling my frames. This thread might help as well. FJ40 Rear jump seat covers install 101
Thanks. Real good info.

I started out pressure washing/sandblasting one of the seat backs. It worked, but it was extremely slow going. I spent over an hour, 50 lbs of sand, unknown how much water, and only got a third of the panel done. So I decided to wire brush the rest of it and rust converter it. Still need to work on the rest of it.

I have a cheap blaster that i normally use from Harbor Freight.. The backs did "warp" a touch and curled inwards. I actually used a much larger blaster when i did the backs so probably my fault! Still working on the reinstall but did order a set of Awls from the Amazon that will be here today to assist in the reinstall. Plan to punch thru the upholster and line up the screw holes prior to install with them. I used a hot glue gun to reinstall the piping on the back. Not really much help as we both seem to be at exactly the same stage. I'll try to finish up the upper portion of my backs this week and pass on any words of wisdom. I need to remove mine again as i forgot a couple of snaps i wanted to use for a back/behind the seat organizer. I'm making my own upholstery, easy to make the mods.

I have a cheap blaster that i normally use from Harbor Freight.. The backs did "warp" a touch and curled inwards. I actually used a much larger blaster when i did the backs so probably my fault! Still working on the reinstall but did order a set of Awls from the Amazon that will be here today to assist in the reinstall. Plan to punch thru the upholster and line up the screw holes prior to install with them. I used a hot glue gun to reinstall the piping on the back. Not really much help as we both seem to be at exactly the same stage. I'll try to finish up the upper portion of my backs this week and pass on any words of wisdom. I need to remove mine again as i forgot a couple of snaps i wanted to use for a back/behind the seat organizer. I'm making my own upholstery, easy to make the mods.
It sounds like you are actually a lot further than I am. I had to remove the gas line from the tank to run a brake line. That’s when l noticed the rust on the passenger seat frame! Now I’m just trying to get ahead of it.😃

As with most projects, it always takes longer than we first anticipate. Chip away, enjoy the process, and it will get done. 👍

Here was the thread. Sounds Like you have to make sure and shake the heck out of the can.

I have a sprayout of the darker color t145 ash grey metallic. Which is NOT correct and what I believe is the correct on my bumper. I sprayed the bumper and seat frames with the ccot mix.
I'll add the t145 sprayout pic next to the bumper to this post later today.
At one time I had a brand new Toyota bumper here and from memory it is as close as you can get. Ill set it next to a turn signal and a mirror arm for you as well.
The ccot paint is pricy but I've been paying approx $70 a pint for good single stage by itself so not horrible when you figure they send reducer and hardener as well.
Its pouring and my sprayout is in the car in the driveway. The glove box is the incorrect color t145, the bumper is the ccot paint. The turn signal has not been painted. I'm going with the ccot paint. Easy, avail and shoots well with a 1.3 or 1.4 needle in a decent gun.

20200809_113214.jpg

20200809_113230.jpg

Last edited:
I have a sprayout of the darker color t145 ash grey metallic. Which is NOT correct and what I believe is the correct on my bumper. I sprayed the bumper and seat frames with the ccot mix.
I'll add the t145 sprayout pic next to the bumper to this post later today.
At one time I had a brand new Toyota bumper here and from memory it is as close as you can get. Ill set it next to a turn signal and a mirror arm for you as well.
The ccot paint is pricy but I've been paying approx $70 a pint for good single stage by itself so not horrible when you figure they send reducer and hardener as well.
I have a new bumper and I tried the ccot stuff 5 years or so back and it was to light. Thing is the bumper doesn’t match my OEM parts that came pewter.

As close as I think it can get with an easy avail solution. It does have a touch more gold/cream color to it but I doubt many will notice. If you come up with a better match I'd be happy and would reshoot stuff later. I just want to be somewhat done for now.

15969910865602381680995245784522.jpg

Were the interior and exterior bits like bumper, turn signals, seat frame, glove box the same color when new? Just wondering if they didn’t start out the same color?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom