Seat discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shucks, I picked my '97 LC in part -because- of how great the leather seats feel. I once had an Audi 200 with the most comfortable seats ever (for my build, anyways), and the LC reminded me of them. I'm a sucker for good seating. Personally I wouldn't mind if I had to put a grand into the seats to get them just so. The front seats are one of the key interface points between you and the car.

Probably you should try a bunch of things and see what fits you. For me, Audi and Honda have had the best overall fit and comfort. Everyone's liable to be different though.

A trip to the salvage yard ought to give you plenty of options to consider.

Corbeau seats would be a downgrade in quality from stock. I don't know why I keep reading Corbeau in this forum. They are cheap and fair for the price but they are not high quality seats.

This is the only point your body is secured in the vehicle.
If you going to take the time and effort to replace seats, you need to take the time and effort
I'm not rich enough to do it twice, so I spend more for quality.

You have two options:
- refoam and add new leather to stock seats
- engineer brackets for new seats and make sure you meet the ergonomic restrictions of the 80's floorpan.

If you don't have the resources to fabricate safe custom brackets, than refoam the seats.
If you don't like OEM, a good hot rod upolstery shop can do custom seat cusions on existing seat chassis.

2 questions - Have you owned these seats? What makes them a downgrade?

I started looking for replacement seats because I've refoamed and re-leathered (albeit more pleather) and am still not happy with the seat. I'm 6'3" 205 with a long torso and broad shoulders. The top of the seat makes my shoulders roll in wards if I want to lean back in my seat. After long drives I start to feel hunched over by the shape of the seat.

I would never buy Corbeau recliners.
They are not as well made nor as durable as OEM, not even close. They are a downgrade in materials, quality and durability.

If you want good aftermarket seats than Sparco, Recaro or find seats that you like off OEM's. There are OEM Recaros too.
Especially if fit and comfort are the reason you are changing.

Or buy the Corbeau seats, just don't expect much from a $200 recliner.

And don't take my word for it. Check them out. Find someone with a 1 yr old Corbeau and compare to a 10 yr old OEM Toyota seat or a Recaro.

aftermarket seats have sizing dimensions to fit different body types to get the best fit. If you are looking for a wider seat, don't get the standard models.

All of this ignoring the important factor of fabricating proper brackets and relation to the steering wheel, which is probably the biggest hurdle once you decide on a proper seat.

I loved my 80 power seats, favorite seats ever, now I have the manual ones which I don't like at all. I couldnt find any power seats near me, so I just picked up full leather heated recaros off of craigslist. They will be going in as soon as I get the time. I will post it up when it happens.

Also I know why you started this thread, there is no good info on this subject. I spent a lot of time looking too.
thanks

I have ridden many a hardcore trail mile in Corbeau seats. I wont ever buy another set. IMOP they are the bottom of the barrell when it comes to the after market suspension seat market. Mastercrafts on the other hand are sooo nice and very customizable. They are worth every penny and are in my 85 4runner right now. If it matters Im 6'3" 210lbs.

Subscribed!

This is a timely post! I'm 6.0' and 185 pounds and my butt doesn't like the factory power seats at all. For one, they are constantly giving me problems, despite being fixed, adjusted, etc.

My second gripe is that they seem to tighten my lower back on long rides.:steer:

I'd also like to know what my options are for manual, cloth seats. Cruiser cloth manuals are at the top of my list, but they are few and far between.

I am 6'2" 180 and think all toyota seats are terrible. I had a tundra and anything more than two hours my back was in awful pain, same thing with cruiser seats. The tundra was brand new and an 06. The cruiser is a 97 with stock leather in good condition. Same experience in corrola, tacoma and camry. I don't know about lexus, but I think just about all toyotas use similar/same parts like seat parts, door handles ect. I always though it was funny that a lexus had the same door pull as a corrola.

I think the best option is the pick and pull. Buy seats out of a vehicle you used to own and liked. These can often be had with leather and heaters for about $100 per pair. This is a great dollar option compared to close to 800 for new leather, cushions and heaters.

My personal favorites:

Any thing nissan. I don't know what it is but we have had a few nissans and all of them were very comfy on long trips. My back usually gets a little fussy after a few hours, but it has never hurt at all in a nissan

Volvo. The sweeds have it figured out for my body type

Saab - dito.

I'm in the same...seat. Toyota seats are horrible. I had mine rebuilt by a good upholstery shop in the Springs. The owner has a bad back and sat for 5 seconds in the stock 80 seats and said he wouldn't make it across town - at that point I knew I was good.

The seat is still a bit too short, but miles ahead of where it was with all the added foam and support. Only cost about $220 and everything is still stock - you can't beat that and I can sit in it all day without any problems.

Subscribed!

This is a timely post! I'm 6.0' and 185 pounds and my butt doesn't like the factory power seats at all. For one, they are constantly giving me problems, despite being fixed, adjusted, etc.

My second gripe is that they seem to tighten my lower back on long rides.:steer:

I'd also like to know what my options are for manual, cloth seats. Cruiser cloth manuals are at the top of my list, but they are few and far between.

Find a good upholstery shop - they can fix your seats far cheaper than you can replace them, and everything stays stock.

Plus, with added foam you can get the extra legroom you need by going up instead of back, which is what you want when driving a truck. The 80 has plenty of headroom for this approach.

My first 80 had the manual seats and now I have the power seats. I personally think the manual ones were more comfortable. The seamed wider in the butt....

The cloth seats ARE wider in the butt and in the back. I didn't like the lack of lumbar in the manual seats.

Seating is so subjective. But I'm as average as it gets - 5'11", 185lbs.

I found a set of 1997 LX450 seats (front and rear) and swapped them in. They are really, really comfortable, and they're "plug and play". Even if your truck has manual seats, the power lead for the electric seats is already there. It doesn't get any easier.

The only thing about the Lexus seats is they only come in tan, not grey ones available.

aside: the most comfortable seats I ever had in any vehicle were the cloth/manual seats in my '92 4Runner SR5. I was actually looking for another set of those when I found the Lexus ones. So there, Toyota seat haters!

The cloth seats ARE wider in the butt and in the back. I didn't like the lack of lumbar in the manual seats.

Seating is so subjective. But I'm as average as it gets - 5'11", 185lbs.

I found a set of 1997 LX450 seats (front and rear) and swapped them in. They are really, really comfortable, and they're "plug and play". Even if your truck has manual seats, the power lead for the electric seats is already there. It doesn't get any easier.

The only thing about the Lexus seats is they only come in tan, not grey ones available.

aside: the most comfortable seats I ever had in any vehicle were the cloth/manual seats in my '92 4Runner SR5. I was actually looking for another set of those when I found the Lexus ones. So there, Toyota seat haters!

Morgan, I figured my seats sold you from the day we drove the Lexus into that hole in Sooke. :steer:

Saab seats

I've never liked the cloth seats in my previous '80s, so we did put in Saab Turbo (circa 2003 MY) leather seats, with power and heat, at the time of the GMengine conversion. I'm pretty happy with them-- drive the truck on 300 mile RT daytrips quite often and never have back issues or soreness. The seats were cheap (something like $150 for a nice set) and they fit great.

YMMV,
TT

so where are people finding their used seats and/or attaching them? Are you welding together your own bracket? craigslist seems rather useless seeking just seats

i am thinking going to a custom upholstery shop probably

I would never buy Corbeau recliners.
They are not as well made nor as durable as OEM, not even close. They are a downgrade in materials, quality and durability.

If you want good aftermarket seats than Sparco, Recaro or find seats that you like off OEM's. There are OEM Recaros too.
Especially if fit and comfort are the reason you are changing.

Or buy the Corbeau seats, just don't expect much from a $200 recliner.

And don't take my word for it. Check them out. Find someone with a 1 yr old Corbeau and compare to a 10 yr old OEM Toyota seat or a Recaro.

aftermarket seats have sizing dimensions to fit different body types to get the best fit. If you are looking for a wider seat, don't get the standard models.

All of this ignoring the important factor of fabricating proper brackets and relation to the steering wheel, which is probably the biggest hurdle once you decide on a proper seat.

After having the Corbeau sports seats in my 80 for a few years, and now with the Moab seats, I strongly disagree with you. The Sport seats held up great, were very comfortable for me, and were so much better than the stock crap. I only replaced them b/c my wife hated the passenger seat.

The Moab seats fit perfectly and are supremely comfortable for me. I had to space the driver's side up just a bit for optimal position. Leg room is amazing, and I've sat in them all day onroad and on trails and get out feeling great. My wife loves the passenger seat too.

They are great for the price. They're not Recaros for sure, but they are a great cost-effective solution.

I'm headed over to the Mastercraft facilities since none of their dealers had the style I'm looking for on display. I'll let you guys know what I think.

I visited the Mastercraft facilities in Santee to sit in their recliner/suspension seat MasterCraft Safety®: Performance Seats | BajaRS Off-Road Suspension Race Seat. The first thing I noticed was the lateral support, both in the hips and shoulders. I also felt like the seat fit me, where the OEM seat feels like it was made for a slightly smaller person. The one problem was the mounting brackets - they don't make them for the 80. We tried the "Toyota truck mounts" they already have fab'd up - but they were 4 inches too wide. If they would have had something that I could have taken home and bolted up - I'd be talking about how these seats perform. So I tried to talk the guy into building some and he could use my truck for a few days for fitting. He seemed interested at that point and took my info.

I'd like to find out if there is any interest in these seats besides the 3-4 guys talking about them in the different threads. I'd be willing to bet if he could get a few orders off the bat - he would be more inclined to fab a bracket up. While I know these seats are spendy, so are chiropractors.

I visited the Mastercraft facilities in Santee to sit in their recliner/suspension seat MasterCraft Safety®: Performance Seats | BajaRS Off-Road Suspension Race Seat. The first thing I noticed was the lateral support, both in the hips and shoulders. I also felt like the seat fit me, where the OEM seat feels like it was made for a slightly smaller person. The one problem was the mounting brackets - they don't make them for the 80. We tried the "Toyota truck mounts" they already have fab'd up - but they were 4 inches too wide. If they would have had something that I could have taken home and bolted up - I'd be talking about how these seats perform. So I tried to talk the guy into building some and he could use my truck for a few days for fitting. He seemed interested at that point and took my info.

I'd like to find out if there is any interest in these seats besides the 3-4 guys talking about them in the different threads. I'd be willing to bet if he could get a few orders off the bat - he would be more inclined to fab a bracket up. While I know these seats are spendy, so are chiropractors.
I could be interested, but the threshold question for me is lumbar support......what's the deal on that on these?

I could be interested, but the threshold question for me is lumbar support......what's the deal on that on these?
I agree! And they offer adjustable lumbar support as an option. Unfortunately the seat I sat in didn't have the lumbar adjustment. I will note that I didn't feel the need for more lumbar support, but will have the option if I do go this route.

I may be one of the odd balls out but i am 6'3" and 230 lb's and i feel like the stock seats fit me well and i like how they hug my back.. The bottom could have a bit more padding and i would not complain about some more lumber support but overall i like them alot. I would Dwfinitley have a shop spruce them up with new leather if mine were in any need of new leather but i just cant justify it as the condition. especially after the leather treatment i did, is so good..

That said anyone know a good shop in the boston area who does seat modification work?

On a side note, i us, to have some corbeau bucket seats in my old MKIII Jetta and as they were alright for a little while they truly fell apart after about a year, and when i sold the car they really needed to be replaced (2.5 years later)

After having the Corbeau sports seats in my 80 for a few years... I only replaced them b/c my wife hated the passenger seat.

The Moab seats fit perfectly ... My wife loves the passenger seat too.

Anyone thinking about aftermarket seats should try them on before you buy. I bought some used Recaros without trying them and I found them very uncomfortable. Sold them and bought another set, they fit me perfectly.

I like my LX seats, they probably don't feel like they did when they were new but they fit me well. The best OEM seats I've sat in were in our '99 Volvo V70, the swede's know seats. If I were going to retrofit OEM seats I'd look at Volvo or Saab.

Edit - My current Recaros are vintage late '70's and are still in very good condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom