Builds Sean's FJ40 Restomod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Where I will begin is with the Cummins R2.8. I have known about this engine for a few years, saw it used on Xtreme 4x4 when Ian Johnson put one in something or another.

I had been a fan of those shows for years (Powerblock on Sunday mornings in Canada). You could say I "learned" much of what I know from these shows.

Anyway, I just think diesel technology is cool, its something different and the idea of a Cummins crate engine, 2 year warranty, common rail technology, throttle by wire, etc etc is just awesome.

I looked at other diesel options but most of them are quite old technology (or else very difficult to adapt) and then they had a $1500 sale this month. I took the plunge and ordered one. Now, I know we get "free" health care in Canada but this cost me $11,577 with exchange and sales tax (OWWW).

While this engine thing was going on I was thinking about what to put it in. My wife loves old station wagons but to me a diesel doesn't fit right with those. I thought about Land Rovers (too exotic), old domestic pickups, jeeps, etc.

I have always liked the JF40 though, there was one rusting away near our house when I was a kid, I have known a few people that had them. They are a cool little truck, great offroad and they are a bit different these days.

I did some snooping around on the Google and found you guys. Seems like there is a really good aftermarket and a lot of knowledge out there.

I also (saw on Xtreme 4x4) had heard that there was a company that made new bodies for jeeps, I knew it had a funny name so I searched around and found Aqualu, then I discovered they did the same thing with FJs, this started to crystallize the idea. Then I saw they are in BC where I am!!! its a long drive but our kids really like going to Kelowna as a vacation spot (waterpark, restaurants we like, etc) so boxes are ticking off in my head.

I found ICON, and they were cool but wow, spendy. I also was put on to the Clean Cruiser guys by the people at Aqualu.

I found a set of old beat up TLCs at a dealer, who also happens to be a TV show "Rust Valley Restorers" on History channel, a show my wife and I like. They were sad looking but asking $3500 for the pair and one had a valid registration. So I went and got them last weekend. 7 hr drive each way. My wife was out of town so I brought 3 of the 4 daughters with me. They were great but it was a long haul. They found lots of critters at the yard.

I can't keep my hands off them, I have stripped the first one down almost completely now so it can go back outside. Turns out the other is a diesel and it was running 13 years ago when it got parked. I will pull it in next and see if I can get it running. I'm sure someone would love to have that oil burner!

So needless to say, I am enjoying myself immensely, researching, planning, learning. The buying is a bit painful, as I mentioned, our taxes are harsh, the exchange rate sux for buying things right now and shipping from the US is painful.

Teeny tiniest turbo!

Need the wife's help to decide if we want to stretch the FJ, once we decide that, I will order the frame.

Hoping to use the cowl and windshield from one of the donors, this is a $4000+ piece from Aqualu. I think I will do some patina work on this too, the green TLC has a great patina to it. Not sure I love green but looks cool and would save a lot of money/hassle. Just need to do GOOD rustproofing.

Despite what some say on this forum, yes, BC is cold but we don't use a lot of salt here. That is an Eastern thing. They do put salt (not NaCl) in the road gravel but not as a separate product. Rock chips and dings, definitely a thing!

Working on Transmission/tcase plan right now.

Been in touch with Manafre and I plan to get the parts I need to get to a roller over the next couple of months.

Anyway, thanks for the info so far and I will do my best to document things.

Looks up Prince George, BC:

I'm slowly rebuilding an OM606 mercedes but was considering the Cummins for the plug and play reason. The 2 trucks you picked up are showing their age but they between the two of them you should be able to piece together a nice cruiser.
The gray one appears to be early 70's and the green later 70's.
Congratulations on your purchases and looking forward to the build!

The black one is may 1975 (I was 1.5 months old) the green one is dec 1979 (my wife born that month). A little trivial but kind of cool we think.

These will be my "parts bin" I will be using a lot of new parts for this build but these will offer a lot of those parts that can save us money and show how things are meant to go together.

And one key thing, the green one has a title and registration which should keep me out of ICBCs clutches (our vehicle licensing body in BC).

Ok, update.

The boss came home to the "new" trucks. She has started to get into the whole thing.

And blaster in training:

And of course the neverending train of parts continues, along with the train of dollars going out the door!

Frame is being built by aqualu, working towards being ready to turn it into a roller.

Pretty sure I want to build the axles with lockers, either zip or arb, undecided. Big drain on the pocket, along with $10k for the frame and 3/4 tub!

You decide on a stretch? If so how much?

Looking forward to your build.

Looks like you have a nice shop to work in so that's a huge plus!

Yeah @thecrazygreek we have ordered an 18" stretch. I know it will be a hassle with the Hardtop/softtop but we think the space will be worth the effort.

We are still in the process of finishing the shop, the lift is SOO WONDERFUL. We are trying to finish the siding (14' walls, 30x40') but the peak of the gable is almost 30' tall so it can kill your motivation. We did, roof, insulation, inside sheething, wiring, lighting. We bought a garage package, hired a contractor for the foundation and they stood the walls and did the trusses for us.

Coolio, Sounds like my dream shop!

Ok, update time. Mumma's great work in the blast cabinet.
20190712_154123.jpg

20190712_154132.jpg

Followed by POR15.
20190712_154203.jpg

Everything waiting to go back together:

20190712_154214.jpg

Remembered to keep the shims where they belong.

20190712_154127.jpg

Last edited:
New front brakes with bearings ready to go:
20190712_154237.jpg

Mumma working on the disassembly:

20190714_160605.jpg

Mattie & Sydney is supervising:

20190714_164414.jpg

Axles Before:

20190718_162625.jpg

Axles after POR 15, apparently my technique is lacking and I am fired from painting.
20190718_165953.jpg

Some of the old parts to be traded for different old parts that I will need (H55F primarily):

20190719_142323.jpg

Japanese Engineers with a sense of humour or nah?
20190723_153918.jpg

20190723_161635.jpg

20190705_090555.jpg
20190705_090529.jpg

Hooked up with @RAGINGMATT for some key/lock support.

20190726_172409.jpg

Parts to be blasted, originally were going to take them to a shop, changed our mind and bought a sandblaster. Work underway.

20190727_083242.jpg

Frame home, safe & mostly sound (refers to emotional well being of being in a truck with 4 daughters under 12 for 16 hours over 3 days)

20190727_102226.jpg

Was happy to learn that the 3/4 tub comes with running boards and a trans tunnel.

Boss lady POR 15ing the frame:
20190727_172419.jpg

Tub waiting for love:
20190727_172434.jpg

We originally wanted to use Judson Green as the colour, just zazzed up a bit with some metallic in it. However, there is so much white pigment in that mix that the metallic won't show up. we deliberated with the "help" of the kids in the Kelowna sun for about an hour and settled on a Toyota colour, it is called Spruce Mica and was on Tacos, Camrys and a few others from 2010 to 2015. It is a gold pearl that looks almost black in the shade but has a beautiful golden green in the sun. The photos don't do it justice:
20190728_210614.jpg

20190728_210639.jpg

20190728_210705.jpg

BTW, painting little parts like this is a gigantic PITA!!!

Isn't sand blasting something quite satisfying, to take something old looking and make it look new again?! And wow that paint does look good! I wish I could see it in person.

Subbed BTW, awesome build! Love to see how the stretch will work out

Isn't sand blasting something quite satisfying, to take something old looking and make it look new again?! And wow that paint does look good! I wish I could see it in person.

Subbed BTW, awesome build! Love to see how the stretch will work out
She loves it. I like it too but she can do it for hours.

OK, so last weekend dis some stuff:

20190804_222721.jpg

20190804_222721.jpg

Tub got Endura epoxy primed.

20190805_114113.jpg

Had a bit of orange peeling on it. The 3:1 is quite thick so I think I will get some of their sandable primer to go on top so I can smooth out the orange peel. I will also get a bit of reducer so I can thin it a little. I am also not a professional painter so HVLP settings are not my strongest suit!

Most of this will not get colour so I am not worried about the bottom or the inside. Also this is to be a driven truck, bush included so I am leaving the dents etc.

Better photo of the colour out in the full sun:

20190805_114214.jpg

Harvested frame extensions for @amico :

20190805_155847.jpg

Cowl/firewall is at the blasters and I should have it for the weekend so I can prime it. Likely will just prime with what I have and can do the sandable primer and smoothing after mockup.

Current spend is $32,435 CAD, estimated remainder $18,431 CAD. The estimate is really only the things I know of and have priced. I know there will be lots more bits and pieces I need on top of that. It also includes all taxes, shipping and other fees.

I compare myself to a new Jeep Rubicon which, in my province is $56,650 including tax. I am close to that cost and will likely go over once it is all said and done. The good thing is I won't own a Jeep Rubicon :p

You may want to consider installing a 2" body lift. It will help with installing the tall cummins motor. Also consider using the old steel trans tunnel. It allows for a bigger cutout in the floor further back which makes trans or tcase work much easier to do in the vehicle. Also the steel trans tunnel gives more foot space u front.

I'll see how it looks at mockup. The r2.8 doesnt seem much taller than the original but we'll see I guess.

The original trans tunnel I have is in good shape so I can test both.

OK, updates. Mounted cowl to frame.
20190811_203709.jpg
20190811_203902.jpg

Working on fitment of tub to cowl. Lots of help from Steve at EBI in Vancouver on how to do this.
20190816_215831.jpg

Getting there, advice is to mount HT and fit with doors in place to get it just right.
20190816_213618.jpg

Door missing bushings but looks pretty good. Gold Cad with the dark green looks really good!

20190817_173058.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom