Scion t1819 BT HU (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Scion T1819 HU into 95 help

Hello All,
So far I managed to connect the T1819HU directly with the 2 white plugs that are by the grey connector which powered the OEM HU ( left the grey unplugged ). Then completely removed the Amp behind the dash (front passenger) leaving those plugs loose. The unit powers up and works fine.
Used the Scosche LSAARB antenna adapter - amazon $19 - and that gets me AM/FM coming through.
At the moment I want to get a microphone for bluetooth - ordered PT546-74120-MC from Sparks Toyota but the nice fellow was not too familiar with what I needed.
It does not plug into the HU, it seems I need the 20 to 28 pin adapter PT546-00120-CH to "bridge" the mic/HU. Is that the case ?
And research shows the microphone uses an amplifier - part # 8625052040 - in the scion. Have you guys found that necessary ?
Has anyone used just the microphone and adapter without the amplifier ?
My next hope is getting a USB port connected to the HU.
Seems PT546-00120-US is the adaptor from HU to the usb port.
Is that the case and what is the part number for the port - and does it fit in one of our dash plugs ? ( the 'slots' that we put all types of switches in ).
What about the Tacoma aux/usb port 86190-0C020 would that one fit the dash plugs ?
Yes lots of questions that I have not been too clear about from reading all the posts.
If anyone can confirm or correct and lead me to solve these last two issues ( hurdles ) I would be grateful.
Cheers
RA

I did not need an amplifier for the mic, it plugged right in to the adapter.
For the usb i used parts from a prius usb adapter kit combined with the pt546-00120-us... But i haven't found that kit again since.
I think if i did it again i would skip the pricey custom prius cable, cut one end off the pt546-00120-us, and solder a female usb cable onto it, just shove it into the glove box (thats basically what i did with the 1815)

I purchased the Toyota mic and seem to have the adaptor but together Bluetooth does not work on my t1819.

Should it work with only the adaptor harness and mic?

Any ideas?
image-3649288172.jpg

Take a look at the manual ( available somewhere on the forum ), it was not obvious but I managed to get my Android Phone and the 1819HU to connect through blue tooth - ( recognized ) - but I am still unable to transfer contact information to make calls. Still working on that - anyone have ideas ?.

I purchased the Toyota mic and seem to have the adaptor but together Bluetooth does not work on my t1819.

Should it work with only the adaptor harness and mic?

Any ideas?
Take a look at the manual ( available somewhere on the forum ), it was not obvious but I managed to get my Android Phone and the 1819HU to connect through blue tooth - ( recognized ) - but I am still unable to transfer contact information to make calls. Still working on that - anyone have ideas ?.

So am still in the process of installing my HUT1819, so far I have full control, got the microphone set up ( the HU recognizes my android phone but I am unable to transfer the contact info - any ideas ? ) got the USB connected so my IPOD works and now I am trying to connect the AUX port to the HU.
The AUX port has 5 wires Green/White/Brown/Red/Yellow anyone out there know which ones they connect to on the 20 or 28 pin connector ( colors would be great ). That would finish my set up - so that I can move on to the next project : wiring a compass/temperature cluster.
Thank you

HU T1819 in 95 FJZ80 - write up

Hello All,
I have finished ( almost ) installing my new-to-me HU T1819 and here are the OEM parts I used. ( By the way, mine is a 95 FZJ80 )
First, I want to thank Micah at Sparks Toyota ( 843-236-2161 ) for spending so much time on the phone trying to figure this out and also sending me a bunch of parts to try out. He's a good guy and will take the time to help.
And now back to our scheduled program already in progress.
First let me say this; be sure you love this HU since it would be cheaper to buy an aftermarket one that can do everything this one does and more for much less of a hit on your pocketbook.
Okay enough sensible thoughts.
The actually physical install is pretty straight forward take the OEM HU out and look for 2 grey plugs from the main harness connect these to the back of T1819 and voila - done - Then I removed the amplifier ( found behind the front passenger speaker ) and simply left the connectors tucked out of the way, you can leave the amplifier there just disconnect it. And yes I did not go into the whole OEM HU removal process, you guys can figure that one out and it is in numerous threads.
At this point you should be able to power up the HU.
In order to connect the antenna, you will need :
Scosche LSAARB antenna adapter reverse for 2002-up LEXUS.
It has numerous named but the item number I have is P2T162C13, I bought it from Amazon for $19
The plug-in is simple there is no two ways about it, the obvious end goes into the back of the HU and the antenna receptor goes to the antenna receiver. You will have 2 wires left over which I simply tucked away.
I do not know yet if they have a purpose for this application.
So at this stage you should have a fully functioning stereo ( AM/FM and CD )
But of course you want more.
For Bluetooth, you will need a microphone and a connector.
The microphone is PT546-74120-MC ( Mic Kit IQ - Scion ) which is about $50
But it does not connect into the HU without PT546-00120-CH ( Audio CD Deck ) about $30, this is the famous 20 to 28 pin connector.
The Microphone connect to the 20 pin side of the connector which in turn connects to the 28 pin port on the back of the HU.
Once connected, look through the manual ( there is a PDF form on the inter web ) and run through the bluetooth functions. I had my phone on at the time and made some calls while downloading the contact information into the phonebook. It took a bit for me to figure it out but it works quite well. Making calls through the HU is quite nice actually and simple.
Note: there is an Amplifier in the Scion for this function, we have no need for it, the calls come through with good sound on both ends.
So now you have a fully functioning stereo with bluetooth capacity and yet... you want more.
Getting an iPod library to play.
At this point I strongly suggest looking at what is on the threads in regards to making your own wiring or what will be available ( if not already ) within aftermarket connectors but if you are silly enough to want it OEM'ish, here you go.
First you will need a connector from the back of the HU to link with the USB port by way of a third 'cord'.
The connector from the HU is PT546-00120-US ( TC USB Conversion ) about $60.
Again there is only one place on the back to the HU to accept it.
Next and this is the tricky one to get, it's called the USB Harness and the only place I have found it is within kit PT233-47100 ( USB Interface Kit Prius ) which costs about $165.
The USB Harness will connect PT546-00120-US to the USB port.
About the USB port Adapter, one comes with the interface kit ( Having both USB and AUX terminals ).
It is either coded as 86190-0C020 or 86190-53040 ( Adapter assembly ), one is designated for a Prius and the other for a Tacoma, they are the same part, both with USB/AUX terminal, nice and hefty at $96.
Once you plug that all together HU to PT546-00120-US to USB Harness ( from the kit ) to 86190-0c020 or 86190-53040, you have a portal for the IPOD to communicate with the HU. Perfect controls of IPOD through HU.
Now you have a Stereo with Bluetooth and IPOD capacity. Nice.
The only thing I have not been able to do yet is connect the AUX terminal to the HU, if anyone has the pin-out diagram it would be a great help ( with wire colors please ) then I suspect it to be possible.
The real fun part was fabricating a 'plug' so that I could mount the USB port onto my dash, I just used one of the accessory switch plugs blanks ( you know the ones we pop out to put in our Center Diff switch for example ). You will find that the Prius or Tacoma USB ports are smaller than our land cruiser switches, I simply carved out a matching rectangle to take in the USB port into our switch blanks - I hope I am making sense.
Hell I hope this helps you guys a little, feel free to shoot me a PM or email if you have any questions.
Again, in my financial opinion get an aftermarket HU. But then again this HU looks pretty good in the rig.
Cheers
RA

Thanks for all your work on this.

First off, can you post pictures of your install?

The real question I have is regarding the IPOD connectivity. As I want to hide the ipod in the glove box or in the middle under the armrest, do you think that all I need is the cable I showed above? That seems to eliminate the lion share of your expenses. I would not have the aux/usb connector though.

The real question I have is regarding the IPOD connectivity. As I want to hide the ipod in the glove box or in the middle under the armrest, do you think that all I need is the cable I showed above? That seems to eliminate the lion share of your expenses. I would not have the aux/usb connector though.

I soddered in a usb cable, its 3 wires. If I remember correctly the usb female connector on the deck is blue and on the lower left side on the back of the deck. I removed the covers and spliced it in, works great!

Hello All,

For Bluetooth, you will need a microphone and a connector.
The microphone is PT546-74120-MC ( Mic Kit IQ - Scion ) which is about $50
But it does not connect into the HU without PT546-00120-CH ( Audio CD Deck ) about $30, this is the famous 20 to 28 pin connector.
The Microphone connect to the 20 pin side of the connector which in turn connects to the 28 pin port on the back of the HU.

Cheers
RA

The mic connects to the 20-pin side?????

Look at my pic above. So it goes in the other connector?

I'd like this to be the final piece of the puzzle. I have it in my hands and I just don't see it. Which wire colors match on both sides?

Thanks

2fpower,
Having the IPOD in the glove box or the Armrest is a great way to go, avoid all kinds of expenses.
RockJock82 has the right idea, it's a simple wire job. Another way I believe your cable would work but I have no experience with it, seems like it could just plug in the back ( or the 20 to 28 pin conversion ) - there is a lot of conversation in the group about doing the IPOD hookup that way - take a look.
As for photos of my set up, there is nothing to show really except for a stereo in the dash, I have not cut to fit yet since I still want to hook up the AUX, and I wonder if I will, the HU just sticks out a little.
Sorry I did not take shots of the wiring - next modification I do, I guess I should have done that for the courtesy light switching too... not a good member - bad mudder bad.

The mic connects to the 20-pin side?????

Look at my pic above. So it goes in the other connector?

I'd like this to be the final piece of the puzzle. I have it in my hands and I just don't see it. Which wire colors match on both sides?

Thanks
Rolliges,
Sorry mate, I forgot which side of the 20 to 28 pin conversion the mic plugs in, but looking at your photo, you got it right, just plug the set into the back of the HU and you should be set. sorry for the misinformation /confusion. cheers

I bought the iPod conversion from amazon for a scion (picture in post 48 above). It does not connect to anything on the HU. I am researching what to do next.

pics

Here is the scion ipod cable with end and the HU.

Where does the IPOD connector usually connect to?
IMG_7063.jpg
IMG_7060.jpg
IMG_7061.jpg

The gray wire. I spliced and soldered a USB cable on that. Works like a charm.

Here is the scion ipod cable with end and the HU.

Where does the IPOD connector usually connect to?

that is the older scion IPOD cable. The later(1814? and newer) head units use the gray plug by the RCA. Splice a standard USB cable, or your older adapter cable to the gray 4 pin connector. USB in is the only gray connector present on the head unit.

As a side note:
I think the home made solutions for the USB and AUX in are the only solutions. I was fortunate enough to have a junkyard guy with patience enough to let me tear through the dash of a wrecked TC(theyre so new they never make it to a self service yard) and the factory cable and plug are not easy to retrieve...

There is an extension cable from the USB/AUX port that connects to the short gray pigtail lead on the back of the head unit. Well, this is not seperate from the rest of the harness on the Scion, and is a bitch to disect. In addition, the stupid AUX wires are about 2 feet shorter, and terminate partway into the main harness. A complete pain that is still going to require me to solder up some servo extensions...

Bottom line: Dont go to the junkyard thinking that you'll just yank the USB wire out like it was an antenna lead. Its not, and on top of that, I found NO cars with the Bluetooth Mic that was easy to remove or had the correct length and connectors.

that is the older scion IPOD cable. The later(1814? and newer) head units use the gray plug by the RCA. Splice a standard USB cable, or your older adapter cable to the gray 4 pin connector. USB in is the only gray connector present on the head unit.

As a side note:
I think the home made solutions for the USB and AUX in are the only solutions. I was fortunate enough to have a junkyard guy with patience enough to let me tear through the dash of a wrecked TC(theyre so new they never make it to a self service yard) and the factory cable and plug are not easy to retrieve...

There is an extension cable from the USB/AUX port that connects to the short gray pigtail lead on the back of the head unit. Well, this is not seperate from the rest of the harness on the Scion, and is a bitch to disect. In addition, the stupid AUX wires are about 2 feet shorter, and terminate partway into the main harness. A complete pain that is still going to require me to solder up some servo extensions...

Bottom line: Dont go to the junkyard thinking that you'll just yank the USB wire out like it was an antenna lead. Its not, and on top of that, I found NO cars with the Bluetooth Mic that was easy to remove or had the correct length and connectors.

The Prius have the mic and amp built in the overhead light console very easy to disconnect and splice and place accordingly.

Ok, so there is four wires coming off the grey usb connection, yet the ipod connection looks to have 13 wires. So, that leads to the first question, does the t1819 allow for IPOD control/function? I thought it did, so I am confused.

If just USB connect that is fine. Was there a wiring diagram someone already made of how to solder a usb cable to this?

Thanks

ok, did some google research. Credit to Scion Life OP Mike

Take the USB to radio connector cable (mine said "tC USB conversion"), cut it on the end opposite the radio. strip the 4 wires- 2(purple/brown) are foil wrapped and thinner than the red and black wires.

Find a cable with a USB female end. I used a USB extension cord i had laying around.

Otherwise youll need toyotas extension cable, and USB outlet- close to $200 just on those 2 things.

Cut the male end from the USB extension cable, and strip the 4 wires. red/white/green/black should be the order of the USB pinout.

Splice together red to red, black to black, purple to white, and green to brown. I soldered the connections too. Thats what youre going to be plugging in your (up to) 256GB thumb drives, etc.

You can run the cord anywhere you want, i just wrapped mine up and tucked it next door inside the glove box.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom