School me on bilstein 5100 shock upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 03 TRD need shocks. And I have been searching the Bilstein 5100s. It seems like a great way to go. Especially if you want a little lift without any major modifications. I've looked at a few sites like bilsteiinlifts.com, but I think I can do better buying individual parts on my own. I plan on an ARB bumper and winch up front in the future. Has anyone done this and do you have any advice.

I'm going to have the coils compressed by a shop with a proper press, I know that much. It's worth an hours worth of labor cost just to have it done safely. But I'll be doing the rest on my own.

I put the 5100's on my 96 Taco xtra cab, with ARB front bumper. I got them from wheeler offroad. I went with OME coils and shocks set at about 1 inch of lift. I also put the wheeler 5 pack in the rear. It all sits level with maybe a slight non stinkbug look. I have had good luck so far. Shocks are 4 years old now and seem to be holding up well. I had really good service with wheelers offroad. Wheeler will press the springs for you for a nominal charge.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421011942.782519.jpg
It's dirty. But here she is.

I put the 5100's on my 96 Taco xtra cab, with ARB front bumper. I got them from wheeler offroad. I went with OME coils and shocks set at about 1 inch of lift. I also put the wheeler 5 pack in the rear. It all sits level with maybe a slight non stinkbug look. I have had good luck so far. Shocks are 4 years old now and seem to be holding up well. I had really good service with wheelers offroad. Wheeler will press the springs for you for a nominal charge.

Thanks rifleshooter. What coils did you use with your 5100s? The 880s? Thanks.

I got a set of 5100s and 880s along with the 5 leaf pack from Wheelers as well. A good buy from good people. I put the springs on myself because I have a 2.7l and neither he or I knew exactly how much lift would be gained from the 880s alone on the lighter 2.7l. I got the 5100s so I can add a bumper later and move it up one notch. It's at the lowest setting right now. I also added a fiberglass shell then needed a 1" shackle that I sourced from ToyTech to level it back out. Easily clears some 33-1050s.

I got a set of 5100s and 880s along with the 5 leaf pack from Wheelers as well. A good buy from good people. I put the springs on myself because I have a 2.7l and neither he or I knew exactly how much lift would be gained from the 880s alone on the lighter 2.7l. I got the 5100s so I can add a bumper later and move it up one notch. It's at the lowest setting right now. I also added a fiberglass shell then needed a 1" shackle that I sourced from ToyTech to level it back out. Easily clears some 33-1050s.

Good to know. How do you like the ride?

It's hands down better than factory or parts house shocks/struts. The rears are 5125, IIRC. They're T100 shocks with a little more length for the added lift. I can tuck each 33 in the fenders when need be. The 880s with the 2.7 are a stiffer ride so I removed the sway bar. It's a little looser on the highway when swerving, but has been manageable so far. I've dodged a few deer and dogs with no issues doing 75.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm going to call wheelers and get a set on the way.

Here's a writeup I did on my 3rd gen 4runner. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3rd-gen-4runner-bilstien-5100-adjustables.799684/ The only real issue is getting the lower a-arm flexed down enough to get the bolt in the bottom of the strut assembly. It can be a PITA. Otherwise I was pretty happy with them. FWIW there is a new larger diameter shock body coming next month from Bilstein that will be a bit more $, but probably also better performance. Same idea of 4 level adjustable height. They are Billstein 6112s. It's supposedly very similar to the TRD PRO setup and should run about $500 for a complete set of struts and springs. So that's more $. I think I paid $200ish for the shocks and I did the spring swap myself. If you add $100 in shop labor to swap the springs you're not too far off of an all new strut with new springs and larger shock.
I think you'll be happy either way.

Did you do the rear shocks too?

I'm not sure what he offers nowadays. But I ordered the t100 rears. They're a little more difficult to install because it's got a solid rubber and not the Tacoma split rubber. I used a bolt I had that was longer than the one it mounts with and used that to push the greased rubber onto the mount. Then put the correct bolt in to hold it.

Edit: checked Wheelers' website and he offers the 5125s now.

Last edited:
I went back through my receipt folder in my gmail and found that I had in fact ordered the 5100 rears from Wheelers. It was the only Bilstein he offered at that time. They came in but I never installed them and I sent them back for a refund and it was a pleasant experience. I ordered a set of the 5125s from another online vendor and installed those instead. IIRC, I emailed him this same picture and explanation.

In the picture is the cheap Monroe shock for a t100 next to the 5100. Note the rubber eyes and the length difference. I didn't take a pic of the 5125 next to the Monroe when they came in, but they were the same length. Hope this may help.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422623128.555932.jpg

Good to know. Thanks. Thats definitely a big difference.

Here's a writeup I did on my 3rd gen 4runner. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3rd-gen-4runner-bilstien-5100-adjustables.799684/ The only real issue is getting the lower a-arm flexed down enough to get the bolt in the bottom of the strut assembly. It can be a PITA. Otherwise I was pretty happy with them. FWIW there is a new larger diameter shock body coming next month from Bilstein that will be a bit more $, but probably also better performance. Same idea of 4 level adjustable height. They are Billstein 6112s. It's supposedly very similar to the TRD PRO setup and should run about $500 for a complete set of struts and springs. So that's more $. I think I paid $200ish for the shocks and I did the spring swap myself. If you add $100 in shop labor to swap the springs you're not too far off of an all new strut with new springs and larger shock.
I think you'll be happy either way.
I would be interested for sure... I need shocks now though. I don't know how long I can wait for the 6112 to come out.

Supposedly the 6112s were intended to be shipping mid January, but some part of the manufacturing process was delayed. So they're looking at mid february or later before you'll be able to actually get your hands on a set. For normal daily driving, I can't imagine that it's a huge difference. The digressive shock valving should be better for big hits offroad. Just kinda depends on what you're wanting to do with it.

My biggest wish is for something adjustable without removing the coil springs. I'm fine with 4 height settings. But I'd like to run stock height 95% of the time and then when I'm going for a week in Moab I'd spend a half day in the garage, lift the front 3", swap rear springs, throw on some 33's on a 2nd set of wheels, and go. I already spend an afternoon loading the 4runner, putting on a roof basket, jack, shovel, etc. that I don't leave on for daily driving. Swapping rear suspension is 30-45 minutes. (on my 3rd gen 4runner I had air bags, so it's just adding a few PSI for a couple inches in the rear) If I could do the front as quickly, I'd be really happy.

Yes it would be nice to be able to switch on the fly so to speak.

I think I will wait a little bit and see what these new 6112 are going to cost. It might be worth upgrading if the price is right, if not the 5100 should be plenty. Im still on the fence for lifting, probably keep it stock for now but it will be great to have the option.

They are listed on Bilsteinus, but the application doesn't look correct. It only says it will work for the Four Runner. I wonder if they will work on the first gen Taco too? I guess I can order them (If I can find them) and see.

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/46-227287

You need one for a 96-02 4runner. Should fit taco, tundra, and sequoia as well.
Nothing for Gen 1 on the Billstein website yet. I guess it's wait and see for now. I might send Billstein an email just to see what they have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom