For Sale Rusty but strong running and complete 1977 FJ55 in PA SOLD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hate to part with this old girl but I have too much going on these days. The fact that my bodyman just had a heart transplant (!!!!) doesn't help! What I have here is the old goat pig originally as far as I know from New Jersey. My friend Tom Humphries was the owner when I first saw it quite a few years ago and it was in pretty good shape at that time. It participated in a few of the east coast pig runs I used to host and was quite an interesting truck on the trail. Tom had bought it from the president of the old NJ club Totally Cruisers, at that time it had a blown V8 engine. Tom bought a Jasper rebuilt 350CI 300HP with RV cam Chevy engine for it, and rolled back the odometer when the engine was installed. It now has appx 35K on the clock. Tom sold it to our friend Eric Oldenburg and I bought it from Eric. Even with all the rust Eric was driving it regularly back and forth to work.
The engine is super strong, starts readily and runs and idles perfectly. Has more power than any other cruiser I've driven in a long time. I believe it has a Holley Carb on it but am not sure. Transmission is the stock 4 speed setup, transmission and transfer case work fine. Somebody changed the clutch linkage from hydraulic to mechanical (why????) but it does work OK. Tom put a new clutch in it behind the Jasper engine and the clutch is strong. Has the stock 4.10 axles. Eric thinks the front third member needs replaced- and a spare third comes with the truck. Exhaust system was recently refreshed and sounds good.
The windshield and glass seem to be pretty good. Rear window is there but does not operate electrically (or should I say not at all!!??). Rear view mirrors are in place. Dash is pretty well intact and has a newer head unit in the dash. I'm thinking the lights, wipers, horn and heater work as they should but would have to check to be certain. Front and rear mats are there, but no cargo mat. Someone did a nice upgrade on the cargo floor at one time and it looks pretty decent. Steering wheel is original. Front and rear seats are original, front seat has a cover on it and I haven't looked underneath the cover. Front and rear bumpers are in pretty good shape. All four doors and hood open and close as they should and windows in all four doors roll up and down. Headliner is better than most but does have one tear in it. There are no door panels currently on the piggy but I believe I have a set that I can include with the truck. Tires are General 35" on steel wheels. It doesn't have power steering and I'd hate to parallel park this beat with those tires on it. Dash pad an glovebox door are pretty good.
One of the owners in NJ did a bunch of custom stuff on the truck, lights and switches in a lot of places, and there is an overhead console. I never checked to see if any of that stuff worked or was even hooked up. Has a pretty neat roof rack and there's a ladder that attaches to the rack and the rear bumper to access the rack. It was known as the "goat pig" as there was a mural on the hood of a mountain goat. It's still there but part of it is gone. Paint is a metallic gray, it was green at one time. No idea what the original colors are. Has what I believe to be an original key. Has a 4" Manafre lift and sits nice. Comes with some spares, too- a rear seat, wiper motor, some sheet metal repair parts from Bob up in NH, and I think there may be an Ironpig rocker set in there. Looks like there is a pair of new front rotors too.
The bad: she's rusty, everywhere but maybe the roof. Way rustier than a rank amateur like myself would even think of fixing. I was hoping my body guy could slap a bunch of patches on it and make it presentable enough so I could get it inspected here in PA. Well that's not gonna happen. The front axle could use a knuckle job, and a complete seal kit is included with the sale of the truck to do just that. If you're gonna replace the front third you'll be taking the knuckles apart anyway. Rear window not working, looks like everything is there but the window is a little crooked maybe one or both of the tracks are bad. Haven't looked into that at all. Has some funky lockout hubs I could put a set of drive hubs on it for you if you'd prefer. Bottom line is this old gal has a lot rust.
So what we have is a 55 that you can jump in, start it and drive it, just bring your arm muscles. Vintage, yes- check out the lobster fab and other cool stickers on the back window! Clean PA title so that's good. Yes it is indeed rusty but is also a complete running 77 (yes, disc brakes) FJ55. I want $3000 for it so take a look and if you think it's for you get in touch with me. Located in northeast PA not far off I-81 and about 40 minutes from either Rausch Creek or AAOA offroad parks. Best to email me shmukter@pa.metrocast.net

Front view.jpg
Front hood open.jpg
Pass front quarter.jpg
Pass front tire.jpg

Last edited:
A thing of beauty!

I shot a short video of the 55 yesterday and am trying to figure out how to get it from my phone to the computer so I can either post here with my listing or send to everyone who responded by email. Stay tuned hopefully will have it nailed down by tomorrow!!!!

Good luck with the sale! What a fun and great looking truck in its heyday

Saw this too late. My wife would have killed me but I did think about it until I saw it was staying in PA.

That was a great truck - I remember it at the east coast pig runs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom