RTT Picture Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I'm not a fan of RTTs directly mounted on my rig (hate the idea of having to tear down to go exploring and all that weight up there), I'm definitely interested in the trailer mounted RTT option. That is till I got on a challenging narrow PNW trail and got thinking about how I would ever back-down/turn around/or get out of sketchy situations towing on off-road trailer in the never-ending search for remote campsite and 4x4 fun.

Any experiences/advice you can share?
My iKamper 2.0 deploys and folds it down in mins.
It drastically improved quality of our off-road trips… hard shell is the way to go.

Many moons ago…
35008EC8-3561-4819-BE53-E9A87AE07E85.jpeg
47D0385B-0B61-434B-9AD8-C1F822B51387.jpeg

CVT Mt Denali I’ve had a long time. It’s a little heavy (~200lbs) and high profile but it was comfortable for many years for us. Still in my shop and hoping to try putting it on a trailer.

While I'm not a fan of RTTs directly mounted on my rig (hate the idea of having to tear down to go exploring and all that weight up there), I'm definitely interested in the trailer mounted RTT option. That is till I got on a challenging narrow PNW trail and got thinking about how I would ever back-down/turn around/or get out of sketchy situations towing on off-road trailer in the never-ending search for remote campsite and 4x4 fun.

So no advice, I think you need to make the choice based on your own wants and needs, but I can tell you why I choose not to pull a trailer. Might be TMI or not directly relevant, but I still live with the experiences I had trying to recover a fully up armored frag 5 HMMWV towing a trailer while being engaged in Iraq. Maybe one day I could be convinced to tow a trailer off road, but I bought my LX specifically so that I didn't have to.

I guess I never responded to this. I purpose built this trailer for my bigger trips. As a family of 5 and two dogs, the cruiser just doesn’t have enough room. The trailer opens up so many options for storage, sleeping etc.

I have more experience towing trailers than most people have driving. I think the first time I drove was with a trailer and have been since I was 5.

That being said I’m sure I can get myself in a situation where I wouldn’t want to be with a trailer. However I don’t see that happening anytime soon. I was in the ozarks with the tornado alley guys this winter and two of them had trailers that went everywhere we did. That’s what sold me on it. It’s all in your mindset.

For me the trailer opens up more opportunities to go. More places to take the family off the beaten path. I don’t have any doubt that the 200 will take the trailer anywhere it will go, and if I get in a situation that the trailer is a problem, I’ll unhook it and go on. There’s a way if there is a will.

Went with a CVT Mount Hood and am really happy. It’s not light at 160lbs but it’s really well made and engineered and the hardware is fantastic. Mounting it to the Prinsu was a tedious project for one guy but I’m really happy with it this far.

B9E48650-7128-4B2A-9CAB-5FE2255A1B9F.jpeg

Here's one of me checking departure and approach angles. After years of renting RTTs, I finally decided to purchase and decided to mount it on my off-roading trailer. Now, when we have a base camp, I no longer need to put the tent away to go anywhere. I also like having a larger sized one. Of course I have my wife and two young daughters in there with me usually. The 4 boys get to share Walmart ground tents, one per pair.

IMG_7222.jpeg

Of course I have my wife and two young daughters in there with me usually. The 4 boys get to share Walmart ground tents, one per pair.

Six kids? :oops:

And they all fit in the cruiser? You must be a level 99 Tetris master.

Six kids? :oops:

And they all fit in the cruiser? You must be a level 99 Tetris master.
Haha. 8 total with 8 seatbelts. One of the ways I justify a Cruiser. 😁 However, it’s time to get snipped since I can’t afford a civilian Mega Cruiser.

Here’s one with the RTT in use on the wife’s 4Runner.

73B9DB09-30C7-4695-A407-FC71A7F97FD4.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's one of me checking departure and approach angles. After years of renting RTTs, I finally decided to purchase and decided to mount it on my off-roading trailer. Now, when we have a base camp, I no longer need to put the tent away to go anywhere. I also like having a larger sized one. Of course I have my wife and two young daughters in there with me usually. The 4 boys get to share Walmart ground tents, one per pair.

View attachment 3116746
Great looking setup. 200 is CLEAN! Wow impressive setup with 6 kids. You should write a book on parenting keeping 6 kids in a cruiser getting along....

Great looking setup. 200 is CLEAN! Wow impressive setup with 6 kids. You should write a book on parenting keeping 6 kids in a cruiser getting along....
They don’t nessesarily get along, however one of the many reasons for the change from my 100 and into this 200 was for the factory DVD, which we love and appreciate. 🤪

Enjoying the pics and thanks to everyone that posted their setups. Some incredible rigs and beautiful spots. Selfishly, I was casting a net to see what was out there, to inform what I might get for my next RTT.

Reluctantly, I've given in and ordered an iKamper Skycamp 3.0. Don't like the price and thought I could find another opportunity at a lower price point. Almost universally, it has gotten rave reviews. For that, I'll pay a premium as I figure my 3rd RTT will be the best and last. That is the hope at least.

Next thing to tackle is how to mount. The bracket 3.0s the Skycamp comes with are too tall for the stock rack. Measuring 2.375 in height. The stock rack/bars has 2" clearance from the roof skin to the top of the rails. I'm wavering as to what I may do as I like so many things about the stock rack. But the Skycamp is 165lbs, which is a far cry from my last RTT at 80lbs. I may run 3-4 OE cross bars, and modify the bracket. TBD...

Enjoying the pics and thanks to everyone that posted their setups. Some incredible rigs and beautiful spots. Selfishly, I was casting a net to see what was out there, to inform what I might get for my next RTT.

Reluctantly, I've given in and ordered an iKamper Skycamp 3.0. Don't like the price and thought I could find another opportunity at a lower price point. Almost universally, it has gotten rave reviews. For that, I'll pay a premium as I figure my 3rd RTT will be the best and last. That is the hope at least.

Next thing to tackle is how to mount. The bracket 3.0s the Skycamp comes with are too tall for the stock rack. Measuring 2.375 in height. The stock rack/bars has 2" clearance from the roof skin to the top of the rails. I'm wavering as to what I may do as I like so many things about the stock rack. But the Skycamp is 165lbs, which is a far cry from my last RTT at 80lbs. I may run 3-4 OE cross bars, and modify the bracket. TBD...
If you're not yet married to the iKamper 3, try to find a used FreeSpiritRecreation M60 adventure (discontinued). Best RTT I've ever had, regret selling it, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I could find one near me.

If you're not yet married to the iKamper 3, try to find a used FreeSpiritRecreation M60 adventure (discontinued). Best RTT I've ever had, regret selling it, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I could find one near me.

Hadn't heard of that one before and had to look it up. Pretty solid.

I've got a few parameters that I need from the new tent.
- Sleep 4 with a mattress size of 83"x77". M60 is only 60"x78".
- Hard shell able to better handle windy deserts
- Quick setup
- Ability to store some bedding

As much as I don't want to give into the marketing hype, after evaluating the trade space, the iKamper was one of only to meet these requirements.

- Quick setup

As much as I don't want to give into the marketing hype, after evaluating the trade space, the iKamper was one of only to meet these requirements.
Right. If you’re sleeping four, the iKamper is a great option.

- Quick setup

I can’t fit any bedding in my 2.0. I’ve tried even just 2 of our Summer weight 40 degree bags with no luck, possibly flat sheets? sometimes it’s a little bit of a struggle to get it closed with nothing in it.

I can’t fit any bedding in my 2.0. I’ve tried even just 2 of our Summer weight 40 degree bags with no luck, possibly flat sheets? sometimes it’s a little bit of a struggle to get it closed with nothing in it.

I believe that from most reviews. Supposedly they increased the lid height by .5" and raised the profile all around in the 3.0. I went to look at one at an authorized dealer and they demoed it closing/opening with 2 sleeping bags laid out flat closest to hardcover hinge. Seemed to close fine.

The only option is the finish and I choose the rocky mtn one. I have high hopes for this tent.

I believe that from most reviews. Supposedly they increased the lid height by .5" and raised the profile all around in the 3.0. I went to look at one at an authorized dealer and they demoed it closing/opening with 2 sleeping bags laid out flat closest to hardcover hinge. Seemed to close fine.

The only option is the finish and I choose the rocky mtn one. I have high hopes for this tent.
Like I said further up, We really like ours. No complaints, rock solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom