RTH - Starter Keeps running after key off/out. Have to disconnect battery... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ended up being fused contacts in the magnetic switch. I’m going to say it was a combo of the low voltage situation and 251k miles.

Due to timing with weather and Work related items, i ended up letting my local dealer take this project on. They needed the business and I was able to negotiate the price a bit along with a few other things that have been nagging on the rig. Brand new OEM starter on board!

all good in the hood! Now I can hear that pretty new exhaust sound!

thanks all for the help!
Good news. How much?
How was/is battery and cables condition?

Good news. How much?
How was/is battery and cables condition?
Battery cables at the starter seemed fine according to the tech. i Need clean and rework the main fuse at the battery after seeing your posts. I’ll probably order the Slee military lugs and separate some of the lugs for the winch and dual battery and clean all the contacts. i’m on a maintenance roll now, so why not.

I’d Rather not say on the price so when this is viewed after the global crisis people don’t hold their dealership to it, but suffice to say I didn’t pay dealership MSRP on the OEM starter. the book says it takes 2.5hrs, it took them 3.5. i only paid 2hrs at their usual shop rate. all New manifold and throttle body gaskets too.

it helps to know what size the job is and be up front with the service advisor that you what it takes and what you want done. Once they know you know, there are no stealership games.... plus these guys were really hurting. Half their techs on furlough and only 1/3 of the service advisors working. Was happy to give them the business so they’re there when my CPO 200 needs work under warranty!

Battery cables at the starter seemed fine according to the tech. i Need clean and rework the main fuse at the battery after seeing your posts. I’ll probably order the Slee military lugs and separate some of the lugs for the winch and dual battery and clean all the contacts. i’m on a maintenance roll now, so why not.

I’d Rather not say on the price so when this is viewed after the global crisis people don’t hold their dealership to it, but suffice to say I didn’t pay dealership MSRP on the OEM starter. the book says it takes 2.5hrs, it took them 3.5. i only paid 2hrs at their usual shop rate. all New manifold and throttle body gaskets too.

it helps to know what size the job is and be up front with the service advisor that you what it takes and what you want done. Once they know you know, there are no stealership games.... plus these guys were really hurting. Half their techs on furlough and only 1/3 of the service advisors working. Was happy to give them the business so they’re there when my CPO 200 needs work under warranty!
Even with age I've not seen contact & plunger fuse. So possibly, it did have to do with low voltage.

2hrs is a great deal.

You stated new OEM starter. Likely it's a rebuilt Toyota Denso starter. If work order has a PN# it would end in -85

sorry @2001LC - you are correct it's a rebuilt Toyota Denso unit

@2001LC in your experience how have the rebuilt Toyota OEM units been performing long term?

@cboyd how long has your rebuilt Toyota OEM starter been in? Any issues?

@2001LC in your experience how have the rebuilt Toyota OEM units been performing long term?

@cboyd how long has your rebuilt Toyota OEM starter been in? Any issues?
Denso rebuilt are very good. Better than any aftermarkets rebuilt for sure. Toyota Denso may be a little better. I say "may". Because Toyota has list of must replace parts. Densos', it's up to the tech to detriment what is needed. This is what a Denso tech support rep told me.

We can also rebuild are own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom