RTH: no start no clicks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tapped the starter and no clicks or anything 290k. Any tips?

Do you have a CEL (Check Engine Light) when the key is in the "run" position, engine off?

Assuming ypu already checked the fuses, Use a multimeter to check voltage going to the starter. If you battery and wiring is good, pull the starter and test/rebuild it. A rebuild kit is available on eBay for about 25$. Could also be the ignition switch.

Got it started! I kept knocking on the starter and it finally turned over. Symptoms: turn key and no response. No clicks. Voltage gauge would dip a bit but that's it. Time to buy some parts! Thanks all

Starter and/or cable since the Voltmeter dipped when turn the key.

Good Luck!

Replacing the solenoid plunger and leads inside the starter is not very difficult at all. I would try that before replacing the entire starter.

Looking at the starter from the bottom. It appears that the bottom bolt had sheared off from the last install. Please tell me that the starter will come out if the top bolt is removed? Or is the bolt threaded into the shaft of the starter? Pic is from the bottom looking up. I believe the bolt holding the starter is supposed to be at the 3'o-clock position.

IMG_1284.JPG

the top bolt head comes in from the engine side and on the bottom bolt the head is on the tranny side

the top bolt head comes in from the engine side and on the bottom bolt the head is on the tranny side

Geez thanks! Almost had a heart attack when I saw it. Can't believe I missed that. I really need to get new glasses. :p

IMG_1284.JPG

That looks like a reman that has been there for quite some time. You may want to replace it as opposed to doing the contacts and plunger.

That looks like a reman that has been there for quite some time. You may want to replace it as opposed to doing the contacts and plunger.

I agree. Especially with 290k mi. Contacts and plunger did not work on mine at 250k and I ended up with a new (reman) one anyways.

Ditto that... Looks like kinda crusty. No telling what the windings on the inside look like. I'm just a fan of keeping the oem starter.

...glad that your bolt isn't showered tho. That one would be a pain to try and tap out.

Update for future tips.

The existing reman starter was installed by the Lexus dealer about 120k miles and ~10yrs ago. So this is starter number 3.

Just for prices. Called a local Lexus dealer and they were charging $1300!... but hey I get a loaner. Called a local mom and pop shop and they were charging $500.

I bought a reman Denso 2kw from Amazon.com for $137 which arrived at my door in 1 day. Also bought some tools from harbor freight: wobble extensions, flex heads for another $60 or so.

Took about an 1hr to replace myself using the flex head ratchets and the help of this forum.

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom