Builds ROTW: Wild Yoat's 1996 "Black & Tan" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

re_guderian said:
Anyway a tip on the collapsable CB antenna mount (learned the hard way). After 70 miles of washboarded dirt road in the folded position, the roll pin that it pivots on vibrated out, leaving my firestick dangling by a bungee cord. So check it every now and then and/or carry a spare.

THANKS! Good to know! That would be one of those little inconvienences that would really dampen things!

Very nice rig man!! An inspiration to us all. I love the Rack, i am debating on what to do, Tradesman or make my own.....

Here's some more pics of some little things. Emmett, I used three HELLA lightswitches that I purchased at Rallylights.com (part number HL96517, $6.68 each) that fit perfect in the left panel. There, I have one switch for the roof lights, one switch for the rock lights (see below), and the last switch for some "other" lights (for trail use only). :D

The roof lights are wired via blue tooth right now. Meaning I haven't completed them yet, but I will plan on going back to the "B" pillar, down in the "B" pillar interior panel, under the carpet, and into the dash to the switch. Of course passing through a relay and other appropriate wiring and fuses.

RW30.jpg

Here is a shot of the rock lights. I used to pre existing factory holes in the frame. I have them pointing across from each other to the opposite side of the vehicle (a "X" light pattern).

RW31.jpg

Another little gizmo, a headrest camera mount. Works out great as long as there is someone in the pass. seat (to dampen vibration). I use this when I race my BMW on the track too. Work's great. (P.S. I have another one new in bag if anyone wishes it, $45 shipped to you, PM me - only one)

RW32.jpg

Also in the interior, a Uniden Bearcat Trunking Scanner. Nothing more than something to listen too every now and then.

RW33.jpg

Another cheesy yet handy doo-dad, The "Gear Keeper" (Google) CB handle retractable system. Simply clips on your CB, and can be unclipped with ease. Makes things 10X easier when wheeling and driving. No fumbling.

RW37.jpg

Other little puny dumb things- I hate rattles. I sliced up a BMX foam bike handlegrip and used them as thick washers on all my D-rings. Furthermore, I got some industrial Velcro (wide stuff) and made a stick-on template on the D-ring mounts to stop rattleing. (I know, I know, weak - but it works).

RW34.jpg

Another shot of the "J-Moose" rack. I drilled a hole in the Hi-Lift Base and found a handy knob at Lowe's Hardware store to keep it there. Yet it's easy enough to remove when needed.

RW35.jpg

And these "Swagman" (brand) Bike mounts are sure handy to use for Axe or Shovels on any rack or bed of a truck. Again, holds the item nice and tight, comes with a rubber inside to prevent rattleing.

RW36.jpg

It's the details that make it so sweet. Again, great innovations. Thanks.

How about a little video. Only has a little bit of "Black & Tan" on it, but never the less she's in there (as well as other cool Cruisers). This was late last year in Moab on a WC run.

Yoats, sweet ride and great innovation. Do you have any pics of the rear undercarriage where the air and water tanks are? Thanks

Good looking rig there Johnny:beer: . Good to see it out on the trail(thanks DMC:D ). You comming out to the Outlaws Run this year:grinpimp: :beer: :beer:

so cool Johnny! Tons of great stuff and you always seem to find a new mod to improve things. Keep it up!

Nice rig! I like the way you mounted your shovel! I have been trying to figure a way to mount a shovel and axe to my roof rack and that looks like a perfect idea!

Yoats, sweet ride and great innovation. Do you have any pics of the air and water tanks under the rear end? Thanks

I love all the little touches

can you post some info on the water tank? also pics of how its mounted ect.. also do you have to use a hose to fill it?

thanks
mike

awesome ride

Man, that truck is great.
Has anyone ever called you Macgyver? Looks like with two rocks and a screwdriver you could make something useful and attractive. If you can think of it, you will make it! My kind of guy.
The 80 bogs a bit on long hills, but that's ok. I used to run shortback Monteros. Great truck that 4-wheeled thru anything, but you need to be a patient man in the mountains. The 80 will pull a 7% grade with a 1/2 ton trailer without slowing below 55 mph. I don't complain!
I have a new house that is not wired for a welder and a pile of boxes in the garage. When I correct those problems, I'll be looking at your rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom