Roof Basket / Kayak Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been thinking about combo roof basket / kayak rack. I keep my roof rack on my LX470 100% of the time. When I need to get my kayaks loaded I have to put the kayak rack on top of the basket. I have two problems with that. 1. It's a pain in the ass 2. Kayak/Kayaks sit way too high. Pictured are renderings of a single and a double. Still lots of work to do on the design, dimensions etc. ..... Just wanted to get a feeling on the general idea. Like or No-Like???

Pictures removed. I will re-post after some design work.

Last edited:
Nice i like it

I think it's a brilliant idea. Interested to see final product. J

You might want the sides to fold down for ease of loading. The biggest thing that got us away from kayaks was loading and unloading onto a lifted rig, adding the basket sides would make that even more difficult.

You might want the sides to fold down for ease of loading. The biggest thing that got us away from kayaks was loading and unloading onto a lifted rig, adding the basket sides would make that even more difficult.
I'm working on a roller attachment for the back for loading from the back. I also have an idea for loading from the side... Stay tuned.

Really like this idea!

I have this for my FJ80 and it works great. This would be perfect for the rear loading
Kayakrollerloader.jpg

SUV Kayak roller loader

^^Thats a good idea. Easy to load and unload without running the risk of scratching/damaging your rack or kayak. You can go over to Overtons.com or any other sporting goods website and look at "boat trailer rollers" for some inspiration.

I'm actually doing a 1/2 flat basket rack (lengthwise) using 4 thule cross bars and a home depot security door. The other 1/2 of the width uses a thule "hullavator" kayak rack. This on my 60.

This gizmo allow bringing the kayak from the roof level to along side the rig at chest/shoulder lever. Works great.

Modded it for surf/paddle boards.

Now, surfboards occupy 1/2 width of the roof, while the rack occupies the other 1/2 width of the roof (full length).

Just bought a 100 series....trying to figure out how to mount above system onto it.

I would love to buy or build one of these... can you upload some pics of the final product?
I will be uploading some pictures in a few days. I applied for a patten on the concept but that won't stop you from building one for yourself, personal use. Buying one might be several months out. We are still working on some details for mounting the unit to a OEM roof rack and some other features. The drawings/pictures I post should give you a good outline for a self build.

I will be uploading some pictures in a few days. I applied for a patten on the concept but that won't stop you from building one for yourself, personal use. Buying one might be several months out. We are still working on some details for mounting the unit to a OEM roof rack and some other features. The drawings/pictures I post should give you a good outline for a self build.

Very cool... I might have to be one of your first customers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom