Rip off Flank's tire carrier: Complete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It mutated into a bad case of completely-forgetting-everything-I-promised-everyone-else...

Alriiiiiight! I finally posted the measurements! Check them out here.

Rip off Flank's tire carrier: Complete (pics included)

Not too bad for my first welding project. The tubing is 3/16" thick, 2" outside diameter, everything else is 1/4" plate. Everything is MIG welded and plasma cut (except the one plate that goes between the wheel and the padlock, some idiot ran the plasma cutter without the air feed filter and it got water in it, so I had to use the oxyacetylene caveman torch). Spindle from IPOR, decided to screw the latch and used a hitch pin design. Now I just have to paint the thing, maybe add a second hitch pin and a few support welds on the vertical piece. Total cost, $150. Borrowed ideas liberally from this design, credit to Flank. :cheers:

Measurements for my project can be found here.

Photo0278.jpg

Photo0281.jpg

Photo0279.jpg
Is that a "steal your face" toyota logo sticker in the left-hand lower corner of your 80?!

Is that a "steal your face" toyota logo sticker in the left-hand lower corner of your 80?!

It sure is. Got it from a member here years ago. It's not looking so hot now.

How is your carrier holding up? Thanks for the write up, will be undertaking a DIY carrier soon. Is that coyote brown on those OEM wheels?

How is your carrier holding up? Thanks for the write up, will be undertaking a DIY carrier soon. Is that coyote brown on those OEM wheels?

Still working! A little rust where the rattle can has flaked so I’ll have to try that rust converter paint stuff. The wheels were Krylon matte black but I’ve since put 16” 4Runner wheels on it

Oh wait, I just looked at the original photos. That’s not brown paint. Just mud. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom