Bolt on Tire Carrier Finished, for now... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Flank

American by Birth, Texan by the grace of God.
Threads
Website
www.staltimber.com
Thought I'd post up final painted pics of the tire carrier project from this build thread.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/257957-spare-tire-carrier-bolts-bumper.html

I may still look to add a Hi-Jack carrier at some point, but I got impatient and wanted to get paint on it and get it installed. Tire on is small - stock, but have fitted it very nicely with my 305's, and it should accommodate a 35" very nicely.

Upgrades I know I will do is to light the license plate bracket (when I feel like it) and upgrade the latch to a larger one.
IMG_0001_7.jpg
IMG_0002_4.jpg
IMG_0003_6.JPG

And, Open:
IMG_0004_4.jpg

Nice, maybe you should consider to sell some "copies" of your tire carrier / I would be very interested :)

That's nice. Would be a great bolt on option.

My only concern would be the amount of leverage you could get on the end, as the swivel point is so far away from the bolt on part.

During the build, I sat my 240 lb butt on the extended arm and bounced without any problem. I used grade 8 hardware and realized I did overkill using 1/4" thick steel for the tubing, and 1/2" for the bumper bracket, and the spindle is very strong, rated to 1000lbs. Basically, the thing is overbuilt, I can't see any possible failure points. My steelies with the Procomp X-terrains weigh about 70-80lbs, and it held this fine. Plus, while stowed, the tire rests all weight directly between the two bolt on points, with no stress on the spindle at all.

Ah, didn't know you used 1/4" and 1/2". You should be fine then. :cheers:

How much?

Nice design. :) I'm liking the simple bolt-on ability to buy time until making a complete aftermarket rear bumper!

You going to start fabbing these up and selling them? If you are, count me in!

Count me IN! Unless I build one myself first :D

interested in one of these as well.

I like that a lot. Looks very clean. Plans to make more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom