RIP Gudmundur 2.0 - TOTALED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found this post below from @MongooseGA from ~15 months ago WRT insurance company đź’©. The "SWIM" para below makes me smile... :rofl:

This is, I would say, the norm. Ex: I was lucky in that a corporate vehicle hit my freshly build '00 LC last Summer (dump truck). I had literally just installed the springs the night before, and had about $20k in receipts from parts and labor in the previous 2-3 weeks. I fought them for weeks to get a check that was enough to replace "MY" truck. That's the thing... I was in a fortunate position but even still, they just wanted to replace with another $8k LC. No, no, no. "MY" truck had $20K worth of investment in it, and nothing they were going to point to as comps would have. Eventually I got to the point of calling an attorney and only then did the higher-ups step in and cut me a check that started with a '2'.

Your trick is what most people do. These totalled vehicles go to auction and get purchased by rebuilders or scrap yards. Strip the good stuff and replace it with whatever fits in the spot.

SWIM (someone who isn't me) had a totalled LC100 with a lot of money in new parts on it. That same person now owns a 2005 LX with a very similar mod list to the aforementioned LC. The LC, as I'm told, went to the scrap yard with blown speakers put back in, Tundra steelies and bald tires, blown OEM suspension, etc. If only those SS DT headers weren't such a bitch to R+R...

Cheers mates,
G

So finally got to a settlement with my insurance. I sent them a bunch of comps and prices for the upgrades I installed. Their original offer was $7,900 (with me pulling all the stuff below). I countered with $15,600, we settled on $12,600. In the future, if I build up a rig definitely going to get the "upgrade premium"

They are letting me pull anything reasonable off the Cruiser. Doing that tomorrow with a couple of buddies. Pulling:
- RTT
- Front Runner roof rack
- Interior barrier
- Slee rear bumper
- Sliders
- Drawers
- 2nd Aux battery
- Solar charger

So glad you got a decent value out of it.

for us uninformed, what’s a upgrade premium? I think a lot of us would have to fight the same fight you did if this happened.

So glad you got a decent value out of it.

for us uninformed, what’s a upgrade premium? I think a lot of us would have to fight the same fight you did if this happened.

I've heard two different types of upgrade premiums. One version you pick a blanket value for upgrades on the Cruiser. Let's say $5,000. Then they charge you an additional yearly premium for that $5,000.

The other way, @gatormark91 mentioned. Keep an actual list with receipts, etc. Premium is updated on individual upgrades.

I pay abut $120 extra a year with an add-on policy that spells out the extra stuff I have (bumper, winch, suspension bits, sliders, wheels) with their value, and my policy pays out for those now if the vehicle is totaled. So I just walk away and buy new.

Late to the game, glad you're safe. 100's have incredible stories of generally life threatening accidents that come out just fine. Imagine being in a Highlander or a Prius...

Props to Slee, that front bumper seemed to help.

So finally got to a settlement with my insurance. I sent them a bunch of comps and prices for the upgrades I installed. Their original offer was $7,900 (with me pulling all the stuff below). I countered with $15,600, we settled on $12,600. In the future, if I build up a rig definitely going to get the "upgrade premium"

They are letting me pull anything reasonable off the Cruiser. Doing that tomorrow with a couple of buddies. Pulling:
- RTT
- Front Runner roof rack
- Interior barrier
- Slee rear bumper
- Sliders
- Drawers
- 2nd Aux battery
- Solar charger
Did you get a salvage price quote for buying it back after settling @CORunner ?

- RTT
- Front Runner roof rack
- Interior barrier
- Slee rear bumper
- Sliders
- Drawers
- 2nd Aux battery
- Solar charger

Well they came up significantly on the value , I would call that a win.:clap:

Yep. Has a hood vinyl blackout that I got on a group buy here on Mud and a solar panel on top of that.

Really sorry to hear about your 100. Glad to hear you're okay and getting a (more) reasonable insurance payout.

Can I trouble you for a couple more words on the solar setup that was on the hood? How did you affix the panel onto the vinyl? Just adhesive, or did it require any sort of drilling/permanent modification to the hood itself?

Another insurance term used with the same meaning as "Upgrade Premium" is "Argeed Value".

Was able to round up some friends and finally pulled all the parts off. Glad I had all the extra help. Taking everything off at once, made me realize how heavy of a load a fully loaded cruiser really is.

The Copart yard is an interesting place. Constant stream of semis/flatbeds/etc bringing wrecked vehicles in and/or taking them away.

They brought mine out to the front parking lot so it was easier to pull everything off. Took about 2.5hrs to pull everything off and load it into a U-haul. Everything is in my garage now..... just need another Cruiser!

Efficient way to move around totaled vehicles
full

Before
full

After
full

Waiting for the next project
full

Really sorry to hear about your 100. Glad to hear you're okay and getting a (more) reasonable insurance payout.

Can I trouble you for a couple more words on the solar setup that was on the hood? How did you affix the panel onto the vinyl? Just adhesive, or did it require any sort of drilling/permanent modification to the hood itself?
Here is short write up on it. Solar Battery Tenders

I bought a hood vinyl through a group buy awhile ago. Then used 3M VBH double sided industrial tape to hold the solar to the vinyl. No need for any drilling or modifying the hood. Routed the cables around the top seal. Had it on there for about a year. Held up great. No issues with durability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom