Ring paint/ pinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got my differential back. Before I put it in I noticed that there was no paint on the ring. Should I be worried? I always thought that the paint on the ring was used to show that the pinion was running centered on the ring.

There is no paint to show where it is running.

Should I be worried?

Worth a phone call. I've only done a few and left it on there. This time a I had a shop rebuild everything, ARB, etc. and got it back no paint. I would think they just cleaned it.

i second the phone call

Should I be worried?

I’m always worried whenever someone does work for me, I would check it myself regardless if you call them or not, it’s easy and fast enough that there’s no reason not to.

FYI back in the days before internets and easy access to all the proper stuff we would steel lipstick from our girlfriends and smash it into a paste and brush it on to the gears to check gear patterns.

Your girlfriend wore yellow lipstick! :)

Ha no..

From memory it was some sort pink glitter and believe it or not the lipstick works better than the yellow grease we use now.

I talked w the guy and he said that the backlash was adjusted back to what it should be so everything else should be the same. Meaning there was no need to do the painting on the ring.

Sound right?

sounds like he thinks he didn't need to check it...I'd check it and post up results for opinions...he could have lied and said it was fine and he cleaned it off. His Honesty has got to be worth something? kinda makes me think about how some younger rattle snakes stopped rattling...they figured out the honest ones who were warning us were getting punished for it...buyer beware; put some yellow lip stick on it, and give it a twist!

he said that the backlash was adjusted back to what it should be so everything else should be the same...

Talked w one of the workers originally and the boss called me later to reassure me. Good guy. Said they measured the backlash before and when they reassembled matched the same backlash and said that the pinion/ring would not have changed.

He came recommended/has been really helpful/did my rear locker with no issues, and it's already in. I'm am gonna have faith.

I agree with LAMBCRUSHER,
Takes less than 5 minutes to check, if you cared enough to ask the questions then I wouldn’t accept “it should be ok” for the answer.

Check it yourself and post the pictures here, plenty of guys know what proper gear mesh it supposed to look like and can help you confirm you won’t have any issues before you reinstall your third.

If they did not remove the pinion, then they are correct-assuming it was good before, the pinion depth should still be good now. Reset the backlash and good to go. But...

That seems sloppy. If you have gone to the trouble to pull it apart, examine it, replace seals bearings and what ever, it's 1 more minute to do a gear paint. That will tell you if pinion depth is right and if there is a normal wear pattern. I'd want to know.

Do it yourself, paint it and do a drive side and coast side picture and post in this thread.

But for sure, if the pinion came out for new bearings or whatever, it for sure needs to be painted.

From my limited time learning how to rebuild the third member, the backlash can be set correctly but the meshing of the ring and pinion can still be off. It's definitely worth it a quick look.

Check gearinstalls.com for some examples of proper gear meshing.

Hells Bells
By the time everyone responded I had all I had left to do was bleed the brakes and then run the electrical!!

I am going to mark this one up to practice practice practice- for something hopefully I will never deal with again! Pulling it out, bought this blueish stuff, and here are the pics.

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0125 (1).JPG

That's some hard to see gear paint, but the drive side pattern looks "slight deep" and centered which is what you want. I'd run it.

Hard to see from your photo but this is what you're looking for.
Gearmeshpatterns.jpg