Ring Gear Fix... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

084runnerltd

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

Haven’t been in the 80 forums in a few years, sold the 80, bought an H1, sold the H1, bought a 100 and still miss the 80....

Anyway, I came across a dirt cheap triple locked 80. It is too far away from me to inspect now, but I will be in the area around Xmas and was thinking about grabbing it, skipping my flight home and driving home 700 miles...

Anyway, the seller said he bought the 80, took it out once and the “ring gear went out.”

So I can do basic stuff: Axle service, brake job, lift, etc... But I am not familiar with ring gears or replacing them...this would be a 3rd vehicle, so it isn’t something I need to fix immediately, just wondering how many banana this job is? And if I can drive it 700 miles with a bad ring gear?

For 2k, a triple locked, very low rust 80 series seems like a steal to me.

Can anyone shed some light on this repair??

Thanks in advance.

Each axle has a ring and pinion gear. These are what let the driveshaft drive the wheels. I don't know what the po meant by it "went out", but I assume they mean it is stripped/ destroyed. This would not be driveable. If the front ring gear is toast you could do the 7 pin mod and pull the front driveshaft to get home.

Just to let you know, not only do you need to change the ring gear, but you also need to change the pinion gear too. If you've never done this type of work before, I HIGHLY recommend you spend the money, and have it done by somebody who knows what they are doing. Other wise if you set the gears up incorrectly, you'll end up spending even more money having the job done over by someone who does know how to set them up correctly.

Each axle has a ring and pinion gear. These are what let the driveshaft drive the wheels. I don't know what the po meant by it "went out", but I assume they mean it is stripped/ destroyed. This would not be driveable. If the front ring gear is toast you could do the 7 pin mod and pull the front driveshaft to get home.

Ya, I am guessing you are right, likely stripped out. The pics he sent looks like it had been sitting a while.

If I remember correctly 7pin mod is just clipping a wire in passenger floor board. Easy enough...fingers crossed it is in the front....

Just to let you know, not only do you need to change the ring gear, but you also need to change the pinion gear too. If you've never done this type of work before, I HIGHLY recommend you spend the money, and have it done by somebody who knows what they are doing. Other wise if you set the gears up incorrectly, you'll end up spending even more money having the job done over by someone who does know how to set them up correctly.

Yup, never done before. Dang it, just when I thought I found a unicorn.

Any estimate on repair cost?

Best person to answer that would be Mub member Zok in the link i posted above.

Pin 7 mod is not the correct solution. That just keeps the CDL unlocked in low range.

When pulling one of the driveshafts the CDL MUST be locked, In order to do that the CDL needs to be locked in low range then the fuse pulled to keep it locked when shifting back into high range. The alternative is to install the CDL dash switch to make the lock.

Two problems, first the CDL must be working otherwise it will need to be fixed first. If the CDL hasn't been used recently there is a good chance it won't lock without some attention. Second if the front diff is trashed you would need to pull both axle shafts to be safe. A huge job to do away from home. If the rear diff is trashed both axles need to be pulled. Not as big of a job as the front but still would be a pain.

Pin 7 mod is not the correct solution. That just keeps the CDL unlocked in low range.

When pulling one of the driveshafts the CDL MUST be locked, In order to do that the CDL needs to be locked in low range then the fuse pulled to keep it locked when shifting back into high range. The alternative is to install the CDL dash switch to make the lock.

Two problems, first the CDL must be working otherwise it will need to be fixed first. If the CDL hasn't been used recently there is a good chance it won't lock without some attention. Second if the front diff is trashed you would need to pull both axle shafts to be safe. A huge job to do away from home. If the rear diff is trashed both axles need to be pulled. Not as big of a job as the front but still would be a pain.
Agreed regarding the CDL, that's how it works. If the front ring/pinion is poop you "could" pull both front axle drive flanges and the front driveshaft and lock the CDL. You won't have to actually pull the inner axle shafts but you can expect to get dirt/grime up inside the hubs with the drive flanges out. I'd probably pack the void with rags and such and plan on a rebuild/cleaning when I got home. It'd be much easier than pulling the shafts tho.

If the rear is shot, pulling the rear shafts is quite simple and I'd again just pack with rags. As for repair price, I'd try to find a good used 3rd and swap it in. Likely much cheaper then buying parts and repairing what you have. Expect to pay more for the high pinion 8" front, like somewhere in the neighborhood of $400

I should clarify that I would pull the front axle shafts because if the real problem was a busted birfield instead of a ring gear then the steering could be compromised by pieces of the birfield.

The more I learn about it from the seller the less interested I am.

Looks like he has it half way apart, not sure if he attempted to fix it and gave up or what..and more pics of the beast show more rust.

Maybe I would do something if it was closer, but looks like a Xmas headache to me. Thanks for all the input.

The more I learn about it from the seller the less interested I am.

Looks like he has it half way apart, not sure if he attempted to fix it and gave up or what..and more pics of the beast show more rust.

Maybe I would do something if it was closer, but looks like a Xmas headache to me. Thanks for all the input.
Pics???

These were the last pics I got...

40E86743-4744-43FE-AC28-401FF2A162E4.jpeg

73DBE391-93A3-466A-A469-19EAB0CD866C.jpeg

627CC22F-D0AC-4056-8CD6-D70E9A8F2D45.jpeg

it could have been mis-diagnosed and actually only a drive flange that stripped. Kind of common on the early 80s which would include 1993 and the beginning of the 1994 trucks which could be triple locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom