Builds Rig of the Fortnight MaddBaggins (part III) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

-Baggins, you got any pics of your Elk hunt? Would love to see them! Where did you hunt?

Just a couple more snow pics like the ones above. We hunted around Stoneman Lake and Schnebly Hill. Just south of Flagstaff AZ.

I actually like the idea of putting the ARB compressor in one of the rear panels. You happen to have any pictures? I am getting ready to start a HG PM and after that's over its on to ARBs and 4.88s.

josh

I actually like the idea of putting the ARB compressor in one of the rear panels. You happen to have any pictures? I am getting ready to start a HG PM and after that's over its on to ARBs and 4.88s.

josh

These were the best angles I could get around my storage deck. One from the side and one from above.
Also, I sleeved the entire length of the blue air line in 1/4 fuel line. Not an easy task, but protects every inch if air line from getting cut or worn thru. The air line runs thru the rear quarter panel, then under the carpet to the firewall, then thru the firewall and down to the front diff.
DSC02682.jpg
DSC02684.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I sleeved the entire length of the blue air line in 1/4 fuel line. Not an easy task, but protects every inch if air line from getting cut or worn thru. The air line runs thru the rear quarter panel, then under the carpet to the firewall, then thru the firewall and down to the front diff.

Wow, I bet you made up some new words doing that! And on the ARB air locker subject, since my 80 is unlocked and I envision it someday having air lockers. I wonder if you could use hard brake line for most of the runs - like on the frame and down on the axles. Use a SS flex line from frame to axle and then use the blue air line just at the ends (diff. & compressor). Seems like it would hold up and be less susceptible to damage. I thought I'd ask a current air locker owner & user for their .02.

BTW - Tortuga looks awsome! '94s were the BEST year!

Wow, I bet you made up some new words doing that! And on the ARB air locker subject, since my 80 is unlocked and I envision it someday having air lockers. I wonder if you could use hard brake line for most of the runs - like on the frame and down on the axles. Use a SS flex line from frame to axle and then use the blue air line just at the ends (diff. & compressor). Seems like it would hold up and be less susceptible to damage. I thought I'd ask a current air locker owner & user for their .02.

BTW - Tortuga looks awsome! '94s were the BEST year!

It wasn't to difficult. A little WD40 and some patience.

If you can make the connection work on the hard line then go for it. My only worry would be the connection point. Instead of one long run from the compressor to the diff, you would have transitions in there. Those would be your most likely point to fail.

Thanks and 94's are the best ;)

Congrats on the front bumper!

Hey there Alvin...I didn't get to see your truck all that closely as we were in your driveway at night (AT Pickup) it sure is a choice rig.
I have a question, and forgive my ignorance, but why two different weights on the diff fluid?
I am guessing it has to do with the aussie locker?

Roger

Hey there Alvin...I didn't get to see your truck all that closely as we were in your driveway at night (AT Pickup) it sure is a choice rig.
I have a question, and forgive my ignorance, but why two different weights on the diff fluid?
I am guessing it has to do with the aussie locker?

Roger

Exactly. Aussie recommends using a heavier oil with their locker. It helps keep down the noise of the locker in street use.

Why such a variety of fluids if you don't mind me asking? Do you stay loyal to the fluid in each location, or is that just what is currently in your truck?

Thought about running a synthetic motor oil? I know the chevron delo is unbeatable for a dino, but you got synthetics in so many other places already, so just thought I would ask

Why such a variety of fluids if you don't mind me asking? Do you stay loyal to the fluid in each location, or is that just what is currently in your truck?

Thought about running a synthetic motor oil? I know the chevron delo is unbeatable for a dino, but you got synthetics in so many other places already, so just thought I would ask

I tried Mobil 1 motor oil for a while. It's pricey and I couldn't let the change interval stretch out enough to justify it.
I'm getting excellent results with Delo at 4500 intervals and it's 8-9 bucks a gallon. See here and here for my Blackstone reports.

With the diffs I change out once a year. Mobil 1 is to pricey for that. I use the Valvoline Durablend over the cheapy stuff though.

I use Mobil 1 syn in the transfer because it only has 1-1/2 qts and see's harsh duty. Only the best there and I change it once a year.

The tranny gets a drain and refill (6qts) once a year with Mobil 1 syn ATF.

Yes, I'm loyal to each of these fluids in each application. When I first got the rig, I went nuts with Mobil 1 everywhere. Thats expensive. It's the best out there and so I continue to use it in the tranny and transfer because they get used hard. There's a ton of good choices for motor oil and I prefer to change it more often so I went back to dino for the cost savings. With the diffs I change once year since you never know when you might get water contamination from deep crossings. My breathers are extended, but I've heard it can still get in. Hasn't happened to me, but I still change it anyway.

I tried Mobil 1 motor oil for a while. It's pricey and I couldn't let the change interval stretch out enough to justify it.
I'm getting excellent results with Delo at 4500 intervals and it's 8-9 bucks a gallon. See here and here for my Blackstone reports.

With the diffs I change out once a year. Mobil 1 is to pricey for that. I use the Valvoline Durablend over the cheapy stuff though.

I use Mobil 1 syn in the transfer because it only has 1-1/2 qts and see's harsh duty. Only the best there and I change it once a year.

The tranny gets a drain and refill (6qts) once a year with Mobil 1 syn ATF.

Yes, I'm loyal to each of these fluids in each application. When I first got the rig, I went nuts with Mobil 1 everywhere. Thats expensive. It's the best out there and so I continue to use it in the tranny and transfer because they get used hard. There's a ton of good choices for motor oil and I prefer to change it more often so I went back to dino for the cost savings. With the diffs I change once year since you never know when you might get water contamination from deep crossings. My breathers are extended, but I've heard it can still get in. Hasn't happened to me, but I still change it anyway.

You make some great points, especially about the engine oil. That Delo is mighty impressive. I'd prefer to run Delo in several spots, particularly the delo gear oil, but it is virtually impossible to get ahold of. A Delo dino/Mobil1 synth combo vehicle is in my future, but currently I have valvoline in too many places for my liking because it's cheap.

thanks for the input, i'll be following your advice for sure

After spending a lot of time around Alvin and Tortuga, I find myself really appreciating all the little mods that have been done to her.
Thanks for all the help you've provided me and my ride! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom