Ride Rotten - Think I know the cause, need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,

I have an 2006 Lexus LX470 that I am selling to my dad for more rugged use than my daily city driving. But there are a few issues I want to fix prior to handing it off to him:
  • The ride is abhorrent and is like sitting on an AK-47
  • The AHC system seems to be auto-correcting on the front left side, seemingly at random. It will go up, down, and then neutral in the matter of seconds. This would lead me to believe the AHC system is faulty? However, I am able to move the car up and down with the system at ease. The Comfort --> Sport section is useless and doesn't change the ride at all.
  • The muffler is definitely leaking, as there is a notable clicking
Because of this, I am led to believe that the muffler is leaking and has burned the wires out - similar to this post here.

I am in no way qualified to fix this, however, and need advice on what the best route to go is. I am 2.5 hours from Boise, where there is both a Lexus dealer and a Lexus/Asian car specialty repair shop. Meanwhile, I'm 30 minutes from an okay repair shop in Hailey - would they even know how to do this?

Appreciate any advice you can offer, Besides that, love the car and have loved it for years. Just need to get it fixed before gifting it to the old man (so I don't have to hear the gripe about the ride!).

Welcome to Mud.

For anything AHC related do a graduations test and get a dongle so you can use Techstream to read parameters. I'd do this even if you plan on having someone else fix.

The ride is abhorrent and is like sitting on an AK-47
Globes are shot, suspension components are shot, and/or pressures are too high. Read the AHC thread 'graduations test', 'neutral pressures', check bushings for sway bar/front diff/control arms. Also upper and lower ball joints.
The AHC system seems to be auto-correcting on the front left side, seemingly at random. It will go up, down, and then neutral in the matter of seconds. This would lead me to believe the AHC system is faulty? However, I am able to move the car up and down with the system at ease.
I'd suspect an AHC sensor, but again Techstream.
The Comfort --> Sport section is useless and doesn't change the ride at all.
AHC fluid bleed might do it if you are lucky, but probably new globes. Techsteam and graduations test, then JDMPlanet seller on ebay.
Because of this, I am led to believe that the muffler is leaking and has burned the wires out - similar to this post here.
Should be simple enough for a any competent shop to find, but check your manifolds too.
I am in no way qualified to fix this, however, and need advice on what the best route to go is. I am 2.5 hours from Boise, where there is both a Lexus dealer and a Lexus/Asian car specialty repair shop. Meanwhile, I'm 30 minutes from an okay repair shop in Hailey - would they even know how to do this?
I wouldn't bet on even the Lexus dealer to know how to troubleshoot and/or repair the AHC system - let alone at a reasonable price. I'd find a shop that specializes in these rigs via the local clubhouse section of Mud even if you have to drive a lot further. Or, ditch AHC. I love it, but depending on your Dad's intended use he may of may not want to deal with it.

Good luck!

Welcome to Mud.

For anything AHC related do a graduations test and get a dongle so you can use Techstream to read parameters. I'd do this even if you plan on having someone else fix.

Globes are shot, suspension components are shot, and/or pressures are too high. Read the AHC thread 'graduations test', 'neutral pressures', check bushings for sway bar/front diff/control arms. Also upper and lower ball joints.

I'd suspect an AHC sensor, but again Techstream.

AHC fluid bleed might do it if you are lucky, but probably new globes. Techsteam and graduations test, then JDMPlanet seller on ebay.

Should be simple enough for a any competent shop to find, but check your manifolds too.

I wouldn't bet on even the Lexus dealer to know how to troubleshoot and/or repair the AHC system - let alone at a reasonable price. I'd find a shop that specializes in these rigs via the local clubhouse section of Mud even if you have to drive a lot further. Or, ditch AHC. I love it, but depending on your Dad's intended use he may of may not want to deal with it.

Good luck!
Thank you!

I didn't know the Clubhouse existed - going to start there, and see if I can get someone local to help me out (or suggest where to go), as I am completely and utterly lost on this. Hoping a local shop will know what to do - starting to call around. Where I am, I think there is a 1 LX470/100 series LC/80 series LC for every 10 cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom