Riddle me this forum peeps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How does one know if ye has a genuine Toyota radiator or aftermarket.For reference it's a 97 80 but the radiator is not a plastic tank that's in it it is a copper and brass unit.Are their some numbers I should be looking for our stampings that are special I should be looking for on said unit. I hath sprang a leak and want to replace or fix it's not bad yet.Also on a side note is the koyorad c1917a good replacement as the csf is much money to spend.I could really use some advice.I have used search on here but needing some fresh info.

AFAIK Toyota did not do all metal rads.

I have 2 LX450s and I have replaced both with the Amazon TYC 1918 Toyota/Lexus 2-Row Plastic Aluminum Replacement Radiator and have ZERO complaints. One even lives in AZ and in 100*+ I have no issues.

Thanks I knew it wasn't the original one cause it's all metal but my 94 was in 95 they changed to plastic tank aluminium job.

Last edited:
How do you tell if its original? If it's all metal, its not, but what other identifier would give it away??

You can still get full metal 3 core brass. @beno helped me out. Might want to check out "while I am in there". Water pump, fan clutch, hoses and such.

You can still get full metal 3 core brass. @beno helped me out. Might want to check out "while I am in there". Water pump, fan clutch, hoses and such.
You can still get either one no problem, saw both Friday.

Opted to go with the newer style. I tried to figure out how to tell for sure if it's original and couldn't find a for sure answer.

I got mine made @ a radiator shop, no complaints....

I have the koyorad in my 80 and its been great, and looks to be of excellent quality. Nothing beats mr T, but this is still a nice alternative.

That is, if thoust wouldst appreciateth another opinionst.

So Toyota rad will have outer plastic tank, top and bottom the core inside will be either brass which is 94 earlier or aluminum which is from the 95s, the brass will do better in the long run as far as cooling and corrosion

image.jpeg
Ps don't buy the cheapest piece s*** you find on eBay if you want your cruiser to last. Here is puck of the Toyota sticker with numbers on it located on top of the tank, this is brass core one

Hey dogfish is yours the c1917 or the a1918 from koyorad the c version is much more than the a version

IIRC..

c = copper
a = aluminum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom