Resurrection of a 1991 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still in the process of getting the back two springs off. I have one and it was not fun. Word of advice if you think about doing this. Skip the back two at the firewall or just skip the whole thing and say it must be blowing by the rings! It’s a doozy, but persistence is 🔑

Success! Finally got the back two replaced and back in. Not fun at all but the rest should be a breeze (knock on wood). 4 down, 8 to go!

7AEDD8FC-24DF-4C96-8E99-7527BCC3329A.jpeg

C747897C-415A-4A3E-A587-AE20F2D35712.jpeg

A37FB587-4F70-4558-90A1-3E4EDF742E74.jpeg

Home stretch got all seals back in and just two more springs to install back in. Had to take the throttle body off to be able to get tools where they needed to go. All and all glad to have it pretty much wrapped up. Tab on the plug to the idle control was brittle and sadly broke hopefully it’ll stay put when I put it back.

C7553F4A-5716-415C-A850-E84EFAF2ED4E.jpeg

D1CE43B5-04DA-4512-A898-C9196BA46529.jpeg

31E9C150-5D7E-4CF8-B725-A03E32FBECE0.jpeg

Any reason I should go with the jute matting back under the carpet? I took the original stuff off and I already have sound deadened to put down.

Are these correct? It seemed like I had the right part number but they don’t seem to sit as far down as they should. I’m sure when I torque the valve cover back down it will sit more flush and not allow any leaking just wanting to double check.

3AD46E81-5CCA-4830-9D89-27BC13527733.jpeg

425596AA-492D-4D69-8A2D-8A514DB51A0A.jpeg

6CB941C3-04C7-4594-8CC8-EE540868BD84.jpeg

Long time no post. Life got in the way and I haven’t been able to progress much on the old girl. Got some work in on her today though. Adjusted the valves (I’ll have to do this over when it’s warm). Installed new plugs, rotor, distributor cap, and wires. Progress is progress

IMG_5093.jpeg

Well got her all buttoned up. No wonder there was water in the floor board. Under the cowling there was more mess than you can think of. Vacced it up and left it for the pressure washer. She made her maiden voyage down the driveway and back. Battery wouldn’t handle it and I had to jump it off multiple times. Other than that ran like a top. Could’ve be low battery or alternator not cooperating. Ran and charged fine before (who knows). Got her first bath in who knows how long by far not the best but got all the junk off. Progress is progress.

IMG_5204.png

IMG_5205.png

IMG_5206.png

IMG_7478.png

IMG_7770.png

Well got her all buttoned up. No wonder there was water in the floor board. Under the cowling there was more mess than you can think of. Vacced it up and left it for the pressure washer. She made her maiden voyage down the driveway and back. Battery wouldn’t handle it and I had to jump it off multiple times. Other than that ran like a top. Could’ve be low battery or alternator not cooperating. Ran and charged fine before (who knows). Got her first bath in who knows how long by far not the best but got all the junk off. Progress is progress.

View attachment 3357259

View attachment 3357260

View attachment 3357261

View attachment 3357262

View attachment 3357263

IMG_4414.png

IMG_7326.png

Anybody have any idea why my drivers side turn signal stays on even when car is off. Nothing works on the passenger side. Left turn signal stays on the dash but only flashes when activated on the steering wheel. Nothing flashed (even hazards) before I replaced the flasher relay. So now it flashes but it won’t turn off and the passenger side won’t come on.

IMG_3595.png

IMG_5215.jpeg

IMG_5213.jpeg

Little update. Got the new alternator in and she’s charging again. Installed a new taillight relay to try and fix my stagnant always on light. One I did the tailight converter caught fire. Any idea why that would happen? What should I replace it with. Thank you

IMG_5297.jpeg

IMG_5298.jpeg

IMG_5302.jpeg

IMG_5306.jpeg

IMG_5307.jpeg

Little update. Got the new alternator in and she’s charging again. Installed a new taillight relay to try and fix my stagnant always on light. One I did the tailight converter caught fire. Any idea why that would happen? What should I replace it with. Thank you

View attachment 3368057

View attachment 3368058

View attachment 3368059

View attachment 3368060

View attachment 3368061
Those original converters are known to go up in smoke. Glad it didn't get anything else.

Get a new one from etrailer or just plug it into itself and not have a trailer harness.

Long time no post in this thread. I was looking at some more cosmetic things as the old girl is still under way to baseline. Has anyone tried these? I’d like a full bumper and spare tire/swing out rig but seems pretty expensive.

Well long time no post just wanted to give a little update. Basically all baseline items are complete down to the heater hoses, power steering pump rebuild, oil pan gasket, and side cover gasket (clean engine bay). First chance to run it on the road (with no interior or brake/ signal lights) and y’all were not joking about the lack of power but she will definitely do. Really excited for the process and everyone’s continued help. What are y’all’s thoughts on cleaning hard vacuum lines with non chlorinated brake cleaner? I’ve got the necessary silicone hoses to replace just want to make sure the passages are clean. Also planning on using carb cleaner brushes.

IMG_5791.jpeg

Last edited:
Just wanted to bump this a bit and get some insight if carb cleaner is on for vacuum hard lines.

“What are y’all’s thoughts on cleaning hard vacuum lines with non chlorinated brake cleaner? I’ve got the necessary silicone hoses to replace just want to make sure the passages are clean. Also planning on using carb cleaner brushes.”

Just wanted to bump this a bit and get some insight if carb cleaner is on for vacuum hard lines.

“What are y’all’s thoughts on cleaning hard vacuum lines with non chlorinated brake cleaner? I’ve got the necessary silicone hoses to replace just want to make sure the passages are clean. Also planning on using carb cleaner brushes.”
Carb cleaner, yes. Brake cleaner, no.

The brake cleaner won't cut the fuel and oil residue like carb cleaner will.

Again, don't get it on the paint or any plastic.

Whelp going off the recommend procedure of using carb cleaner from @BILT4ME the vacuum lines are now all silicone and cleared with carb brushes. I wouldn’t say she’s running smoother because she actually has been running extremely well. Good for the longevity and preventative maintenance for sure. One more step in the right direction. Thanks all

IMG_5806.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom