Resolved no fuel, no spark I think (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hammer45

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Mudders. I have had an intermittent no start and intermittent sudden dying for the last few months. Runs beautiful and idles perfect when running but suddenly and completely quits with no spark and no fuel. When trying to start during these episodes it sounds like the battery is straining. Battery came with the vehicle but I would charge it and it would seem to hold a charge. Long story, sorry. I reviewed the dozens of no fuel/no spark threads all the way back to like 2007 and felt ready to tackle this today. I bought new fusible link wires and had planned on deleting the connectors just to avoid the multiple sites of failure to conduct properly. I replaced the battery today and cleaned up the one ground by the battery tray and it has done great all day for like the last 3 hours Turning it off and on and pretty much constant driving. This was never the case as it would die after just a few minutes previously. I doubt changing the battery made this miraculous cure and suspect the problem was in the fusible links or elsewhere downstream that the likely higher volt/amperage is overcoming currently.

So the question, do I go ahead and delete the connectors by the battery and crimp and solder the fusible link wire into place? I was planning on a bus bar as well for the smaller wires. Hard to decide when all is going well. I appreciate the feedback. Included some gratuitous images for your help! Darren

Sorry. 89 fj62. Posted pics but they didn’t go and had to repost. Duh. D

You’ve been around things for a long time. What are your thoughts?and are you going to mason this week? I work 24 hrs on friday so I probably won’t get to.
DDAF647A-66D6-4278-8377-9E63B9B2088C.jpeg
E8C8B49C-1725-4E07-B60E-D924AD78B774.jpeg
CFDA73BD-A455-4CFA-8BAA-F53F65921DBB.jpeg
676D2947-BD1A-4C65-8F37-796C8BF8ADF2.jpeg

Last edited:
Got my answer. Drove it 4 hours yesterday. Turned it off and on a dozen times. No problem. Got in it this morning. No spark/no fuel. Fusible link connector delete today…

Amen. Kinda funny that on the bright side, when it’s broken, I have a chance to find the problem. When it’s working perfect, it’s almost impossible to find the cause of the intermittent problem. Life challenges

I would also check if the efi relay is firmly grounded on the passengers fender, in between the air cleaner mounting brackets. Mine was loose.

Hey Mudders. I have had an intermittent no start and intermittent sudden dying for the last few months. Runs beautiful and idles perfect when running but suddenly and completely quits with no spark and no fuel. When trying to start during these episodes it sounds like the battery is straining. Battery came with the vehicle but I would charge it and it would seem to hold a charge. Long story, sorry. I reviewed the dozens of no fuel/no spark threads all the way back to like 2007 and felt ready to tackle this today. I bought new fusible link wires and had planned on deleting the connectors just to avoid the multiple sites of failure to conduct properly. I replaced the battery today and cleaned up the one ground by the battery tray and it has done great all day for like the last 3 hours Turning it off and on and pretty much constant driving. This was never the case as it would die after just a few minutes previously. I doubt changing the battery made this miraculous cure and suspect the problem was in the fusible links or elsewhere downstream that the likely higher volt/amperage is overcoming currently.

So the question, do I go ahead and delete the connectors by the battery and crimp and solder the fusible link wire into place? I was planning on a bus bar as well for the smaller wires. Hard to decide when all is going well. I appreciate the feedback. Included some gratuitous images for your help! Darren

THIS IS THE WAY ...........

I would also check if the efi relay is firmly grounded on the passengers fender, in between the air cleaner mounting brackets. Mine was loose.
Good tip. I had to mess with it recently to install the Susquehanna hella headlight relays and cables.

No disrespect to Matt but I think I’ll just crimp and solder the fusible link wires to each wire to avoid the spade connectors.

Wrong I was. Only way I can get the truck to run is with a jumper on the large wires at the EFI relay. No check engine light without it jumped but starts and runs great with the jumper in. The battery drains down to 2 volts if I leave the jumper on with the battery connected. Uh twice…. Once I finish welding this coastal off-road high clearance rear bumper kit together, I’ll get back on this. Seems like I recall the circuit opening relay was a bit corroded….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom