Reserected FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.overalndwerks.com.com
After 5 months of work on a doner FJ60 its running. Engine and drivetrain pulled out of our wrecked '85 and put back togeather in a '87. A couple of rattles left but running.
_A312137.JPG
IMG_0268.jpg

Haha Clint we were just talking about a 6BT in a 60 on Friday.

CumminsCruiser,

What transmission are you running?

Very nice !!!!!

NV4500 5 speed, everything else is FJ60.

Any shots of how the NV4500 is mounted or what it took to get it bolted up to the chassis? Interior shot of how the shifter works out in the cab?

Would it have been possible to do an H55?

I've been leaning on the fence about buying up a wrecked Dodge with the 6BT...someday I'll take the jump.

After 5 months of work on a doner FJ60 its running. Engine and drivetrain pulled out of our wrecked '85 and put back togeather in a '87. A couple of rattles left but running.

how are you able to get that to pass california smog. i asked about a diesel conversion here in nevada and was told that i could not use a engine that was rated for heavy duty use . as long as the engine was rated as light duty i would be ok

FJ60

I've been driving the old one for 15 +/- years, I love it. So after the wreck I just had to build another. Initially I just had to take it to the Referee station and it passed becouse the engine came out of a newer Calif. smogged vehicle. Shifter comes out of the stock hole.

I'm not sure about the heavy duty vs light duty, but I would argue that the drive train in an FJ60 is almost as heavy as 3/4 ton truck.
P5311506.jpg

Any chance you have a build thread on this rig? Specifically interested in:
Motor mount mods
Trans to T-Case adaptor
Electronics mods
Fuel system mods
Cooling system mods

Thanks, beautiful rig.[/QUOTE

X2!! I was under the impression the Cummings 6 would not fit, and why all I read about is the 4th conversion. Awesome!

how are you able to get that to pass california smog. i asked about a diesel conversion here in nevada and was told that i could not use a engine that was rated for heavy duty use . as long as the engine was rated as light duty i would be ok

They put them in 3/4 ton trucks. I wonder if that would be enough to get a pass.

They put them in 3/4 ton trucks. I wonder if that would be enough to get a pass.

I would assume so, since a 3/4 ton truck is not "Heavy Duty". And even then, any regular pickup is still considered "Light Duty", we're not talking a Peterbuilt here.

cumminscruiser, that is a very much awesome rig!

I'll be helping Cliff when he does his conversion, so I'd be curious if you had a build thread as well. :cheers:

The cummins puts out some crazy torque...I know the NV4500 can hang with that, but what about the TC and differentials? I do think there is a big difference between a Cummins 6BT that goes in 2500 / 3500 series trucks and the drivelines there...compared to the land cruiser FJ60. I guess you'll find the weak link downstream of the transmission. I think its a cool swap but wonder about the rest of the driveline.

Please post up more info...like your cooling solution, how much lift ivolved to clear engine, body lift required? etc...

The cummins puts out some crazy torque...I know the NV4500 can hang with that, but what about the TC and differentials? I do think there is a big difference between a Cummins 6BT that goes in 2500 / 3500 series trucks and the drivelines there...compared to the land cruiser FJ60. I guess you'll find the weak link downstream of the transmission. I think its a cool swap but wonder about the rest of the driveline.

Please post up more info...like your cooling solution, how much lift ivolved to clear engine, body lift required? etc...

I'm curious about some of this too. I've heard a SOA is a minimum to get the oil pan to clear the axle however I have never seen the NV4500 throw the shifter through the stock shifter hole. To keep me SUA I would be willing to modify the oil pan myself. What did you come up wtih cumminscruiser?

I am also interested in how this fits/ how well the LC drivetrain holds up to all of the torque of a cummins diesel. I was planning on putting a 4bt in mine, but I came across a 6bt at a great price. If you have a buildup thread that would be awesome.

subscribed.

Judging by the first pic, I would say SOA is required, along with some bump stops. The diff looks like it's about an inch from the oil pan, and that passenger side tire doesn't look fully tucked yet.

Cumminscruiser

The transfer case for the first 10 years was the stock FJ60, I did replace it a couple of years ago with a FJ62 tcase, it has larger parts, gears, shafts etc. Front and rear axle FJ60. The cruiser has to be sprung over for the oil pan to clear, the axle does not hit the oil pan becouse you have to put another leaf or two in the spring pack for the extra weight of the engine and that limits the articulation. This is our everyday driver and we take it off road as well, I have front and rear sway bars to smooth out the freeway curves on winding mountain roads. I don't take it on trails like Sledghammer, that's for the truggies. This one is built for the long trips and still capable of trails like the Rubicon. BTY I get 25 mpg.

Were building another one right now, so I'll post some pictures this week.

Cumminscruiser

Any chance you have a build thread on this rig? Specifically interested in:
Motor mount mods: 2000 dodge cummins engine mounts
Trans to T-Case adaptor: Advanced Adapters
Electronics mods: None
Fuel system mods: Drain the gas and fill with diesel
Cooling system mods: None stock FJ60 rad. move the botton port and add two Mercedes cooling fans.

Thanks, beautiful rig. It is a Landcruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom