reproduction 45 tailgate hinges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would be interested in a set as well.
Ok it looks like after one day people are interested enough to move
forward. Monday I will go over and visit the metal manufacturer that can lazer cut and bend this stuff and make it like NOS. After that get a cost analysis along with the planning and get back to you guys. I will need 2 sets myself. The more you run the cheaper it gets to a point. I am thinking I will need 10 sets to make it work.
Skip

Skip, there are early and late style hinges , the change came when Toyota went from a 3 hinge to 4 hinge tailgate .Are you doing both or just the early 3 hinge?

Skip, there are early and late style hinges , the change came when Toyota went from a 3 hinge to 4 hinge tailgate .Are you doing both or just the early 3 hinge?
I am doing the 3 hung as that is what I have, to start off with. What is the difference in the specks if you know

Still in process, should have the prototype next week to refine and maybe put together for a test run will keep the information rolling as it happens.

I'll take a set.

following would be interested.

Checked with my source this week and it is progressing slow pieces are cut out for first run and adjustments are being made for bending of the sides. Closer but still not there hopefully by the end of this week or next. I will be gone on vacation next so when I return hope to have something.
Any updates on the tailgate hinges?

Any updates on the tailgate hinges?
Yes there is, I got back the prototype of parts and it looks good. The problem is I have the Two projects I am workin on now I have demands leaning towards then them. I think you pep’s will be happy with what I have for your projects. Be patient I will need 2 sets for mine. I am thinking I will offer them in 10 set bundles so people can make there requests. Still not sure how many will commit to the offer, I guess it will come down to when they are available. Next is to build a jig for set up and final assembly. Stay tuned.

Yes there is, I got back the prototype of parts and it looks good. The problem is I have the Two projects I am workin on now I have demands leaning towards then them. I think you pep’s will be happy with what I have for your projects. Be patient I will need 2 sets for mine. I am thinking I will offer them in 10 set bundles so people can make there requests. Still not sure how many will commit to the offer, I guess it will come down to when they are available. Next is to build a jig for set up and final assembly. Stay tuned.

Had a little in between time with other projects so I pulled out the pieces to do some preliminary set up up now I need to start building a fixture so they are all the same and have good fitment.
9CB7BCDF-5249-46C1-AAF5-2C22E7ACD16F.jpeg
2C70DDB6-FDD9-45F2-B320-1EA496388391.jpeg

Worked / planed this afternoon trying to come up with a good solution for the attachment rod to attach the lower with the upper hing half. I guess I am a bit annal and want it to be nice. I have some ideas to look at and will be moving in that direction with the help of my neighbor who is a machinist. He always comes up with great ideas to get me through the tough spots. If you noticed I have chosen a special hinge piece to weld the top part of the hinge that attaches to the tail gate. I will continue to work on this in my spare time and keep those interested in the loop. The next and final part will be to engineer a fixture so I can make them all the same and fit perfect. I am taking the dementions off of Owl-Teq new manufactured parts and that is in my opinion as close to factory as one can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom