Replacing Mark Levinson Amp on 2001 LX470 without Navigation. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I very recently bought a 2001 LX470 with 175k miles for 7500, knowing that the amp was not working.

I want to replace the Head Unit at some point, but I should really wait if I have to drop $475 to repair my Mark Levinson amp.

Some head units come with built in amps, could I use those with the stock ML speakers?

If I can use an aftermarket amp, how do I wire that up?

There are a couple of wiring guides for the radio, will it look the same under the passenger seat to put into an after market amp?

If I'm putting in an Aftermarket Head Unit and Amp should I just run my own wires?

I have not seen any threads where people have replaced the AMP without replacing speakers, nor have I seen any threads about bypassing the amp. If I missed one, I'm sorry, and please point me in the right direction.

I think the ML speakers are 2 ohm and any aftermarket head unit is likely an 8 ohm system, so I don't think the speakers will work with an aftermarket head unit.

When I did an upgrade, I put in a new head unit, amp, wires, and speakers... kind of a big project.

Look for my thread regarding my everyday/cheap 01 LX. Just went through replacing the HU with aftermarket. When done, I found another all too common problem with blown rear speakers.

It has been mentioned that the speakers are 2 ohm - but actually it may be actually that the "components" are 2ohm each and wired to the amp at 4ohm. There's been a lot of talk of the ohm, but none of what they are wired as.

I removed the amp, ran wiring from new HU to the speaker wiring at the amp connectors. Stock front speakers, aftermarket rear, no issues.

I very recently bought a 2001 LX470 with 175k miles for 7500, knowing that the amp was not working.

I want to replace the Head Unit at some point, but I should really wait if I have to drop $475 to repair my Mark Levinson amp.

Some head units come with built in amps, could I use those with the stock ML speakers?

If I can use an aftermarket amp, how do I wire that up?

There are a couple of wiring guides for the radio, will it look the same under the passenger seat to put into an after market amp?

If I'm putting in an Aftermarket Head Unit and Amp should I just run my own wires?

I have not seen any threads where people have replaced the AMP without replacing speakers, nor have I seen any threads about bypassing the amp. If I missed one, I'm sorry, and please point me in the right direction.
Did you ever find a solution to this? My 2001 LX470 has a bad amp. Everything else is still working....the amp actually comes on occasionally, but I can tell its dying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom