Replacing Knock Sensor Circuit 1 in 97 LX450 With Video! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dariengear.com
Hey guys; i know this topic has been beat to death already, but i thought maybe a video could help people in the process of replacing the KS#1 for those who have the P0325 code.

Here is a short step by step and i also made a video, which is here.

Tools Needed
Ratchet
Various Extensions
Universal Swivel Joint
6-point 27mm socket
12mm socket
Needle nose pliers or trim removal tool

Disconnect The Connector
Step number one is to disconnect the electrical connector at the back of the knock sensor. This is done by pressing the tab at the back of the connector, and pulling straight back. If you have never done this before and you have the original knock sensor, it is very likely that the connector could break so be careful!

Below is a picture of what the electrical connector looks like once removed.

Remove Inner Fender Liner
Step two is to open up the wheel well. These trucks came with inner fender liners that protect the engine bay from mud and dirt. These liners are attached with simple push pins. You can remove these pins by sliding a thin set of pliers behind them, and pulling firmly as close as possible to the pins themselves.

Remember you will reuse these when placing the liners back on; so don't loose them! Here is an image of what the wheel well looks like with the liner folded back; the mounting holes are marked. The other image shows how i removed the push pins.

Remove Dipstick Bolt
In order for the long extension, universal swivel joint, and socket to fit through the hole, the engine oil dipstick should be moved. This will also help to prevent damaging it.

The only thing you need to do to successfully move the dipstick out of the way is to remove one 12mm bolt, as shown in the image below.

Break Knock Sensor Loose
Once you have all that clearance, what you need to do is arm yourself with a hefty amount of extensions for your ratchet, the universal joint, and the 27mm socket.

You will feed the socket and extensions through the whole opened up by the removal of the fender liner, being particularly careful of not catching any of the close by hoses. After the socket is near to the knock sensor, go to the engine bay and use your hand to route the socket onto the knock sensor. Make sure you removed the electrical connector first!

Install New Sensor
The installation of the new knock sensor is the reverse of the process laid out here. The only difference is that now you have to be extremely careful not to break the electrical connector of the new knock sensor with your socket.

Hope that helps other single :banana: mechanics like me get this done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom