Replacing Headlights assemblies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jan 12, 2019
Threads
1
Messages
4
Location
18954
When I bought my 1999 LX I made a mistake of asking my mechanic to remove the original ballasts and bulbs and replace them with LEDs. It's a long story, my fault. Since then the headlights are basically non-functional. They don't produce enough light to make a difference at night. 90% of light comes from my fog lights. AI says the likely reason is the LED bulbs are not long enough, don't reach the lens, so the light is lost. I am now thinking of replacing the headlight assemblies with of of these:


Has anybody done this? Any suggestions or reviews?
 
Skip the AI, you've Mud.
I would not go with those 3rd party assemblies, you will be right back in the same situation you are in today, but then you will have no good option but to start over.

Morimoto makes an excellent set of replacement options for the LX, and you do not need to step all the way up to swapping the projectors to get a great improvement. You can just install new ballasts, harness and lamps without needing to replace the assemblies and have far better lighting than came from the factory. The wiring changes are minimal and plug into the factory harness positions.

Here's a thread showing the various options and outcomes, LX Headlight Upgrade Database - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx-headlight-upgrade-database.962081/

Here's a list of exactly what I purchased for my 06, including the projector lens replacements, but you don't have to go that far. You can just drop the H1 HID lamps into the factory fixtures, using the morimoto ballasts and wiring and it works just fine. Sure the projectors are an upgrade but they are sitting on the shelf since this was enough for me.
1786013902083.webp
 
Note that reflectors are matched to headlight types. If you change away from oem, you will need new reflecttive housing. see this thread:


I doubt the existing lights you have now are oem as oem lights don't have ballasts (that I know of).

best bet, stick with oem (see above refereced post).
 
Note that reflectors are matched to headlight types. If you change away from oem, you will need new reflecttive housing. see this thread:


I doubt the existing lights you have now are oem as oem lights don't have ballasts (that I know of).

best bet, stick with oem (see above refereced post).
That is a very interesting development. Theoretically, the reflective housing I have is not compatible with the regular H1 bulb? LED or otherwise? Because the assemblies I have don't feel like glass. More research to do. Thank you.
 
Back
Top Bottom