Replacing Driver's Side Lock

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by greytandy, Aug 17, 2006.

1. greytandy

greytandy

Media:
    Albums:
    Tried to replace the driver's side lock today, but ended up getting deeper and deeper into removing things that I backed off. The paddle comes off and exposes some holes, but they appear too uncomfortably small to try to wedge the cotter-like pin that holds the lock in place. I'm sure it'll end up in the bottom of the door. Is there any easy trick I'm missing? I can't believe I have to disassemble the whole door to put the stupid lock in. Any advice appreciated.

2. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    advice, put it back together the same way you took it apart

i remember taking mine out seemed like the hardest thing was getting the tab that holds it on back in

3. greytandy

greytandy

Media:
    Albums:
    So, did you take the whole door apart or did you install the lock using just the holes behind the paddle?

4. Texx

Texx

It's easier by far to take th whole door apart. Not really a big deal, pull the door panel, exterior handle, and you're golden...

5. Texx

Texx

Oh yeah, it's alot easier if you remove the window track on the latch side, too.

6. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    just take the door panel off then pop off the clip that holds the lock....super easy

7. greytandy

greytandy

Media:
    Albums:
    I removed all screws except for two near the bottom that are very close together (and both painted over :mad:). I didn't remove the window crank - guess I should've done that. How does the door actually open? Does it slide out a certain way? Thanks for your patience. The rear hatch lock was a helluva lot easier to replace!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.