Replacement stock control arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning, we’ve come to the end of the road so to speak with the upper control arms on our 03 LX470. The quick question is: has anyone used and care to comment on Moog/Delphi/AcDelco upper control arms? Our LX is being reduced to our 3rd, a backup rig in affect, and I’m not into paying for OE control arms at the moment. Thanks fellas!

I looked at Febest arms when I needed to do ball joints and decided that they're just too cheap to feel comfortable with. Like cheap enough that you'd be replacing them again in a short time and killing any "savings" you got by going cheap.

I looked at Febest arms when I needed to do ball joints and decided that they're just too cheap to feel comfortable with. Like cheap enough that you'd be replacing them again in a short time and killing any "savings" you got by going cheap.
One example of non-OEM: I used A/M fog lights and man the lens turned foggy and the rear rubber weather seal disintegrated in few months! Just wasted $50 for nothing!

If it’s third vehicle and you have access to an well priced mechanic maybe consider having the ball joints replaced with 555’s and cruiser outfitters bushing kits. That could end up being labor intensive though.

Also I saw that these are 400$ For the pair and specs say they work for stock height vehicle as well

Why do you need new upper control arms? The ball joints and bushings can replaced on the stock arms.

I used Febest swaybar link bushings on my Cruiser and they were completely shot in 4 months. I've used Moog ball joints on a J**p and they were shot in less than 1 year.

Same, why not get the superpro bush kit and 555bjs? This is the avenue I plan on taking.

If it’s third vehicle and you have access to an well priced mechanic maybe consider having the ball joints replaced with 555’s and cruiser outfitters bushing kits. That could end up being labor intensive though.

Also I saw that these are 400$ For the pair and specs say they work for stock height vehicle as well

Thanks, glad you noticed that in the verbage! One of my possible prerequisites was to install a set that’d work with a stock setup but be up to a torsion bar level in the future. I saw those but neglected to get far enough into the details to realize I could use them! Thanks!

I replaced my front upper control arms with OEM recently and it was one of the best repairs I’ve done. The front suspension is tight and feels brand new again. Well worth it in my book.

I’ll offer my 2 cents,

I tried the 555 ball joint replacement once and they lasted about 1.5 years and I don’t offroad. It was an expensive job to do once and much worse to do twice.

My advice is to get oem control arms from somewhere like amayama and you’ll have front end peace of mind for years!

For a 3rd vehicle that sees only street duty, I wouldn’t be afraid to use Mevotec arms- upper, lower or rear. I’ve used them on other trucks with good result. Their bushings are a close match to OEM. It’s not OEM but it’s a decent quality replacement.

Can also be found on RockAuto

For a 3rd vehicle that sees only street duty, I wouldn’t be afraid to use Mevotec arms- upper, lower or rear. I’ve used them on other trucks with good result. Their bushings are a close match to OEM. It’s not OEM but it’s a decent quality replacement.

Can also be found on RockAuto
Appreciate the advise!

I’ll offer my 2 cents,

I tried the 555 ball joint replacement once and they lasted about 1.5 years and I don’t offroad. It was an expensive job to do once and much worse to do twice.

My advice is to get oem control arms from somewhere like amayama and you’ll have front end peace of mind for years!

I know 555 parts since 1990. I once installed a set of 555 ball joints into a Corolla KE74. Few months later, all were shot.

When I did the uppers and lowers in the LC, I stick to OEM only. Done and project close, now to other things.

Thanks everyone who replied, I appreciate all the advise and perspectives. I was going to go with the Nitros, but was on the edge with the Mevotecs anyway; so I just pulled the trigger on a left and right upper even though we just needed to do just a drivers side. I’ll have a better seat of the pants now that the 100 will be under my watchful eye. We’ve moved on to a low mile L322 that I‘m baselining the maintenance on as a daily for my lady. I may pick away and do a few more things to the LX, torsion bars maybe to level it. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom