Replace exterior door handle without disassembling door? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My passenger side exterior door handle broke and I'm trying to replace it. After removing the door card (I couldn't figure out how to take the whole thing off, so just pulled up the back part) I see the two bolts holding the handle on and one connecting it to the latch linkage, but I can't figure out how to get a wrench on them. They're blocked by the interior handle/lock linkages and window channel. Is there any way to replace the handle without completely disassembling the door?

very carefully remove the door card, crank handle and pull handle, then plastic. all in front of you then.. …...fsm 30 .00to 45 .00$ AMERICAN, is your friend.that and common sense.

I can't remember as it has been a long time, but either a ratchet wrench or 1/4"drive set should work
10mm IIRCC

It's a little frustrating (as you said) because the linkage rods are in the way. Use small box end wrenches (ignition wrenches) if needed to get to the nuts. If you find this frustrating, work on a Super Duty Ford power lock system for a while, and your Toyota will look like the easiest job you ever tackled. While you're in the door, pour some old oil in the bottom as rustproofing, check the window runs and door clips for wear/damage, and lube the window regulator gears. There are good reasons to spend some time inside your doors.

It's a little frustrating (as you said) because the linkage rods are in the way. Use small box end wrenches (ignition wrenches) if needed to get to the nuts. If you find this frustrating, work on a Super Duty Ford power lock system for a while, and your Toyota will look like the easiest job you ever tackled. While you're in the door, pour some old oil in the bottom as rustproofing, check the window runs and door clips for wear/damage, and lube the window regulator gears. There are good reasons to spend some time inside your doors.

Before I would pour oil inside the door I would rinse the bottom of and dirt and be sure all the drain on the bottom clear. The reason the doors rust along the bottom is plugged drains and dirt that holds moisture. In AZ just need to park the vehicle in the sun and the inside of the doors will dry with the door cards off. A hair dryer would help do the same thing. Good seals around the glass will help keep dirt and salt out of the inside.

Good point - Use a screwdriver to loosen the gunk, and then take a shop vac and suck out all the window channel fuzz and dirt/dust that has settled into the bottom of the doors. After that, spray in some Lithium aerosol grease, or squirt some oil in, and let the doors drip on a piece of newspaper.

Good point - Use a screwdriver to loosen the gunk, and then take a shop vac and suck out all the window channel fuzz and dirt/dust that has settled into the bottom of the doors. After that, spray in some Lithium aerosol grease, or squirt some oil in, and let the doors drip on a piece of newspaper.

Lucky I don't have use any type of coating where I am in AZ. Clean and dry does the trick.

My passenger side exterior door handle broke and I'm trying to replace it. After removing the door card (I couldn't figure out how to take the whole thing off, so just pulled up the back part) I see the two bolts holding the handle on and one connecting it to the latch linkage, but I can't figure out how to get a wrench on them. They're blocked by the interior handle/lock linkages and window channel. Is there any way to replace the handle without completely disassembling the door?
I found easiest way to remove door card. After removing window crank by pushing the card away from you, you can access the
snap ring that holds the crank from behind and push it off with a needle nose or a screwdriver and the crank can be removed.
Then the two fat door pull screws and finally the door card comes off easily by slipping a one inch putty knife between the card and the door and slide it sideways until you find a plastic anchor. twist the putty knife carefully and the anchor will slide/pop out of the door undamaged. Work your way around with the putty knife until all the anchors are free. I've done a door handle but it's been a while and I would need to see it again to remember but it can be done. Oh yeah, the interior door latch handle. Remove the tiny phillips screw behind the handle and then the black cup comes out. not easily but it does come out by working it back and forth while the handle is pulled out. Hope I didn't make it worse. . .

Ok, I'm gonna try again with the whole door card off. Do you guys replace the plastic sheet between the door and the card or just forget it? Mine's all torn up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom