Repair Stihl Chainsaw Oil Pump (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok it's oiling fine now. 1 more issue I was unable to find a thread on.

The chainsaw won't cut straight. It curves to the left as I cut.

I sharpened the chain evenly and do not have this problem normally.

I have read that this can be because the underside of the chain that is in contact with the bar is worn unevenly, or the bar itself is worn unevenly.

Can it be anything else or do I need a new chain/bar?

The most common cause is one side of the chain is not as sharp as the other. Lenght of cutter tooth does matter but not that much if both the left hand and right hand cutters are equally sharp.

If you have the stock or OEM Guide Bar, Flip your guide bar upside down and see if it still cuts to one side. The rails on the guide bar can wear uneven. This works on symmetrical guide bars. The cheap "Banana nose" bars cannot be flipped.

Thanks.

I sharpened both sides and flipped the guide bar but it still cuts at an angle.

Could it be that I did not tighten the clutch sufficiently after cleaning the oil pump, or that it is somehow now crooked? It all went back together without any problem and looks fine.

One other thing. I did hit a bit of metal with the saw before this started happening.

One other thing. I did hit a bit of metal with the saw before this started happening.

I think you figured it out. Try a new chain.

confused

My 028 oiler stopped working. I tore it apart and made sure I had no blockages. Everything looked fine to me. After I put everything back together, minus the bar and chain. I ran it for a few minutes and no oil would pump. Once I shut it off, some oil, maybe 0.2 oz, finally spewed out. I did this 3 times always the same result. I'm confused.

i have my 028 apart. The worm gear in the oiler is grinded down in 1 spot. the other 2 gears are perfect.
Can i replace the worm gear? How do it get the gear out of the pump?

Hello there. This message is in response to a post I saw from D'Animal.

I have a Stihl 029 and I read your troubleshooting(and pictures) about the chain oiler not working. Background. I have only used this saw once(used 3 times total). It worked well the first time and then i hit something and had to get a new chain(not Stihl). I also picked up chain oil(also not Stihl). I have zero oil coming out of the whole. I did the normal stuff and checked to make sure there is no dirt in the whole on on the filter. Here is my question. Would different oil and chain cause no oil to come out? The more likely culprit is probably that gear that you mentioned. What would cause this sprocket not to work after only 3 total times being used? Could it be that wire that u mentioned. I will take it apart this weekend and follow up with you.

Thanks again for your help.

Jared

Last edited:
If the oiler is working, it will pump oil regardless of the lable on the bottle.
Any thoughts on why no oil is coming out? Could the clog be way down deep in there.
Thanks for the reply earlier. I hope its just the gear. Hopefully my local dealership will have it.
Just sucks. Only used 3 times and not working. Oh well.
Thanks again. Jared

Help

D'animal, please check my post to the thread from 2008. (Diagram of 028)
I posted some pictures of my Stihl 029. Looks like a pink plastic piece that has mushroomed. Oiler not working. I wanted to see if you thought this was the problem. Do you have any pictures of model 029. Thanks, Jared

What about the 029 as far as baroiling(or lack there of)? it doesn't look like the others. I got bar oil coming out with the bar off of the saw, but when the bar is on and tightened down it doesn't seem to lube the chain. Just got a new bar & chain so I don't want to ruin them.

Is there supposed to be the metal shield(the one between the bar and the body of the saw) in there on this model, but would that keep it from oiling? like in this pic:
attachment.php

EDIT: I guess I should take it apart and see if that gear is stripped first, but I got a little ancy. Oh and this is a GREAT FORUM lots of info and pictures, the way I understand & learn best! Learning the hard way(ie:doing it wrong) is no fun.

I am having the same issue on my 026. I am getting oil through the oiler, but no oil on the bar. I have a lot of oil dripping out of the bottom of the saw and on the inside of the bar cover plate, but nothing on the bar. Have I lost a part somewhere when I was cleaning it preseason or something?

I am having the same issue on my 026. I am getting oil through the oiler, but no oil on the bar. I have a lot of oil dripping out of the bottom of the saw and on the inside of the bar cover plate, but nothing on the bar. Have I lost a part somewhere when I was cleaning it preseason or something?

Make sure the bar oil hole is clean and not clogged up.

Well, the hole is clean for the oil. I even put on a different bar to see if that would help matters, and it did not. I am just getting oil all over the inside of the sprocket housing. There is more oil dripping out of the bottom of my saw than there was out of the freakin gulf....no of it is making it to the bar...

I even started with removing the chain plate again, and cleaning everything off of the saw and off of that plate, then reinstalled it. I did the same with the chain drive cover on the other side. Still nothing. Just oil all over the inside...

Stihl parts/service diagrams?

Are there any exploded view or service info available on the web for Stihl products? I can't find anything, not even a parts diagram.

Neighbor gave me his old MS191T that hasn't run since summer 2009. It's gunked up, gas stinks. Needs a good cleaning and carb rebuild. But this machine is covered in plastic, and not built at all like the cheap&simple homelite/mcculloch/poulans that I've had before. Just an exploded parts view would be a big help to seeing how to disassemble the major parts.

PM Me you address or send me you e-mail address and I will get you one.

Are there any exploded view or service info available on the web for Stihl products? I can't find anything, not even a parts diagram.

Neighbor gave me his old MS191T that hasn't run since summer 2009. It's gunked up, gas stinks. Needs a good cleaning and carb rebuild. But this machine is covered in plastic, and not built at all like the cheap&simple homelite/mcculloch/poulans that I've had before. Just an exploded parts view would be a big help to seeing how to disassemble the major parts.

finally

Once the cover is off, here is what you are looking at.

Let me know if either gear is broken on yours and I can get you the part number.
animal your the man. can i please have that part number for the gear that goes on top of the clutch cover? i have the same problem with my 028 av super. my "worm gear" is fine like the one in the picture. ive been looking for 7 days now with the wrong parts ordered from my stihl dealer. my clutch cover also says oregon on it like th one in the pic. thanks man. merry christmas.

I didn't forget about you. The OEM STIHL Gear does not fit on an Oregon drum. Oregon does not want to sell just the oiler gear. They want you to buy an entire new sprocket kit.

I called one of my old freinds and he is looking up the Oregon part number in his old books.

animal your the man. can i please have that part number for the gear that goes on top of the clutch cover? i have the same problem with my 028 av super. my "worm gear" is fine like the one in the picture. ive been looking for 7 days now with the wrong parts ordered from my stihl dealer. my clutch cover also says oregon on it like th one in the pic. thanks man. merry christmas.

Oregon # PD-30395

Suggested retail is around $3.00

I didn't forget about you. The OEM STIHL Gear does not fit on an Oregon drum. Oregon does not want to sell just the oiler gear. They want you to buy an entire new sprocket kit.

I called one of my old freinds and he is looking up the Oregon part number in his old books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom