Repair Stihl Chainsaw Oil Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D'Animal, got any tips for keeping the throttle cable attached to the linkage on my FS80(pretty sure that's the model, it's the lowest level 'professional' one they sell with the big handle bars) trimmer? The end keeps popping out of the linkage and I have to spend 10 minutes trying to wrestle it back in. The darn thing is only 3 years old and probably has 20 hours on it max.

Here you go.

I found my FS 4137 series that is that age. The ones that vintage have an eccentic adjustment on the throttle cable just above the carburetor. It takes a T-27 Torx wrench or a screw drive that will fit in the Torx slot. The newer ones have a slot in your throttle grip even after you adjust the eccentric all the way out.
DSCF4361.JPG
DSCF4362.JPG
DSCF4363.JPG

LOL!

This procedure and pictures could be applied to the models 024, 026, MS260, 028, 034, 036, MS360 and 038. They are built pretty much the same.

uh?
what about my 025? :frown::frown::frown: sniffle....

LOL!

Different design.

If you are having a problem I have a few around I can take pictures of and walk you through any procedure. You did your fuel line last year with No Problems but let me know if you want pics of anything else.

:cheers:

thanks all is well so far... largely thanks to you! I'm even sharpening the thing now...

Interestingly, I broke my starting rope last year and put in a long piece of "shoe lace-like" thingy I had around. And it's still holding great... (of course, after I bought something like 5000 yds of the proper thickness rope) :)

D'Animal: Can you help me with a couple of questions? I have an 046M for the big cuts and a Solo 639 for my everyday use.

1. Anything I should keep an eye on on the 046? I've heard some guys say it is a lesser saw than the 044.

2. What should I replace the Solo 639 with in the Stihl line? It has been a great saw (It was $$$$$), but I lent it to my father-in-law (i.e. he took it and called me several days later to tell me he had it) and it now smokes likes crazy (when I got it back it wouldn't start and I dumped about a 1/4 cup of water out of the cylinder).

Thanks, Man.

Your 046 (6.hp) has more Horse Power and a lot more torque than any 044 (5.3hp). I personally use an 046 for 90% of my cutting. Great saws. Don't Cut Air and you will be fine. Cutting air is holding the saw wide open throttle while looking at the log. No Big C.I. saw likes that.

As far as your Solo. They are good saws. Dump the fuel and put fresh fuel in it and get it running ASAP. They take the same 50:1 mix the STIHL does. The smoke was from incorrect fuel mix. The water could have come from it sitting out in the rain, someone washed the saw and did not know what they were doing or they dropped in a creek or stream. You want to get it running ASAP and get the moisture out of the engine. Run it for awhile, cut some wood. If the water has sat in there too long, it will run but the corrosion has alread started on the main bearing, lower rod bearing, wrist pin bearing, and the rings will rust.

I'm waiting for updates on the oil pump on the 028 and the throttle cable on the 4137 series FS80 (we made a 4112 series in the 1970's and early 1980's).

Sorry it's taken me a while, I've had quite the backlog of things to do in the garage and this is at the bottom of the list :frown:

If I could just get the wiring on my mini-truck to cooperate long enough to get the taillights working I'd be set :eek:

Is the oil pump on a 023/025 much different than the 028? I can't seem to figure mine out.

What about the 029 as far as baroiling(or lack there of)? it doesn't look like the others. I got bar oil coming out with the bar off of the saw, but when the bar is on and tightened down it doesn't seem to lube the chain. Just got a new bar & chain so I don't want to ruin them.

Is there supposed to be the metal shield(the one between the bar and the body of the saw) in there on this model, but would that keep it from oiling? like in this pic:
attachment.php

EDIT: I guess I should take it apart and see if that gear is stripped first, but I got a little ancy. Oh and this is a GREAT FORUM lots of info and pictures, the way I understand & learn best! Learning the hard way(ie:doing it wrong) is no fun.

Last edited:
Stihl 031 oiler problems

Is the fix for an 031 similar to the info you provided on the 028? I'm getting oil out of the reservoir, but little to none gets on the bar. Thanks.

D'Animal: It has been a long time since you replied to my thread a/b the 046M and the Solo. Sorry, I lost track of this tread. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the advice.

Good to hear the 046M can take it. It sure cuts like a beast. We had a few big, like 45" diameter, Oaks fall in a storm, and that 046M, with a sharp chain, will go right through them.

The Solo is not quite toast, but it still smokes a lot when you run it at idle or wide open. It also make a lot more noise than it did when my father-in-law "borrowed" it. Any recommendation on a comparable replacement in the Stihl line? Might have to put one on dadinlaw's account. Thanks, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom