Repair Stihl Chainsaw Oil Pump (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found a crack in the impulse hose (the one that runs from the crankcase to the bottom of the carb) last night. I also noticed that when the saw is on it's side, fuel slowly collects on the tank vent. I'll order the impulse hose tonight; is there anything else I should look at or replace while I'm installing the new impulse hose?

I didn't get a chance to use the saw last weekend so I still haven't determined if the rate of oil usage is normal. It did leak a fair bit over the weekend while sitting in the back of the 80.

Roger that! Thanks Dan.

Chainsaw noob question: What does the impulse line do? If I had to guess, I'd say it provides positive pressure to push the air/fuel mix into the carb, but I'd happily accept the real answer too :D

Thanks Dan. I'll be ordering the new parts tonight so I can get this thing up and running.

Whoa, didn't even have to order the parts! I went to my local Stihl Retail Readiness store at lunch and they had everything I needed in stock (impulse line, fuel line, sprocket, air filter, little plastic bumper things). Nice service too!

I ended up tearing the saw down almost completely (I left the block/bearings/crank/piston in place) and now I'm working on getting it all back together. The Stihl repair manual mentions using a special tool to realign the coil in relation to the flywheel. I don't have this tool, so is there any other way to align the coil or do I have to take the saw into the shop to have them do it?

Also, how necessary is a tune with a tachometer if I start messing with the carb adjustments? This is an 026 with both the High and Low screws as well as the idle adjustment screw. I haven't done anything to it yet, but it is a used saw so I'm not sure if it has been adjusted previously.

:cheers:

I have a feeler gauge so I'll set the gap with that tonight.

As always, thanks Dan!

I used a 0.25mm feeler gauge to set the gap. I also drained the red bar oil out of the tank and refilled it with the clear heavy weight oil, and there is a lot less "fling". The saw runs great with the new impulse hose (as well as the new fuel hose, control lever, AV mounts, sprocket, ignition lead, and air filter...) I can't wait to get out and cut something!

Stihl MS290 Oiler

My 2.5 year old 290 is no longer oiling the chain sufficiently. I tried adjusting the flow to max.

I noticed some oil on the bar when I removed it but not enough gets to the chain so it gets hot.

I removed the oiler (looks fine from the outside, inspected the hose (no leaks) and pickup body and they all seem clear and fine. All the channels seem clear.

Any idea what it could be or how to fix it? Seems like I need a new oil pump but it's only 2.5 years old and I only use moderately.

Start here

https://forum.ih8mud.com/workshop-home-improvement/209560-stihl-chainsaw-not-oiling.html

My 2.5 year old 290 is no longer oiling the chain sufficiently. I tried adjusting the flow to max.

I noticed some oil on the bar when I removed it but not enough gets to the chain so it gets hot.

I removed the oiler (looks fine from the outside, inspected the hose (no leaks) and pickup body and they all seem clear and fine. All the channels seem clear.

Any idea what it could be or how to fix it? Seems like I need a new oil pump but it's only 2.5 years old and I only use moderately.

Thanks.

The clutch drum fits over the worm nicely and I am using bar oil from the same container as last year. It's also been nice and warm when this started happening.

I tried it again today. The bar was still dry but I noticed that chain oil was dripping from the bottom of the saw.

One other thing. I filled the oil reservoir 2 days ago. It was much lower today. The saw wouldn't start and I suspected that I had added to much 2 cycle oil to the gas so I drained the tank and refilled it with properly mixed oil and gas. The gas that I drained appeared to contain a great deal of chain oil! I know I didn't mix chain oil with the gas before adding it to the gas tank so either:

1. I accidentally filled the gas tank with the chain oil (I can't imagine I would ever have done that, but will not claim that it is impossible :eek:); or
2. The chain oil is somehow leaking into the gas tank (please tell me that's not possible).

It runs fine with the new gas mixture but the bar is still not getting sufficient bar oil. Any ideas?

I left the oil tank emptly, left the gas tank full, and the levels did not change. Is it possible for the tanks to leak one way but not the other?

Ok, thanks. So there is not a leak between the two.

And it sounds like the oil pump needs to be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom