Rental House/Campground Available for Eclipse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jamesurq

Reefmonkey
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
reefmonkey.com
Hey folks,

Sorry for the off-topic post, but what the hell maybe it's worth it. My dad's in his 70's and into astronomy and has decided that the eclipse (August 21st) will be the last one he'll be alive for. Call it a bucket list thing for him.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a camping spot to go to and wouldnt' you know it? They're all booked solid. Also, Airbnb is pretty sparse.

So i'm looking for someone in Greenville/Anderson/Clemson/Pickens/Easley that has either:

A: Available campsite with electric/water or a huge backyard with enough space for a small camper and tent - think of us as gypsies....
B: A rental home that's available 08/19-08/22 (I will pay of course)
C: Any third suggestion?

Here's the map of the eclipse path USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier

We were planning on either bringing the trailer and tent camping or getting an airbnb and towing the boat down there to pass time.

Thanks for any help. And if this is too far off topic feel free to delete.

yeah - outside of Motel 6 and those type places, it's booked.

I've considered it, but me and my wife, my 3 kids, and my parents in a Motel 6 in Easley, SC sounds like some version of hell I'd rather not visit.

I'm hoping @JToobe has some massive Jocassee lake house he's not using that weekend :)

Don't I wish! I think there are only a few dozen or so homes actually on Lake Jocassee.....the father and uncle of one of oobe's co-founders had one of them but sold it in the last year.
James, might I recommend that you rekindle your long lost friendship with Jim Symmes!! Actually, I believe that Jim has property on the North end of lake Keowee or near it.....we are having lunch next Tuesday and I will ask. I will also see what else I can find. Are you interested in renting a house? Have a friend with one on the South end of Lake Keowee who lives in Atlanta.

Just checked out the link in your thread....had no idea the band for the full eclipse was so narrow......I bet it will be chaos here! Note that Clemson students move in starting on the 18th and we move our daughter in on the 19th....classes start the 21st I believe. I bet a lot of parents/families will be staying over to catch this.

Last edited:
I'd rent a house for sure. Just don't wanna spend $900 a night to someone that's never rented before and are taking advantage of the eclipse.

I'd rent a house for sure. Just don't wanna spend $900 a night to someone that's never rented before and are taking advantage of the eclipse.

How many in your party?

Jamesurq,

Thanks for making me aware of this opportunity. As usual I am the last one in my family to hear this stuff and have just been informed that Clemson is opening the campus to visitors that day:

Clemson is making its scientists, experts and main college campus — which will experience a total solar eclipse at 2:37 p.m. Monday, August 21 — available to the public and the working press leading up to and on the day of the astronomical event.

Thanks for the map link which shows it will go almost directly over Clemson.

Should be an exciting event.

Don

Get something to watch the eclipse now if you don't already. Amazon has plenty of options but they may dry up closer to the date.
I could be wrong, but don't you just need sunglasses to keep you from looking directly at the Sun? No idea what kind... Are folks buying telescopes?

So my dad's chomping at the bit to get a campsite nearby.... Groan...

So my dad's chomping at the bit to get a campsite nearby.... Groan...
Nearby to Clemson? Unfortunately house of my friends at Keowee is taken.....was going to offer to have you stay with us as we will be dropping off our youngest at Clemson on Saturday the 19th and have 3 empty bedrooms but just this weekend family members of ours came out of the woodwork to say they are coming for this event! and it looks like the Taylor B&B is full Just ordered 100 pairs of the special glasses for our employees and those of my wife's!
Having lunch with Jim Symmes tomorrow and will check with him.

Last edited:
Checked the camp sites on the blue ridge parkway?

I'll throw this option. You can come and park the RV beside my shop. I have a hookup and water. It's not glamorous and you would be somewhat in the city. But it would be pretty desolate and for the most part wide open and level for viewing. If it was just for a couple days I wouldn't mind.

Think locations like Sassafras will become too crowded?

Looking for a good spot to watch the peak of the Perseid Meteor Shower on 8/11-13 too. I remember going out to spot a meteor shower as a kid but we were off the bank of the Mississippi River. You couldn't see the sky very well for all the mosquitoes.

Anyone else get Amazon refunds for their eclipse glasses?

Why? Didn't order thru Amazon, went straight to one of the approved sources in TN. Bought 150 for staff and family and I think paid about $1.25 per pair.

Why? Didn't order thru Amazon, went straight to one of the approved sources in TN. Bought 150 for staff and family and I think paid about $1.25 per pair.
Received this message from Amazon.
"Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer. We recommend that you DO NOT use this product to view the sun or the eclipse."

Word is this is common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom