Remove door carpet from HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TuffMudder

Still working on my FJ55!
Threads
I didn't find anything with a forum search regarding removing the carpet covering from the lower doors. Mine have already gotten a mud bath and i'm thinking i should probably get rid of the carpeting on the doors.

Before I start removing it, I'd like to here for people have done this. Mainly if its difficult, If the under surface is good enough to be cleaned up and left bare and if not, what others have used to cover it.

Thanks in advance

Hmmm, well that's discouraging. I'd love to hear for anyone who has done this or even from someone who's seen what's under the carpet. If it's a finished surface that can just be cleaned up after carpet removal or if it's going to need some work after removing the carpet.

Thanks

You might be swimming in new territory here. I’m curious about this as well.

Just get after it and post up what you find. Worst case scenario is that you’re looking for a new door card from the classifieds.

I removed the shag carpet from the bottom of the doors. I will tell you this. Its not fun at all. That piece of carpet was put down with contact cement. I used everything from paint stripper to turpentine to acetone. The amount of elbow grease required is insane. But then again, I am a dumbass that does not know what chemicals to use :hillbilly:

Was it worth it? HELL YEAH!!!

full

For some reason after all that work I decided to go with custom door cards so those were abandoned. Here the new ones:

full

Where'd you get the door cards, and how much if you don't mind me asking?

Where'd you get the door cards, and how much if you don't mind me asking?
the front cards were made using masonite and the rear ones were oem cards that were still in good shape. On top of that I used the green flower foam to shape followed by epoxy to harden. Then covered in cloths and pleathers with varying upholstery batting. Use the old cards as a template and use punches to make the holes for the various clips. You will be surprised how easy it actually is to make new cards.

Wow, that sounds impressive. I doubt i have the vision or patients to recreate door cards that look that good. Where did you get your uncarpeted oem cards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom