REI Coupon and 200 Series builds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I decided to give this mat a try. Looking at the thickness, R-value, packed size & weight, and reviews, we'll see how well it performs.

we added a second Yeti Hopper 24 backpack cooler with one coupon and are debating on what to use my wife’s on. So far this RV mat and this down blanket are on the short list. Thankfully, we are at a point to where we have our gear needs satiated and anything now is luxury... finally. The days of ramen, freezing, and patching worn clothing and worn out gear are hopefully behind us.

We ordered a Yeti 1500X. We're going to use it with one of the Dometic Refrigerators and who knows what else.

we added a second Yeti Hopper 24 backpack cooler with one coupon and are debating on what to use my wife’s on. So far this RV mat and this down blanket are on the short list. Thankfully, we are at a point to where we have our gear needs satiated and anything now is luxury... finally. The days of ramen, freezing, and patching worn clothing and worn out gear are hopefully behind us.

I'm totally there with you. We just did an inventory last night and I can safely say that there is nothing that we "need" 😂. As I looked over all of our gear, I couldn't help but think about the $35 Walmart tent that I carried all over the world for 10 years. While those were great times, I can't help but remember something that @psnyman learned camping as a kid:

“any fool can be uncomfortable”

To that end, I am going to nudge you toward the down blanket 👍

We ordered a Yeti 1500X. We're going to use it with one of the Dometic Refrigerators and who knows what else.

Wow! The 1500 is a beast. Based on our experiences the past year running a Domestic off a 500x, you could probably run a couple of fridges for a few days with that much juice and have plenty to spare.

That's the hope LOL!
Wow! The 1500 is a beast. Based on our experiences the past year running a Domestic off a 500x, you could probably run a couple of fridges for a few days with that much juice and have plenty to spare.
Notice I mentioned "and who knows what else". I was thinking possibly power tools, lighting etc... The 1500X seemed like just the right balance of size & weight.

The cool thing about the X series is that all the inputs and outputs are now regulated saving you the cost and frustration of having to buy additional devices to add on to it. I have an Anderson SB-50 in the cabin with 50A available coming off the start battery so we can charge the thing while we're running. We also have a 2nd battery connected by a Redarc DC-DC charger in case we mess up. :)

We haven't decided on just which Dometic...we think we want the Dometic CFX3 75DZ. Again, seems to us to be the right balance of size & weight.

EDIT: we just ordered the Dometic CFX3 75DZ from Backwoods Overland. Dometic is running a 15 % off sale right now.

Last edited:
I picked up a Benchmade Knife during with the REI coupon

I picked up a Benchmade Knife during with the REI coupon

I went and put a Benchmade 945 in my cart. Then I looked at the dimensions. They looked familiar. I pulled my CRKT Ripple out of my pocket and measured it.
Damn it. Same knife (excepting the axis lock). Back to drawing board.

61xPg+3OP4L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Yeah, the Exped is always out of stock anyways. We have the REI version and it is ok, but we use these now:

Amazon product ASIN B07Z998YRV
They are fantastic, though a little bulky. They are at least as comfortable as our Exped and way cheaper than the Duo. Right now there is a $30 coupon on Amazon which makes them $169.

We have been using ours for about a year and a half and they have been great. We are pretty rough on our gear too. Our dog walks all over them and they get used on the ground regularly and we have not had any leaks. I initially bought one to try out thinking that I could return it if we didn't like it, but we were so impressed that we bought another one and replaced out REI doubles. So now we carry two of these. They are super insulated and amazingly comfortable. We use a small 12v air pump to inflate and deflate them.

Again, a little bulkier than the exped when rolled up, but not much and for the cost, it is totally worth it.

After sleeping on this pad that I impulse bought a couple days before departing on a 10 day trip... It's everything you said it was! I think it single handedly made the trip for my wife as she's wasn't looking forward to sleeping on the pull out couch in the camper (kids stole the camper bedroom). It's so comfortable to sleep on. Even if it's sitting on uneven and soft couch cushions, it's made for a nice supportive and comfortable bed.

I'm going to also use this in my forthcoming GFC Superlite RTT.

See, you paid back the favor already. Thanks for the easy button!

After sleeping on this pad that I impulse bought a couple days before departing on a 10 day trip... It's everything you said it was! I think it single handedly made the trip for my wife as she's wasn't looking forward to sleeping on the pull out couch in the camper (kids stole the camper bedroom). It's so comfortable to sleep on. Even if it's sitting on uneven and soft couch cushions, it's made for a nice supportive and comfortable bed.

I'm going to also use this in my forthcoming GFC Superlite RTT.

See, you paid back the favor already. Thanks for the easy button!

Great. I'm glad that worked out for you. Its definitely a bargain at $170.

Life Pro Tip: [Always be kind to people, but] Make friends with at least one green vest at the store. Then, they’ll hook you up with secret coupons.
This coupon is better than last week’s member coupon (25% off entire purchase!), and it’s the deal I used on my iKamper RTT (if you make friends with managers, they can override exclusions 😂)

832B4C4F-68FB-4CA6-A997-D2549C2F43E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Life Pro Tip: [Always be kind to people, but] Make friends with at least one green vest at the store. Then, they’ll hook you up with secret coupons.
This coupon is better than last week’s member coupon (25% off entire purchase!), and it’s the deal I used on my iKamper RTT (if you make friends with managers, they can override exclusions 😂)

View attachment 2637639

So we getting a group buy going? :D

So we getting a group buy going? :D

pretty much go shopping on friday, and walk up to one of the dudes and say "my buddy told me that got a special coupon from an employee" (with a big wink) and i bet they'll hand you one.

Well the Goal Zero Yeti 1500X gorked out after a week of use.

It was fine initially; it charged OK and I ran things like the coffee pot, a water distiller and regular 110V lights to drain it down and then charge it up. Then I let it sit, fully charged with the little blue charging light blinking. After a week I noticed the blue charging light wasn't blinking anymore. The charger apparently blew. I don't know if it matters but that charger gets REALLY hot. I'm speculating it's undersized. Goal Zero said to factory-reset the device to see if it would start charging. It didn't and the reset procedure didn't appear to follow the spec. in the owner's manual either. So, Goal Zero said I could exchenge it at REI or they would send me packing materials to exchange with them. (The lithium battery is a HAZMAT and shipping is apparently involved).

I just exchanged it at REI for a new one. Both Goal Zero support and REI were great. I'll repeat the same testing with the second unit that I performed on the first.

Story at 11.

1. EDIT 4/7/2021: plugged in and charging OK.
  2. EDIT 4/8/2021: charged to 100%, re-charged a number of power tools OK.
  3. EDIT 4/12/2021: running fine supplying DC power to the Dometic CFX375L. Dometric takes 35-45 watts with the compressor running and 1 watt at idle. With the compressor drawing 35 watts the Yeti 1500X states there is 50 hours of available power. Obviously the compressor will run more or less depending on ambient temperature.
  4. EDIT 4/16/2021: Have had the Dometic set at 0F for the smaller compartment and 37F for the larger compartment. I have gone through 2 cycles of discharging the Yeti 1500X to 100%, letting the Dometic discharge the Yeti to about 20% and then plugging in the charger. The Dometic will run like this for 3-4 days empty at room temperature. I had a 1500X fail in a week so I'm going to run these units HARD before I am out in the boonies and really needing them. FYI, the charger offers +118 watts, the Dometic drains approx. 40 watts.
  5. Edit 4 4/26/2021: The new Merlin XP170 solar panel puts out 155-165 watts in full sun (according to the Yeti) and it charged in about 4 hours from 60% to 100%.
20210426_143658-384x288-96dpi.jpg

I've tested all the inputs and outputs and the Yeti seems fully functional.
I'm done testing for now but I'll post if something new/different/exciting/awful happens. :cool:

Last edited:
Just FYI - I *think* mega mats will be 50% off on the 17th (along with a select few other items).

Sorry guys, I had bad intel. Unless there are more items than this 🤷🏻‍♂️

5F20632E-3341-426D-B089-F1BEA2A8AC39.jpeg

The REI Anniversary Sale catalog I got in the mail this weekend says all Exped MegaMat's 25% off. Quite a few things at least 25%.

Sorry guys, I had bad intel. Unless there are more items than this 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well, if anybody is in the market for a sleeping bag, those Magma bags are an incredible deal at that price. We own two but I may order a couple more. Even at the non-sale price they are a good deal. They are super light and really high quality. Comparable bags go for $400-500.

The REI Anniversary Sale catalog I got in the mail this weekend says all Exped MegaMat's 25% off. Quite a few things at least 25%.

Yep. For anybody that doesn't get the catalog. Here are a couple of items of interest:

GoalZero battery packs - 20% off
Garmin InReach Mini - $50 off
Biolite gear - 25% off
REI Flexlite camp chairs - 30% off
Rumpl Blankets - 20% off
Snow Peak Takibi fire pit/Grill - 20% off
All Nemo camp furniture - 25% off

If you need a warmer bag than the Magma 30, the Magma 15s will be 30% off as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom