Red or pink coolant? (Answer: 03 and earlier - Red; 04 and newer - Pink)

so I went to the dealership to buy my heater Ts and pick up some coolant. I expected to just say “and give me a gallon of coolant” and them to oblige. Instead they asked me “pink or red?”.

I did a quick search but couldn’t find the answer easily. With people behind me and not wanting to hold up the line I posted this thread hoping to get a quick answer. Well I ended up finding the answer before any response, but I will update the title to help others so they don’t have to read through other threads looking for the answer.

Thanks to @JunkCrzr89 for the answer

Last edited:
What happened here....weren't you asking about coolant?
I was. I was in line at the dealership and had people waiting on me. I tried looking up old threads but internet was slow and I didn’t want to keep making people wait so I made a post hoping to get a quick answer.

I eventually found the answer in a thread before anyone responded. I tried to delete the thread so as not to have another thread on coolant, but since I couldn’t delete it I just erased the content.

I might add it back to help people easily find the answer in future searches.

Last edited:
The answer is it depends on what model year you have. Pink has long been associated with premature water pump failure and other leaks. The question on my mind is whether you can use red in a vehicle for which Toyota calls for pink. I'm fine with the more frequent changes of red in exchange for longer water pump life.

I just ordered 00272-SLLC2, Toyota Super Long Life Antifreeze for my '05 470. I did not know that there were two different types.

Did I order the correct pink-- or do I now have a gallon of red?

JunkCrzr89

Competent Ignoramoose
SILVER Star
I just ordered 00272-SLLC2, Toyota Super Long Life Antifreeze for my '05 470. I did not know that there were two different types.

Did I order the correct pink-- or do I now have a gallon of red?
You bought the right stuff for 2005.

JunkCrzr89

Competent Ignoramoose
SILVER Star
866A0DCC-4879-49AB-A91A-7AC6C907804F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom