Red Cone and Radical Hill, Sunday October 4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not thinking of camping (unfortunately) because we have peeps coming from out of town--but I would like to take them on a day trip to the mountains...but Saturday is the best day for that since I think they are departing on Sunday late morning. My thought is / was that if someone were out there on Saturday we could link-up late afternoon for a trail ride; I would depart with company shortly before nightfall and leave the camper to solitude.

Was hoping to make this, but may have the excavator for my garage project coming by tomorrow. We'll see.

Oops - been reading this whole thing wrong. Thought it was Saturday, not Sunday - may still be in! :bounce2:

It may be worth coming up with a contingency plan due to weather. Getting my first looks at a storm Saturday which will likely bring the first high elevation snows. Still several days out, so I'll keep an eye on it, but just thought I'd throw out what I am seeing.

I checked the Keystone live cameras and there is no snow. Also weather.com forecast does not show precipitation for today or tomorrow, so I think we are good to stick with the original plan. Kyle, correct me if I don't have good info.

Great trip - here's a few pics

We found something of a gatekeeper early on - a big rock with no room on either side and a bit of mud. Andrew and I both had to pull out winch lines here. Doug made it work on his own - there were a few times when his shorter wheelbase & narrower track helped compared to the 80s

redcone_gatekeeper.JPG

The weather was kind of Jekyll & Hyde all day

pic2.JPG

And then this a few minutes later
pic3.JPG

Last edited:
pic4.JPG
pic5.JPG
pic6.JPG

pic7.JPG

Webster Pass
pic8.JPG
pic9.JPG

The top of Red Cone
pic10.JPG

And coming down the other side - stopping wasn't always an option.
pic11.JPG
pic12.JPG

Another shot of Webster pass. We went down the right side a bit to get out of the wind for lunch.
pic13.JPG

Lunch - just a wide spot in the road. We discussed Radical Hill, which you could see across the valley, but decided to pass on it.
pic14.JPG

After lunch we turned around and went back up to the saddle on Webster and down the other side
pic15.JPG

I think about where Doug is in this pic is where the trail was washed out when we came up Webster a few years ago
pic16.JPG

pic17.JPG
pic18.JPG

Had a great trip - thanks for putting it together!

Great pics and write up, looks like a good time. Thanks for posting.

I didn't get a lot of pictures taken yesterday. I had forgotten how much of a workout it was to wrestle a 2wd quad with 4 inches of clearance in the rear up a rocky trail!
20151004_115402_zpsvoqsp37j.jpg

Eric wasn't kidding when he said the weather was Jekyl and Hyde! It went from sunny to snowing sideways to sunny again all through the span of about 10 minutes, and it happened a couple of times. It was crazy how fast the clouds were moving through there.
20151004_115422_zpsumkzfyr9.jpg

Waiting our turn to summit Red Cone. There's only room for about 4 vehicles up there
20151004_115658_zpsnxpm3vly.jpg

At the top
20151004_122615_zpsyyrhrcze.jpg

Pretty much the same shot of Doug coming down that Eric got.
20151004_124251-1_zpsra0uwcdh.jpg

Andrew coming through the narrowest spot coming down Webster Pass, Red Cone is in the background. Photos just don't do justice how narrow it really is!
20151004_142219_zpsrzovpwwf.jpg

A HUGE waterfall I stumbled across lower on the trail:D
20151004_110308_zpstfwudzyr.jpg

It was a great trip.

That muddy spot with a rock in the middle has gotten a lot tougher over the years. Winched a four door 3/4 ton Chevy on 35's off of it last year. You're actually supposed to drive over the rocks on the drivers side, but you have to have a lightweight rig with lots of flex. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom