Red Cone and Radical Hill, Sunday October 4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trail info: Red Cone Radical Hill

Meeting location and time: WP Western Gas Station (the usual meeting spot) Meet Sunday, October 4th at 7:00am depart at 7:30am.

At the September meeting, there was some interest in camping in the area on saturday night. If anyone wants to camp in the area, we will add a 9:00 am meeting location in the trail head area. Just get in touch with me and I will add the info here.

Who is attending:
  • Andrew
  • John
  • Tracy
  • Kyle
  • Doug
  • Greg on a quad
HAMsters ((info from Luke) from Travis' thread last year):

The CRA repeaters are 147.225 in Denver, and 145.160 in Colorado Springs. CTCSS tone 107.2. They are linked. I know for a fact the Denver repeater can be hit from I25 to Conifer and Bailey, not sure the farther west we get.

I will switch to 146.580 once I lose the repeater.

Last edited:
I have a 3 day weekend...so I plan on making this one...and doing a little camping!

Cool. Let me know where we should meet and I will update my first post with the info. Let's say somewhere in the red-coneish area at 9:00 am.

I should be able to make the run, not sure if I'll camp.

Right on. It's shaping up to be a good sized group!

Hopefully Tracy's truck stays together this time lol
Make double sure your carburetor is up to the task of radical hill. It would be pretty spooky to sputter out and die half way up the last stretch. My old '78 cruiser was wheezing pretty good up that.

Going to try to get the 4th off to come back out for this one. If I do, I think I'll leave the 80 at home and run it with my ATV. Haven't taken it out at all this summer.:eek:

Its windy up there ! Just did Red Cone this last Friday, didn't try Radical Hill though.
IMG_0125.JPG

Ok, It's a definite I will be coming up for the day Sunday. Going to ride ATV so I'll just meet up with everyone at the Western Sunday morning.

Trail Damage description of Red Cone
It's VERY steep and often filled with loose rock. If you slip sideways you could have a difficult time recovering. If you slip off of the trail going down the Mountain you will most likely die.

Trail Damage description of Red Cone
It's VERY steep and often filled with loose rock. If you slip sideways you could have a difficult time recovering. If you slip off of the trail going down the Mountain you will most likely die.

Because of those trail descriptions, I stayed off of red cone for a long time. Truth is, it's not bad at all. The drop offs are pretty treacherous near the top, but you'd have to really do something stupid to put yourself in danger. As long as you've got some decent brakes, you'll be fine. I took my '78 cruiser thought there no problem.

Because of those trail descriptions, I stayed off of red cone for a long time. Truth is, it's not bad at all. The drop offs are pretty treacherous near the top, but you'd have to really do something stupid to put yourself in danger. As long as you've got some decent brakes, you'll be fine. I took my '78 cruiser thought there no problem.
I have to go home I think I hear my mother calling me!! :)

Agreed, been on others with higher pucker factor. In fact, Sam made a complete and controlled stop coming off last year.

It may be worth coming up with a contingency plan due to weather. Getting my first looks at a storm Saturday which will likely bring the first high elevation snows. Still several days out, so I'll keep an eye on it, but just thought I'd throw out what I am seeing.

It may be worth coming up with a contingency plan due to weather. Getting my first looks at a storm Saturday which will likely bring the first high elevation snows. Still several days out, so I'll keep an eye on it, but just thought I'd throw out what I am seeing.

Ugh. NO snow for this one...

Guys, throw out some suggestions, just in case

11-jpg.811916

Depending on the amount of snow its still doable with some careful driving. This is me coming down Red Cone when Travis and I ran it Fall '13. There's about 2 inches of snow at the top. More down lower on the Radical hill side.
15-jpg.811926

Anyone going up on Saturday and camping overnight? I'm not sure whether I'm going to make Sunday or not--was informed last night that we have friends coming from out-of-town for the weekend...would really like to take them on a day-trip Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom