Recommended Synthetic OIL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I'll spell it out for you, I'm saying, maybe engine temp. has some correlation to oil viscosity.

Sure. Not in my case. Something else caused my issue. If your engine is over heating and you have narrowed it down to engine oil viscosity...well then you need to broaden your search because you haven't figured out your problem.

But my 80 isn't overheating:D.

His point still eludes me......does "spelling it out" also come with a picture for thick dummies like me..??

10W-30 dino oil for the entire 235,000 miles in my engine. Using Penzoil High Mileage now.

I am running Amsoil 0w30 in mine.

Btw, I have run synthetic for every mile of its 327k miles of life except when the motor was rebuilt I ran dino for breakin only.

I'm going to recommend Rotella T6. I run that and a Mobil 1 Filter on my FZJ. Its a great all around oil and the pour point of a 5w is MUCH better then a 10W oil in cold climates like mine. It's what I recommend but run whatever you like.

According to the oil "professionals" on this forum Mobil one is one of the best but testing showed that 5-30 was on the thinner side of the spectrum for the American formulation. European was a bit thicker. They suggested the 10-40 as it too was on the thinner side of the 40s, closer to true 30 weight.
I am running 10-40 Mobil 1 high mileage. Oil report from blackstone came out fantastic.

I don't think you can go wrong with any high quality oil, really is what makes you feel good about the vehicle. Some folks think the synthetic is a waste of money, some folks like the "security" of going synthetic. Just do the research and go with one of the better brands. In truth the oil filter will probably have much more to do with protection than the oils...

The best thing you can do is try different oils and get USED OIL ANALYSIS performed. I get mine at Blackstone Labs. $35 per sample and well worth it. There are lots of opinions and specs on oil, and really should do the reading for yourself, bob's the oil guy has enough reading for the rest of your life!

Here's what I have discovered after a decent amount of research:

-5w-30 is the best all around for most climates and driving habits.
-0w-30 if you live in Canada or close to it (or other very cold climate, meaning lots of start ups below zero)
-5w-40 or higher if you do real racing or your engine runs around 250 or higher. It can help leaks or burning oil, but really masks the problem and is at the expense of added wear

I autocross my Camaro and it is still recommended to run 5-30 and I get about 8K miles each change. The 0w- is pretty thin and not really needed unless you are below zero.

Brands open a new can of worms, again used oil analysis is the best way to go. I have run Mobil 1 with good results but I run Redline with better results and slightly longer intervals. I run dino Mobil in the Cruiser since it would take me ten years to get enough miles to be worth changing so I change the cheap dino once a year (usually around 2K miles a year)

Sure do. At that has exactly what to do with my oil?

Just throwing this out there, but my recent overheating scare turned out to be a clogged cat, which may very well be a result of the oil I'm using (Delvac 15w-40) :oops:

Made the switch from Toyo 10w-30 conventional (bottled by Exxon/Mobil) about a year or so ago, so it's possible it may have caused the cat to start breaking down :hmm:

I'm sure you know this already, but diesel oils have a higher ZDDP content, which may be great for the engine, but not very good for gasser cats depending on how much it consumes :redface:

I know we have countless folks on the forum running diesel oil without issue, so take it with a grain of salt, but your overheating thread is way longer than mine ;)

Good info here.

"use what Toyota recommends"

You mean what the US govt mandates they recommend? Everywhere but the US, for the exact same engine, Toyota recommends 20w-50 oil. The thinner oil recommended in the US is to do with mileage standards and federal regulations and not to do with what's best for the engine.

Interesting. Where did you read that?

Mobil One for over 20 years..

Interesting. Where did you read that?

On a number of sites including here. Between the googles and sites like this one and other enthusiast boards it probably shouldn't be too hard to find non-US versions of the owners manuals if you need to.

Hi,

For my HDJ I've recomended in a couple of sites, including Mud, Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W40.

The previous owner told me to stick with good oils, obvious, but not any. He said something like BP or Mobil but for example Castrol would recomend, because of something to do with the big end bearing issue... If I recall correctly.

Cheers

First, Thanks for this forum. Have gained alot of insight since finding this site.
Would like some opinions on recommended oil to use in 96 Cruiser. I have been using Amsoil for many years in other vehicles, but my source locally might be getting a bit troublesome. Just wondered if the valve train is happier with a certain brand or type. I am not wishing to start any kind of oil war here, just want some expert opinions. Thanks again
Rotella 15W-40... I may try the Mobil1 5-40 Turbo Diesel Truck concoction. Decision is sometimes based on a sale of the oil tas well as the feedback on this board

There is a variance in weights by different companies too. One is example is Mobil 1 euro 0w-40 is on the light side of a 40 making it comparible to Redline Xw-30 which is on the thicker side of the 30 tolerance. Not that it makes one good or bad, just that not all oils of the same weight are always the same, spec sheets have to be compared.

This honestly sounds a little bit like a conspiracy theory:

"use what Toyota recommend

You mean what the US govt mandates they recommend? Everywhere but the US, for the exact same engine, Toyota recommends 20w-50 oil. The thinner oil recommended in the US is to do with mileage standards and federal regulations and not to do with what's best for the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom