recommendations for LJ70 electronics? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kileni

2006 LX470
Threads
Hi, I bought a 1986 LJ70 that was in pretty bad shape. We've almost got the body work and paint job done, so now I need to buy whatever electronics will be needed.

Please help on the following items AND WHATEVER YOU RECOMMEND!
  • a stereo - What size will fit? I'd like one that has a screen that can connect to a backup camera, and that I can connect my iPhone to to listen to music. It doesn't need to be able to play CDs or DVDs.
  • speakers - It's my understanding 4" speakers go in the dash (with some difficulty). What else would you recommend? I'll probably install aluminum diamond plate to replace the old panels, so I guess that gives some flexibility in the back. I'm not huge on music but am a guy who likes quality.
  • other?
Thank you!

Hello,

Depending on the dash hole, there are two choices. One configuration has a single DIN opening and a small box. The other has a double DIN opening and no box.

Any single- or double-DIN size stereo will work.

Standard grade Cruisers have two 4 in. (10 cm) speakers in the dash. Their replacement requires taking apart the combination meter on the left side and the glove box on the right. Again, any speaker with the proper connector will do.

It is possible to mount bigger speakers on the doors but this setup requires drilling the door panels and doing some extra wiring.

LX grade Cruisers have speakers on the rear doors. The rear panels should be checked for connectors. Again, installing them requires drilling and splicing.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Hello,

One more thing: pictures.

As 'MUD users like to say, pictures or it did not happen!

Juan

no matter which radio u get, attach it to the dash board with the original brackets. that will save the din panel from getting cracked.
I installed a small radio with bluetooth
Kienzle Automotive GmbH: Online Shop
they have an ebay shop.
it required some work to match the din panel, but its ok now.

as for speakers, depends what you want to hear, my engine is not very quiet….

Sincere thanks! I ordered speakers, a double DIN radio, backup cam, alarm system, etc. Hopefully we'll get it installed within the upcoming weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom