rebuilding early fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i replaced the valves as well. one of the original valves seemed to have a weak spring. seems be working perfect now. i can remove the electric pump ive been using finally. im big time happy

Interesting that nuclearlemon's hand primer diaphragm shaft was a T style, not the one that looks like a slotted gun cleaning jag.

might be a later style, this isn't off annie, this was a spare i picked up, so history and year are unknown...the new pump he tore down has a t also

My 63 Fj45v hand primer pump has the t shaped shaft too.
IMG_8305.JPG
IMG_8307.JPG

very strange, im pretty sure the t is a newer style so it may have been rebuilt before perhaps or just swapped out. anyhow, its an easy fix to switch,tread, and replace.

Yes well, check my FJ45V thread. It has been sitting for years and obviously has been flooded. The engine was filled with water and so was the fuel pump.

But the handprimer pump was salvageable and will get on the 62 FJ40.

Good chance it has been rebuilt before. But that would mean someone changed the lever. It was good so I didn't touch that.

Odd that this thread was revived now, as I just looked into this earlier this week. Since I had rebuilt a very similar pump for an early 240Z some years ago, I thought I might do the same for my early 40 with its hand-primer pump. But when I opened the new pump and saw that the check valves were staked in place, I decided it wasn’t worth it. I installed the new pump as is, and bagged the original for safekeeping. Maybe I’ll look into this again some day, but for now whether I have the hand primer or not on this truck doesn’t seem to be a big deal.

Last edited:
I don’t have the part number handy, but the pump I used on my early ‘64 was listed as fitting ‘73-77. The inlet port is clocked slightly differently, and it needed longer mounting bolts as the flange is thicker. Works perfectly, and had I been willing to dissect it I’m pretty certain its parts would have fit the old pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom