rebuilding a 40 in a one car garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The Netherlands, In the Market Garden area
So here it starts.
After annoying a lot of you guy's with your builds I will give you a chanche to help me with mine. In fact I would be honored if you do.
I got my 40 somewhere in March this year, actualy I got 2.
They where droped in a barn waiting for the PO to continue the work on them.

This is what I found.
Herschaalde kopie van P1010800.jpg
Herschaalde kopie van P1010802.jpg
Herschaalde kopie van P1010850.jpg

Last edited:
The other one is a different story that I will save for later.
Well here are some pictures, its been in storage ever since it rolled down a climb, pignion broke just before the top.
I've also put it in storage until the first one is ready for the road and have a go at it then.
Herschaalde kopie van P1010987.jpg
Herschaalde kopie van P1010989.jpg
Herschaalde kopie van P1010991.jpg

This is after I got the first one home.

If you look at the floor in the back of the second picture you can already see where it starts to go bad, the floor is reproduced like in a post '79, this way the gas tank won't fit. It had to go, the floor that is. Something else you can not see on the pictures is that there is the a gap of 1" in the midlle of the side between the roof and the side walls. The tub is bend down behind the doors.

ps. Landrovers do come in handy some times.
Herschaalde kopie van P1010934.jpg
Herschaalde kopie van P1010935.jpg
Herschaalde kopie van P1010938.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a lot of work was already done. Is the body in primer? engine looks clean.

Thats what I thought, engine looks good and knowing what the PO does for a living it will be ok. You must know that he did most of the bodywork with glue which is a good and a bad thing.
Good because it didn't involve cutting when taking it appart, bad because it was a :censor: of a job slicing through it.

Some pics with the floor out.
The first one shows the black beam welded to the frame, and so being in a to low position. Took me a few hours to take the floor out.:mad::bang:
Herschaalde kopie van P1020070.jpg
Herschaalde kopie van P1020073.jpg
Herschaalde kopie van P1020075.jpg

So I took out the frame for the floor, at that time I thought just remake the frame slap in a floor and wheel wells paint and drive.:rolleyes:
Yeah shure.

So first thing I had to do at that time was prepare my :princess: for a long term project. Lets skip all the confersation and get to the point where I'm not allowed to make a mess om Sunday, I have to open the garage door to be able to work, this one is also going to be used for the horse trailer and the best part the other one is going to get fixed and used for wheeling. Mariage is giving and giving and giving and sometimes you do get something back even if it is from your own sigar case.:lol::meh::lol:

Anyway no more frame.
And starting to free the beam from the frame and getting the tub square again.
Herschaalde kopie van P1020077.jpg
Herschaalde kopie van P1020078.jpg
Herschaalde kopie van P1020144.jpg

I can't say I have ever seen anything like that. Is that aluminum square tube he used to create the sub floor grid, then glued the sheet metal to?

It's square steel tubing covered by a steel plate.
I started to change the frame because it is a solid base for a floor, especialy if you don't want to spend a lot of money to get a 3/4 tub to Holland. I can buy one in this area but the quality is not so good. I decided to make something from scrap ( well I did buy new steel but scrap sounds better).

When lifting the beam the fenders where bending so I had to remove them to. As long as I was removing stuff also took out the outside rocker panels and going to remove parts of the floor that was glued behind that.
Herschaalde kopie van P1020139.jpg
Herschaalde kopie van P1020413.jpg
Herschaalde kopie van P1020419.jpg

Hey, at least it's a one car garage :D. Many trucks have been built outside on the dirt :(

Look forward to watching your build.

Hey, at least it's a one car garage :D. Many trucks have been built outside on the dirt :(

Look forward to watching your build.

I know but these guys/girls where not married to my :princess:.

Don't get me wrong, she is great but has a problem with things not looking perfect.:frown:

Thanks, I hope it pleases you guys as much as I like to roam arround MUD.

Last edited:
Nice work . you and i are working out of a 1 car , i know your pain.

Thank you, looks like you've even got a bigger challenge.
Happy buiding brother.:cheers:

Most not married period.

Marriage has a way of slowing things down a lot. I'm starting to make some progress on my truck again after very little for 10 years. I do understand.

Don't get me wrong, she is great but has a problem with things not looking perfect.:frown:

Most not married period.

Marriage has a way of slowing things down a lot. I'm starting to make some progress on my truck again after very little for 10 years. I do understand.

That depends on the wife, I found a cj8 to restore and my wife snagged it off ebay for me, found a 1962 fj40 on ebay with a buy it now and my wife made me go right home and buy it, picked up another off CL so I have two fj40 projects in the garage. The wife found some extra doors, hoods and other parts on ebay and bought them for me. I am thank full for a 3 car garage but with the body off one the whole garage is full of fj40 stuff. I could not imagine doing it in a 1 car garage, or with no garage.

I wish my tires looked that good ;)

As stated a lot of work has been done, looks like a mod to the brake master cylinder...engine looks good.

Dwight

Are you married to MY WIFE!?!?!?;p
The rig looks great.
Im a little baffled by the GLUING of the steel. That just seems odd somehow. If it worked, I guess that you cant argue with that, but...Cant wait to see what you come up with.
Im SOOOOOO glad Im past that point of doing the body panels. Got a TWITCH just looking at the pics of that.:D GAWD how I HATE SHEET METAL work.

Good luck!

Keith

That depends on the wife, I found a cj8 to restore and my wife snagged it off ebay for me, found a 1962 fj40 on ebay with a buy it now and my wife made me go right home and buy it, picked up another off CL so I have two fj40 projects in the garage. The wife found some extra doors, hoods and other parts on ebay and bought them for me. I am thank full for a 3 car garage but with the body off one the whole garage is full of fj40 stuff. I could not imagine doing it in a 1 car garage, or with no garage.

I'm not complaining, there are some things you have to take into concideration and if you do she will think with you. Mine suggested we buy workshop nearby and rent part of it out to other car enthousiasts. However an investment of € 150k ($200k) is a big investment for a hobby. And it gets you only 14x7 meters so not much to rent out.:hmm:
Besides if you have to drive out to the workshop every time you don't just go for 30 minutes in the evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom