Rear view Mirror wobble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2005. The rear view mirror is really wobbly and seems to barely hang......although it does not fall off.

I tried tightening the screw the other day and it didn't help. SO then I took the mirror off and the whole thing apart. It came off in two pieces. The mirror base is held on the WS with two little screws. There is a little silver metal piece that fits into another piece but mine does not stay together very well.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words and I will take pics if I need to , but I thought maybe someone else had dealt with wobbly mirror.

I searched but didn't find anything tho.....

Randy

Can you fit a shim of some kind in there to make it tighter?

I vaguely remember the mount being spring loaded.

I went through a very expensive process for replacing my mirror.

(1) I found one online and it was cheap. Way cheaper than the $500 or $600+ that a OEM mirror cost, if you can find one
(2) The "direct replacement" online mirror wasn't a direct replacement. It used the older style small foot that glues onto the windshield. No problem... I'll just remove the Toyota foot and glue on the new, smaller foot. Don't do that... I used the tried and true twist motion, gently I would add, and the foot popped off, tore a deep hole in the windshield, and sent spider cracks through the windshield. What was a perfectly good windshield had to be replaced.
(3) Hey... now that I am getting a new windshield I'll just have them use the small foot. Ummm. no... the new windshield comes with the large Toyota mount already attached. F...
(4) Beno hooked me up with a factory mirror, not quite the right color, and now I have a well attached mirror. The original owner did some kind of weird crap with the power for the compass so that doesn't work yet but... I can see out the back. I drove from TX to Maine and back without a rear view mirror. The eastern corridor is not a good place to drive without a rear view mirror.

So far the mirror has been the most frustrating thing about the TLC. And... probably the most expensive by weight and function. But... I've got plans to add goodies so I'm sure it won't hold the record long. Actually... the KO2's that I just had put on are probably at the top.

Misery loves company. I have the same issue with my 99 as well. I did exactly what was described in the link above, and even though the screws were loose, it didn't solve my issue. The pivot point itself was loose. I'm anxiously awaiting a proposed solution that doesn't cost limbs but not holding my breath.

Mine rattles too, will take apart tomorrow and advise...

Well I feel a bit better to know that others are having a problem and I am not just an idiot. I thought, "I'll just go out and tighten the screw and that will help. Should take 45 seconds." After about an hour of taking apart and putting together I realized I was either missing a piece or needed something replaced.

The base that attaches to the windshield is good. The two tiny screws hold it very tightly to the WS. The mirror dangles from the cord and it has a piece on its back that snugs up to the piece on the WS. And there is a shiny metal clip in there too.

I took it apart and put it together at least 4 or 5 times. Never helped. Mine seems to wobble from that pivot point.

I looked on Toyota parts zone to see if there was an option to buy just maybe that silver clip, but I am not sure of the part #.

A new mirror is 500 dollars or more!!!! I don't think I need an entire new mirror though. And if I do.....I'll deal with the wobble.

I hope someone smarter than me can figure this out!

... if there was an option to buy just maybe that silver clip...
Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, feels that many parts are best sold as a "special" package price!
As you mentioned, a five dollar component will be packaged with a five hundred dollar part, along with a few other minor nickle and dime parts.
Gotta love their marketing!!

Mine wobbles at the ball and socket right on the back side of the mirror. Anybody got a fix for that?

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420507065.580748.jpg
where the gray part of the mirror meets the black thing that is on windshield does not tighten and that is where it is loose.....

There is a little silver dude that fits between those two parts. Is there any thing other than that that is supposed to be in there?

Add me to the wobbly mirror club. When my windshield was replaced, I figured it would be solved, but as you said the bracket is mounted tight to the windshield, it's the mirror attachment to that bracket that is loose and doesn't seem to be able to be tightened?

If your wobble is from the windshield 'base' you'll need the metal spring, yours may be stripped if you cannot tighten it.

In some cases, you will need a whole new mirror ($78 from octoyotaparts.com) if your mirror pivot ball is loose.

My mirror is loose, but does not wobble or cause any vibrations while looking in the mirror. Upon closer inspection, from memory so I may be wrong, there was a plastic piece that is cracked and did not allow for replacement.

87805 BASE SUB-ASSY, INNER REAR VIEW MIRROR
87805-60010 1 $16.33
87810 MIRROR ASSY, INNER REAR VIEW
87810-60140-A0 IVORY, TRIM40, 41 1 $115.05
87810-60140-B0 MD.GRAY, TRIM1* 1 $115.05
87825 SPRING, INNER REAR VIEW MIRROR SETTING
87825-60010 1 $1.46

@Slickspawn

so the entire setup via link Octoyota will mount directly into the pre- attached bracket? The one with the two super tiny screws?

@Slickspawn

so the entire setup via link Octoyota will mount directly into the pre- attached bracket? The one with the two super tiny screws?

That's how I understand it as the window mount is a separate part group...

Well I've now messed with mine enough that it is just hanging by the wire.... Swinging back and forth sucks more than wobbly! I may be sacrificial lamb to see if 120 dollar set up will work. But where do those wires that feed into the mirror disconnect?!

Actually I may just buy the metal spring from local stealership. Thy will charge me like 30 percent over retail.... But hopefully that is just a couple of bucks....

put some duct tape on the part that is on the windshield screw it down if it wobbles add more. When solid trim the tape with a razor and no wobble and no visible tape.

Actually I may just buy the metal spring from local stealership.
If you know about the size of the spring, go to McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/#springs/=vcnekc
You may have to buy a pack of 10 or so, but it should still be under five or ten dollars.
I seriously can't imagine a dealership selling just a spring. Refer to my comment above about Toyota's special "package" deals...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom