Rear Tailgate Lock Pull (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone know where I could source the little plastic lock pull tab thing that screws onto the lock rod on the rear tailgate? Its the plastic part that you pull or push on to lock or unlock the rear tailgate lock. I have looked through the various Toyota diagrams and parts listings but cannot seem to be able to find this piece. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know where I could source the little plastic lock pull tab thing that screws onto the lock rod on the rear tailgate? Its the plastic part that you pull or push on to lock or unlock the rear tailgate lock. I have looked through the various Toyota diagrams and parts listings but cannot seem to be able to find this piece. Thanks in advance.

can U post a photo of this part U need or a parts diagram identification / some more concrete information ?

I have a few 60/62 series push button Rear hatch parts locks set up's , Rod Clips etc .......

old skool toyota.jpg

The part I need is the pull tab for the rear tailgate lock. Its the plastic part that screws down on to the lock rod that you grab to pull or push to lock or unlock the rear tailgate. I cannot seem to find it on any diagrams so I don't know a part number. I called Camelback and they told me that the part number I am after is 69747-20020-C0 but the kid I was talking to sounded young and was having a hard time understanding the part I need (even manual locks seemed to be foreign to him) so I am not sure this is correct. Here is a photo of the part I need:

IMG_3236.jpg
IMG_3237.jpg
IMG_3239.jpg

The part I am after is in my hand. Hopefully you can see these photos. Thanks for the help.

If you put this number into your browser ,69747-20020-C0, It will show many places that have it. It is less than $3. Good luck.

OK I was able to search using that part number using an image search. It does appear to be the correct part I am after. Helps to have the part number for sure. I just could not find it listed in the parts diagrams to figure out the PN. Calling CamelBack to get it was the key. If anyone is interested CruiserParts has it here. Sorry to bother.

No bother, that's what we call ,Cruiser Community. Glad we could help.:cheers:

It’s so the gate won’t come down accidentally when your mates are shoot at pigs out the back...

Dang, the 60 series was tacti-cool before the term even became known. :grinpimp:

The real question is, when and how do you even use that lock. It's the most useless security feature I've ever seen.

i’ve often wondered myself what the hell that is even there for!

OK so I got this part from my local Toyota dealer. $4.50 takes it home, which is just what I did with it. I went to install it and noticed that part of the old one was deep down in the hole in the door still wrapped around the steel lock pull rod. I fished it out with little trouble but then while looking at it realized this short piece was actually as long as new part I got. So now I am wondering if the part I have is actually for something else and the actual part that goes here looks the same but is only longer. When I got the cruiser the door locking button sort of stuck up from the base of the rear tailgate even when the tailgate was locked. If I unlocked it, it stuck up even more and when you closed the rear hatch it seemed to force the lock button closed by having the rear hatch hit the top of the button when it was closed. I always thought it was pretty clever design but maybe all this time it was just broke and I didn't realize it. So either the PO had the lock button part I got break off leaving the rest of the button on the threaded rod, and he got the same part I did and tried to just screw it on as far as he could hoping that would fix it, or the part I have is not the right part and the original part I have that broke is actually broken in half if that makes sense. The part I have works but the button now sits flush with the top of the tailgate. Does anyone have any idea if the button is supposed to sit up and contact the rear tailgate when it closes or is it supposed to sit flush with the rear tailgate?

The first photo below is comparing the original door pull with the piece I fished out from inside the tailgate off the rod. Almost the same size.

The second photo show the piece I fished out from the door sort of mocked together with the original part that broke off forming two pieces.

The third photo compare the new part I bought (top) with the original part (bottom). They look to be roughly the same length although the original part seems to be a little wider.

IMG_3245.jpg
IMG_3246.jpg
IMG_3247.jpg

The new part seems to screw on the rod fine and seems to be made for it. Not sure if this is right part or not. I don't really see anywhere else in the cruiser this part would go except the tailgate so don't think there ae multiple parts to get mixed up here. Its possible its not supposed to stick up which is why mine broke in the first place.

Sorry I am such a stickler here. Trying to get this Cruiser right all around as best I can. I know its not a big deal but the devil is in the details. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Every unique plastic piece specific to the FJ60 has been discontinued. The only saving grace is that some of the plastic parts also were used in other Toyotas. If it was used in enough other models (dome light diffuser for example) the part likely will still be available.

What may have happened with that tailgate doohickey you got is it's a best-match part from another model that some poor sodOsan in Japan had to figure out that would work well enough... since the original is long gone.

The FJ60 has plenty of instances of this. Bolts being one of the more annoying ones/ the lengths are a bit different.

The lock button is not supposed to contact the upper gate when it comes down. If the button top is flush with the
surface of the lower gate then you’re good. It’s just a gate lock, nothing else. Useless? Not really, it offers a bit
more security to stop people just opening the lower gate and letting it crash down. Some people have no idea

The lock button is not supposed to contact the upper gate when it comes down. If the button top is flush with the
surface of the lower gate then you’re good. It’s just a gate lock, nothing else. Useless? Not really, it offers a bit
more security to stop people just opening the lower gate and letting it crash down. Some people have no idea

Great, thanks for the reply. The new button top sits flush with the surface of the lower gate when its locked. The original part looks old enough to be original to the truck so I thought I may have had the wrong part. If its supposed to sit flush when locked then I should be set. The other part hit the rear hatch when it closed if the button was not locked and actually seemed to push it down to lock the rear tailgate. The fact its broken would imply it was not supposed to hit the rear hatch at all. Not sure what the PO did here. The part I took off sure looks original to the truck however. Thanks for the clarification Cruiser pilot. I know I am getting way into this little lock thing but again trying to get this cruiser right as is possible with current parts availability. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom