Rear passenger floor too hot for feet - help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This has never happened before and the rest of the car is performing 100% as expected. However, the floor in the 2nd row on the passenger side is so hot my daughter who sat there could not put her feet down. Any idea what might be going on??

Cooked cat

Your catalytic converter has burned up. It isn't allowing enough flow and the restriction is causing it to overheat. It needs to be replaced.

Your catalytic converter has burned up. It isn't allowing enough flow and the restriction is causing it to overheat. It needs to be replaced.
Ah - cat - I get it. My wife has the truck on a 3 hour road trip. Is it safe to drive back? How soon does it need to be replaced?

Yes, it'll be OK to drive. The check engine light will come on, eventually.

The cats are required by law, and for proper engine management by the ECM (computer). It'll fail emissions if it's cooked. Your gas mileage may suffer, or may not. Depends on how long it's been like that.

Yes, it'll be OK to drive. The check engine light will come on, eventually.

The cats are required by law, and for proper engine management by the ECM (computer). It'll fail emissions if it's cooked. Your gas mileage may suffer, or may not. Depends on how long it's been like that.
Thanks so much! I thought you meant a cat literally crawled up under the truck and was being cooked! :p

Well, that's not an impossibility. But with the weather the way it's been, it's unlikely. They do crawl into the fan shroud with surprising regularity

Well, that's not an impossibility. But with the weather the way it's been, it's unlikely. They do crawl into the fan shroud with surprising regularity

Btw - is it possible the cat is only clogged? And if so, is there any good tip on how to try and unclog it?

Is the rear heater on? Check the controls above the second row.
I will ask - i am not there. I did see that is another thread.

I will ask - i am not there. I did see that is another thread.
Is there a major concern driving it 200 miles home?

Is the rear heater on? Check the controls above the second row.
Well you won't believer this - turns out the rear AC was on because it was hot on their trip. But my wife didn't realize our 3 year old had turned it to 90! Anyway, I think that was the issue.

Damn kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom