rear main seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Resurrection attempt:

At 156K I have the same leak and know I will have to do the rear main seal at some point, but was wondering if anyone had thoughts on other things to replace while it’s torn apart. The search function is being glitchy and giving me no results when I search “rear main seal” in the hundy forum...which obviously can’t be true because I found this thread via google.

Aside from checking bearings and front trans seal, is there anything else worth doing as PM while I am this far in? I’m willing to drop some $ on peace of mind parts since the hard part already has to be done.

Your flex plate probably has cracks (known issue)...so inspect it while apart.

Curious: Have you used synthetic or dino oil in the motor?

Thanks Spresso. I will probably source that to have on hand just in case considering their relatively low price tag. Don't want to tear it down more than once. Any inspection criteria other than scoring/polishing?

PO had the truck on dealership fill to my knowledge. After I bought it I did one dealer visit to have an extra set of eyes look at the new ride, then I switched to DIY Mobil 1 full synth 5w30. I work with folks who do lube qualification testing and visited with several who advised me that switching is not the issue that it once was. Current oils undergo backwards compatibility testing for seals and components.

I recall seeing moisture in this location the first time I changed the oil so I hesitate to blame it on the lube.

Nothing special per inspection other than degreasing if necessary. Cracks will be easy to see if they're present. FYI/FWIW my replacement OEM Toyota flex plate was identical to the original unit I removed (cracked in several places). I was a little surprised Toyota didn't do a little re-design/improvement.

That is a bit disappointing but I can see an OEM deciding it isn't worth the engineering and mfg cost to redo a component for a 10+ y/o platform. How many miles were on yours when it failed?

I think it was around 225k miles or so. Mine didn't fail, thankfully. But was apart of trying to find a knock that sounded like a failing rod. There have been a few reported flex plate failures on this forum though. Just glad I caught mine when I did. Not sure how easily it would be to inspect the flex plate through the access plate on the bell housing...but I recommend at least giving it a go.

Finally cleaned and inspected my truck after HIH 9 last week. Turns out I seem to have a rear main seal leak too. So I go to the google machine. And what do I find? Appx 12 years earlier @bluecruiser had the same issue. Odly/ funny enough, I was going to indirectly blame this on him from a Friday run we did on Stoney that was at a pretty Fast pace. Lol. I’m not really complaining though. That was the most fun run of the weekend ! So how many hours was it? 7?

Last edited:
Finally cleaned and inspected my truck after HIH 9 last week. Turns out I seem to have a rear main seal leak too. So I go to the google machine. And what do I find? Appx 12 years earlier @bluecruiser had the same issue. Odly/ funny enough, I was going to indirectly blame this on him from a Friday run we did on Stoney that was at a pretty Fast pace. Lol. I’m not really complaining though. That was the finest run of the weekend ! So how many hours was it? 7?
I’ll take the blame. Haha. Fun isn’t free. It sucks because the seal is like $20.

I've had one on my truck from 150k i think, I'm at 175k now. Oil changes every 5k and never had to top it off and nothing ever made it to the ground unless i left it parked for 10+ days. And even then it's literally one drop. It also started after two synthetic mobil1 oil changes.

I ended up using at-205 for about 5000 miles plus the 2800 i just added going to hih9, And when i did an oil change afterwards, the leak was gone. So i ended up going with synthetic again to see if it comes back. Only difference is i went with pennzoil instead of mobil1 and 10w-30 instead of 5w-30.

I'll update my findings by the next oil change in 5k miles.

My mechanic asked me if I did a lot of water crossing? I said, kind of??!! He thinks maybe grit got in the bell housing. I wont get it in until later this week or even next week, so we will see that the Damage $$$ is then.

Dirty water/mud is usually the culprit. It probably wasn't the crystal clear water from Imogene or Stony, but the mud puddles and trail slop that got it.

Drove 2015 LX 570 with 30k miles for about two hours straight and ended up off the road buried axle deep in water and mud and it sat there for at least three hours when I changed the fluid in the front and rear differential at 40k miles it almost looked brand new.

Drove 2015 LX 570 with 30k miles for about two hours straight and ended up off the road buried axle deep in water and mud and it sat there for at least three hours when I changed the fluid in the front and rear differential at 40k miles it almost looked brand new.
Congrats?

This thread is discussing the rear main seal of the engine on the 100 series, just FYI.

To keep things techy: My rear main is leaking a tad, a while ago it would leave a drop or two every now and then, not so much now. Didnt do any substantial water crossings before it started leaking and haven't switched oil or anything else. Unless you are doing a deep, long water crossing I doubt much water/grit would make it to that seal.

Last edited:
I was really surprised since my LX only has 110K miles. Had 99k when I got it in Feb. I figured this was the result of actually using it after it averaging only 5k miles a year making rounds to the market and post office 🏤 n it’s previous life

Mine started along with the front output transfer case seal after a trip with several deep crossings.
For the time being I added some AT-205 reseal and see if improves.
Both leak about 2-3 drops after being parked and prob more while driving.
117K miles, not a daily driver with full synthetic 5w30 and 75w90.

Djcloz, Diego 355
But would water really make it all the way in there on a simple water crossing?
I've had one on my truck from 150k i think, I'm at 175k now. Oil changes every 5k and never had to top it off and nothing ever made it to the ground unless i left it parked for 10+ days. And even then it's literally one drop. It also started after two synthetic mobil1 oil changes.

I ended up using at-205 for about 5000 miles plus the 2800 i just added going to hih9, And when i did an oil change afterwards, the leak was gone. So i ended up going with synthetic again to see if it comes back. Only difference is i went with pennzoil instead of mobil1 and 10w-30 instead of 5w-30.

I'll update my findings by the next oil change in 5k miles.
I'm in Austin. I'm definitely following your progress. Noticed mine a couple years ago. Cleaned it, never came back until now and yes it coincides with going to mobile 1 syn. Lc mech said u can go straight back to conventional. Have to do it a quart at a time. Too long of explaination... Said it would be ok to go syn blend. He never had used the At205 or others. I'm giving the blend a chance next month and looking forwards to more At205 comments/progress from you.

Last edited:
Djcloz, Diego 355

I'm in Austin. I'm definitely following your progress. Noticed mine a couple years ago. Cleaned it, never came back until now and yes it coincides with going to mobile 1 syn. Lc mech said u can go straight back to conventional. Have to do it a quart at a time. Too long of explaination... Said it would be ok to go syn blend. He never had used the At205 or others. I'm giving the blend a chance next month and looking forwards to more At205 comments/progress from you.

at-205 did not help the rear main situation that much. From 2-3 drops now is 1-2 drops. I also did an oil change with Royal Purple syn high mileage, I haven't driven the LX that much so I wont know until the next couple oil changes.
It worked great on my transfer case and steering rack though.

at-205 did not help the rear main situation that much. From 2-3 drops now is 1-2 drops. I also did an oil change with Royal Purple syn high mileage, I haven't driven the LX that much so I wont know until the next couple oil changes.
It worked great on my transfer case and steering rack though.
Thanks bud. I've read alot on here about the high mileage stuff that scared me. Hope it works and let us know.

I've used Mobil 1 high mileage and extended performance for over 150k miles. Toyota partners with Mobil for their oil based on brochures and marketing I've seen at the dealer. I can't see an oil causing a leak but I'll keep a lookout for rear main now that I'm getting closer to 300k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom