Rear lower control arm skids - who makes them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking at options for this like Trail Tailor but am wondering what else is out there. Combing through threads and found this pic by @Taco2Cruiser but its wasn't clear to me who the manufacture was or if these were home made (by someone with skills). Are these BudBuilt? I don't see anything like this on BB web site.

IMG_0760.JPG

Looking at options for this like Trail Tailor but am wondering what else is out there. Combing through threads and found this pic by @Taco2Cruiser but its wasn't clear to me who the manufacture was or if these were home made (by someone with skills). Are these BudBuilt? I don't see anything like this on BB web site.

BudBuilt has yet to finalize the production version of the skid. The final version should look similar to that picture; it's mostly down to getting proper fitment across all years last I spoke with Rob.

BudBuilt has yet to finalize the production version of the skid. The final version should look similar to that picture; it's mostly down to getting proper fitment across all years last I spoke with Rob.
Thanks but dang. These look better to me than anything else I have seen as far as a design concept goes.

Here are early BudBuilt versions still taking a beating on my truck after several years now. They are seemingly **indestructible.
** They go on quickly and easily without removing anything at all. I installed mine in a hotel parking lot at the time...

Not stainless on these particular prototypes, and obviously not cleaned up in these photos... but I’d swear these things could survive the military’s MOAB bomb—
ECA85CC7-899F-471F-AF84-9746232948EE.jpeg
EFCA0A46-F669-40B6-B3A0-6D126C62DFB0.jpeg

Highly recommend... but I guess they aren’t out?

The bolt point would be utterly mangled on my truck without these.

Paging @Taco2Cruiser ...

Last edited:
I have the trail tailor version and do think it’s overly complex to fit when that additional thru hole is already available. Instead it resorts to two self tappers, which I had a horrible time getting in. I’m no machinist, but using what’s already available for attach points seems good.I am not worried about post install issues, once fitted they’re solid.

I emailed BB and Rob said they are making a few tweaks and hope to have them out by the end of the year. I’ll be ordering a set as soon I can!

On a semi related note, thinking about these skids got me thinking about upgraded lower control arms. Looks like you can spend a lot of money on stronger arms like the Icons ($750) but I wonder how much they better they can really be in terms of not getting bent if you land one on a rock. For $350, I could just carry two spare OEM arms. I rather just replace a damaged $150 arm then bend an Icon and have to replace it. Are the upgraded arms really worth it?

I emailed BB and Rob said they are making a few tweaks and hope to have them out by the end of the year. I’ll be ordering a set as soon I can!

On a semi related note, thinking about these skids got me thinking about upgraded lower control arms. Looks like you can spend a lot of money on stronger arms like the Icons ($750) but I wonder how much they better they can really be in terms of not getting bent if you land one on a rock. For $350, I could just carry two spare OEM arms. I rather just replace a damaged $150 arm then bend an Icon and have to replace it. Are the upgraded arms really worth it?

If those arms are significantly stronger, and stronger than the attachment points. Then technically you'd have to worry about snapping the attachment point..

Is anyone still making a rear LCA skid? Trail Tailor isn’t making them anymore, Budbuilt doesn’t have one on the website, and I haven’t gotten through to them yet.

Any word why trail tailor stopped making them?

Not enough volume of 200 sales.

i’m really bummed to find out trail Taylor stop making them. I took a hard-hit on one of mine and I could really use another one. Hopefully he’ll see this thread and make another batch.

i’m really bummed to find out trail Taylor stop making them. I took a hard-hit on one of mine and I could really use another one. Hopefully he’ll see this thread and make another batch.
How about heating and bending back into shape, of course off of the vehicle? With enough heat things get real pliable.

Maybe if we could get a few people to pre-commit he’d be willing to run a batch?

Sign me up too! I just put on BB skids and shock armor and was looking to pull the trigger on the TT lower control arm skids next. Finding out in this thread that they weren’t making them anymore was a huge let down in my plans.

Sign me up too! I just put on BB skids and shock armor and was looking to pull the trigger on the TT lower control arm skids next. Finding out in this thread that they weren’t making them anymore was a huge let down in my plans.
I am in the Same boat as you, just finished my full BB install and was hoping they'd also have released LCA skids by now. I'll get in touch with them and see if they are still in the works. I like the BB no drilling approach of their beta design.

I tried to reach Rob a couple of times, but no reply. I read in another thread that he’s out for a while?

I tried to reach Rob a couple of times, but no reply. I read in another thread that he’s out for a while?
I talked to Bud today about his RLCA mount armor and he's still tweaking. He also told me Rob has left BB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom