Rear drawer storage and sleeping platform built (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Outsane

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
solvefunction.com
The week of Thanksgiving our family of 4 is doing a trip from San Diego - Las Vegas - Death Valley - Yosemite - San Francisco. The last couple of trips we slept in a tent. I missed sleeping in back of the 4runner. This seemed like a great option. 1/2 birch plywood. Drawers slide great, no rails more storage space. Aluminum edging were needed.
20171029_180913.jpg
20171030_214302.jpg
20171101_190520.jpg
20171105_075646.jpg
I took a gamble and did not add the wings, we inflated the mattress and tried it out. We don't think the wings are required.
20171105_084254.jpg
next week I am getting a cnc to cut plywood panels. Couple of weeks short.

The week of Thanksgiving our family of 4 is doing a trip from San Diego - Las Vegas - Death Valley - Yosemite - San Francisco. The last couple of trips we slept in a tent. I missed sleeping in back of the 4runner. This seemed like a great option. 1/2 birch plywood. Drawers slide great, no rails more storage space. Aluminum edging were needed.View attachment 1571631 View attachment 1571632 View attachment 1571633 View attachment 1571634I took a gamble and did not add the wings, we inflated the mattress and tried it out. We don't think the wings are required. View attachment 1571635 next week I am getting a cnc to cut plywood panels. Couple of weeks short.

In the last photo, with air mattress, are your 2nd row seats folded forward, or are they removed? Looks good!

Beautiful and inspiring!

Seats are folded forward, going to need them to hold the kids.

What size mattress is that? Sorry for all the questions, but I tried putting a full size in mine, but with rear seats in it was too long. I prefer seats in also. Looks good! Mine is currently in pieces as I’m re-building my framework with aluminum angle to replace all the wood.

What size mattress is that? Sorry for all the questions, but I tried putting a full size in mine, but with rear seats in it was too long. I prefer seats in also. Looks good! Mine is currently in pieces as I’m re-building my framework with aluminum angle to replace all the wood.

No worries on the questions

Let me know if I can clarify anything else.

No problem, seats are folded from the top half only. It's a Coleman-single Queen. View attachment 1571671

Ok... I’m tracking now! I’m going to have to grab a queen mattress now! Thank you again.... keep posting the build pics!
*did you put anything down for the drawers to slide on? I didn’t and I have zero problems opening and closing them..... empty, full, sideways, on a hill, ..... never had a issue.

Ok... I’m tracking now! I’m going to have to grab a queen mattress now! Thank you again.... keep posting the build pics!
*did you put anything down for the drawers to slide on? I didn’t and I have zero problems opening and closing them..... empty, full, sideways, on a hill, ..... never had a issue.

The Build is pretty much done! maybe some tweaks.
I didn't use anything on the drawers for sliding, I used a paste wax to seal and slide.

I did put a couple of holes in the back, I was getting some air suction, slowing down the movement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom