Rear disc brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to swap rear discs onto my 1976 FJ40 and ideally keep the OEM master cylinder and booster. I'm running 35s and could always use some extra help stopping them. Tired of leaky cylinders and replacing ruined brake shoes every couple of years. After finding another leaker today, I'm ready to ditch the drums. Any idea who offers the strongest and most complete kit out there that will work for my 40? Searched the archives but most information is 10+ years old plus I'd appreciate any advice from those who have switched. Thank you!

20160803_151538.jpg

I used Poser's brackets and rotors when I put rear discs on my '74 FJ55. Got calipers at Napa. Borrowed a good flaring tool. Has to be 10 years ago or so. Used my original master cylinder until just recently putting in an 80 series master and a City Racer booster.

I used Poser's brackets and rotors when I put rear discs on my '74 FJ55. Got calipers at Napa. Borrowed a good flaring tool. Has to be 10 years ago or so. Used my original master cylinder until just recently putting in an 80 series master and a City Racer booster.
Going to but adding rear discs soon. Did the 80 Master and booster help much? I'd like to get it right from the start. Thanks.

Going to but adding rear discs soon. Did the 80 Master and booster help much? I'd like to get it right from the start. Thanks.
Most people who go with rear disc brakes at least upgrade to an 80s series brake master cylinder. You can also you a mid 90’s T100 brake master cylinder. Both are good options. Cityracer offers an upgraded booster, but this may not be needed. You will also probably need a proportioning valve on the rear line if you don’t already have one.

+2 for Poser

I’ll chime in on the @Poser kit. Really like it and parts are easy to come by. I used a mid 90’s mini truck booster and master- mostly because my pick n pull had it. No complaints, stops nicely with proportioning valve.
My stock booster was shot, so it was a pretty easy choice. I had to mod the link , but otherwise it was really straight forward.

I bought a TSM kit probably 20 years ago stilling using the same master and booster 1978 year cruiser for as long as I can remember even still on the original calipers and pads I bought when I did the conversion ,not sure why the pads haven’t wore out yet. Lol. I guess I don’t drive it enough. Would love to do a master upgrade for sure but what I have still works. I just pulled the rear residual valve out of the master and added the prop valve it will still lock up the rears on hard stops. Which sucks with a locker
I am hoping a 80 series master would fix that issue
Who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom